Home | Community | Message Board

SoulSpeciosa Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Herb Grinder

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinenatural_world
Stranger
Loc: Aotearoa
Greetings hunters! hey kiwis...
    #4302541 - 06/16/05 04:48 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I'm so stoked that I stumbled across this forum, it's badass. Have been reading for the last few hours  :thumbup:  As this is my first post I'd like to say hi to all the crew that post on here, especially my Kiwi brethren. 

I've only ever taken mushrooms once and I had a blast - "blue meanies" apparently. I've been meaning to take them again ever since but it has just never happened (i rely on others hooking me up) but now I've decided to have a crack at hunting them myself. So, I'm gonna start hunting around auckland soon. Is the season still cranking? I'll probably be asking a few questions soon but at the moment I'm just doing a shit load of reading.

Sweet!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinenatural_world
Stranger
Re: Greetings hunters! hey kiwis... [Re: natural_world]
    #4305201 - 06/16/05 09:29 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Ok, i've been reading heaps and collecting lots of pictures but am still unsure exactly which mushrooms I should be looking for in Auckland.

It seems, from my reading, that the psychoactive varieties that I am likely to find (if I find any) are:

Copelandia cyanescens
Psilocybe semilanceata
Psilocybe subaeruginosa

Is this correct?

OfflineCyberdyne
Stranger
    #4305275 - 06/16/05 09:42 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

What part of Auckland are you in?

West and far north you will find Cope's
All over you will find Psilocybe Aucklandii (I believe the slang goldtop usually refers to these but may also get confused with sub's)
All over: Sub's.

Semilanceata was, I think, found once on a lawn in Auckland. If you fidn a liberty cap up here post a pic as it will be quite the rare find...

InvisibleLouiseLouise
starstruck
Male User Gallery

Loc: Searching w/my good eye c...
Trusted Identifier
    #4305277 - 06/16/05 09:42 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Sounds accurate, but I don't really know.
Welcome to the shroomery :smile:
Reading is really the best thing you could do. Speaking of which, we get a noob reading instead of posting something like "Wut can I find in my area that will fuk me up?" and nobody welcomes you?
What would we do without trolls?  :blush:

:smirk:
Enjoy your stay, there is much reliable information here. Probly more than you can read.

:peace:

--------------------
"That's why you get in close to them, and then take the picture!! Don't be a pussy!" ~CC

OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site
Re: Greetings hunters! hey kiwis... [Re: LouiseLouise]
    #4305461 - 06/16/05 10:19 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

nice greetings into this place, it sure is a great community of knowledge. I personaly have learned alot from this site, and im sure you will too with a good year or two worth of experience. I hope to see you around more often, get crackin' on those subs. Did you check out the australia and NZ forum? theres tons of photos of findings in there!

Offlinenatural_world
Stranger
Re: Greetings hunters! hey kiwis... [Re: CptnGarden]
    #4305629 - 06/16/05 11:00 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Cheers guys, thanks for the kind greetings. It's been really interesting reading this messageboard - I've been learning heaps. I didn't realise how strong the mushroom culture was!

Cyberdyne: I'm in the east, but I'm planning to drive all over the show. Was gonna hit the west and woodhill etc. I was wondering if the One Tree Hill domain would be a good spot - heaps of cows and sheep around.

OfflineCyberdyne
Stranger
    #4305926 - 06/17/05 12:36 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I live in Howick my man :wink: 

I have two patches of Sub's in my street alone.  I didn't realise that sub's existed until fairly recently, and have been walking past these patches for years, literally.

Keep your eyes peeled locally, learn the key identifying features and don't write places off just b/c you've been there before.  I found a patch of sub's (only about 5) sitting in literally a sea of non actives today.  Theres really no point going out to those places when they're is so much joy to be had locally.

There are certain golf courses, reserves etc locally that are pretty well known so they are always good places to start hunting.

Don't worry about cow's and sheep, you should be targetting sub's, which I would imagine can grow on dung (really not sure), but vast vast majority grow on bark/mulch/wood.

Offlinenatural_world
Stranger
Re: Greetings hunters! hey kiwis... [Re: Cyberdyne]
    #4306145 - 06/17/05 01:40 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

That's wicked cyberdyne. I live in Meadowbank so I guess we're in fairly similar locations - will keep my eyes peeled.

It hasn't been raining recently has it? Or is recent rain not absolutely necessary?

OfflineCyberdyne
Stranger
    #4306156 - 06/17/05 01:44 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I have heard from a reliable source that there are actives in your area.

Remember I also suggested looking around bodies of water...*hint hint*

Theres been little rain lately so growth has been slow but as I say, I found a few today so they are there to be found. Probably better to wait for the impending deluge and have a looksy on saturday evening or sunday day.

Offlinenatural_world
Stranger
    #4306308 - 06/17/05 02:33 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

wicked bro, cheers for the tips. Bodies of water eh? Hmm...

Really looking forward to the hunt now, will try to nick my sister's camera incase I find some likely lookin' specimens.

I finished uni on Wednesday and don't have a job so I've got shitloads of free time. What better way to spend it?

Offlinenatural_world
Stranger
    #4308273 - 06/17/05 06:44 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Hey guys, was going to go for a hunt today with a guy who reckons he's been doing it for 20 years but he didn't want to go out in the rain. However, he ended up giving us a bag of 30 mushrooms which he got from his spot some time ago - very nice of him. I'm just unsure of what kind they are. He calls them blue meanies so I guess that refers to Copelandia cyanescens but i want to be sure.

So, I have a query for you Auckland fellas: The mushrooms are from Woodhill forest, and the dude is calling them blue meanies. Does this sound right? He's had them for a few days so they're kinda shrivelled so I can't offer a decent photo. They are definitely active and he takes them all the time but I just want to know if they might not be blue meanies for dosage purposes.

Cheers.

Invisiblezee_werp
a fractalcreature
 User Gallery

#4308624 - 06/17/05 08:43 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Hey there natural_world, welcome to the forums. I wish you much luck in your shroom quest! Theres a few things I think you need to know, just to help you on your way...

-Nearly EVERY species of magic mushroom in the WORLD gets reffered to as 'blue meanies'. And a lot of them also get reffered to as 'gold tops'. Pretty much 'blue meanies' and 'gold tops' just mean 'magic mushroom' and a lot of people call Ps. subaerguinosa both blue meanies and gold tops in NZ. So its really not a reliable way of IDing something. The shrooms the dude gave you are almost certainly Ps.subaeruginosa or maybe Ps. aucklandii. Yes, thats right, the Auckland area has its own species of magic shroom! Not only this but C. cyanescens is a warmer weather shroom, they like it when its hot and humid, not cold and damp. And it grows out of shit, not forest.

-You won't find liberty caps or ps.cubensis growing in the North Island (won't find cubes anywhere in NZ unless human cultivated), theres not much point in checking out cow and sheep paddocs unless you want to look for some copes in the humid summer months.

-There are a LOT of false 'urban myths' about mushrooms in NZ. eg. they contain strichtine, they make your brain bleed, you can die from them, bla bla bla etc. So be careful about what you beleive. Best to do research on the net (from reliable websites) or from actual journal articles or books.

Thats about all I can think of right now. Hope it helped. In auckland, all of the shrooms you'll be looking for at this time of year are a type called 'wood lovers', as in psilocybes that grow off wood. So you want to be looking in woodchip gardens, forests (pine or native usually), or areas with a lot of decaying wood.

Good luck!!

Offlinenatural_world
Stranger
Re: Greetings hunters! hey kiwis... [Re: zee_werp]
    #4308943 - 06/17/05 10:11 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Awesome, thanks for the comments zee_werp, very helpful :thumbup:
My mate and I were not sure how to prepare the mushrooms for consumption (were a bit sketchy about boiling them into tea) so we just blended them up with a bit of water into a slimy ooze. Will have to "man up" and force it down.

gonna cruise around my hood now and see what i can see. Peace!

OfflineCyberdyne
Stranger
    #4309510 - 06/18/05 12:39 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

eat em fresh dude! Best and most potent way!

Dont blend em, don't f*ck with them, just harden up and chomp them down. the 'awful' taste is highly highly exaggerated and more about the somewhat slimey texture than anythign else. I think you will find if you leave them to dry, most actives will taste somewhat nutty, and not that bad at all.

If you really cant handle it, pop one in your mouth and begin skulling out of a coke bottle, chew and swallow whilst still skulling then skull a bit more after for good measure (make sure u dont drink too much coke or you'll get a sore stomach).

The fizz and flavour will trump the mushroom and all you get is the unpleasant texture.

Offlinenatural_world
Stranger
    #4309709 - 06/18/05 01:38 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah i'm starting to think that would be the best way, just eating them whole. The ones we got aren't fresh though i think they're a few days old.

If we boiled up the blended ooze with maybe a cup or two of water for 10 minutes (like we were told to do with the whole mushrooms) do you think they will still work? I just want to dilute the ooze a bit, it's damn thick.

Invisiblezee_werp
a fractalcreature
 User Gallery

#4311823 - 06/18/05 09:38 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Yep. It'll work. Then you could grab a (clean) sock or stocking, and strain em through that. Add a couple of herbal tea bags and you'll be on your way. Chai works well, as does milo, for disguising the flavour.

Just don't leave it sittin round for too long. Like anything else, it can get contaminated.

InvisibleSuperD
Cacti junky
 User Gallery

Loc: The bridgesii bridge
Re: Greetings hunters! hey kiwis... [Re: zee_werp]
    #4312007 - 06/18/05 10:38 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Blending them to a fine powder with a coffee grinder or similar device then pouring the powder into a bottle of orange juice does the trick for me every time.  It takes A LOT of powder before you actually start noticing the mushroom taste.  Since you've already made them into a thick goo this might still work if you mix it with the OJ.  Good luck whatever you choose!  Oh and welcome to the boards  :cool:

--------------------
:super:D
Manoa said:
I need to stop spending all my money on plants and take up a cheaper hobby, like heroin. :lol:

Looking for Rauhocereus riosaniensis seeds or live specimen(s), :pm: me if you have any for trade

Offlinenatural_world
Stranger
Re: Greetings hunters! hey kiwis... [Re: SuperD]
    #4312037 - 06/18/05 10:51 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

sweet, chhers fellas. will probably do the chai tea thing for this lot, but the orange juice thing sounds pretty good also. You do the OJ with dried mushrooms right SuperD?

P.S I like that sig!

InvisibleSuperD
Cacti junky
 User Gallery

Loc: The bridgesii bridge
    #4312052 - 06/18/05 10:59 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Yes, bone dry mush ground up in a coffee grinder. I store the powder in huge glass air tight jars until I feel it's time to dose.

--------------------
:super:D
Manoa said:
I need to stop spending all my money on plants and take up a cheaper hobby, like heroin. :lol:

Looking for Rauhocereus riosaniensis seeds or live specimen(s), :pm: me if you have any for trade

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Herb Grinder

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification