Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Incense, Salvia

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisibleveggie

Loc: Flag
New York State Targets Salvia
    #4301821 - 06/16/05 12:53 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

New York State Targets Salvia
June 16, 2005 - longislandpress.com

It's available at stores across Long Island. It is a known hallucinogen. And it is totally legal - for now. Salvia, a member of the mint family, has, up till now, flown under the radar of law enforcement. But it has just been targeted by the New York State Legislature.

The state Senate last week passed a bill proposed by Sen. John Flanagan (R-Smithtown) to create a fine of $500 for selling Salvia.

"This is an interim measure to raise awareness of the drug and allow law enforcement and science to continue further study before we engage in full criminalization," Flanagan says. A similar bill pending in the state Assembly would make possession of the herb a crime, but one punishable with only a $50 fine.

Narcotics detectives in Nassau and Suffolk counties have little information on the substance, authorities say. A spokesperson for the New York office of the federal Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) says since Salvia isn't a controlled substance, they're not looking for it. However, no official felt sufficiently knowledgeable about Salvia, short for Salvia divinorum ("Salvia of the seers"), to comment.

Sam Naderi owns Funtazia, a head shop in East Meadow. He says he's been selling the product-at $20 to $60 per gram-to a growing clientele for about three years.

"I figured sooner or later somebody would make a stink about it," Naderi says.

He hadn't heard of the proposed ban, but hopes the state will give warning if it passes. "I wouldn't put it past them to completely criminalize it, then come down here and fine us," he says. "Hopefully, it won't pass."

Salvia distributors, such as Florida-based Club 13, say the herb is intended to be used for meditation or as incense. Still, there is little information about it, and scientists don't know how it works because they haven't studied it. Novice horticulturists needn't worry, though: The species of Salvia that gets you high is distinct from the flowering plant or culinary garden sage many grow in their yards.

Salvia is indigenous to Mexico and is not a controlled substance, according to the DEA, although the agency does list it as a "drug of concern." The psychoactive ingredient is Salvinorin A. The Food and Drug Administration classifies it as one of its "new drugs," because the agency lacks evidence that it is recognized as safe.

"It is a drug that produces hallucinations similar to those experienced by LSD, and is readily available and legally for sale on the Internet," Flanagan says. Multiple Nassau and Suffolk retailers have Salvia readily in stock. "This drug is rapidly increasing in popularity among recreational drug users, especially among young adults and adolescents," Flanagan says, noting that it appears to be most prevalent on college campuses.

Salvia divinorum is sold at varying intensities, and smoking as little as one-sixth of a gram can cause intoxication, depending on potency and personal tolerance. The herb, which smells like tea and looks like marijuana, has effects that can last from five minutes to as much as three hours, according to Club 13.

The Assembly bill includes information about high doses that reportedly have made users "get up and lunge around the room, falling over furniture, babbling incomprehensible nonsense and knocking their heads into walls." Our tester, however, found that a low dose mostly just induced about two minutes of intense giggling. Fun, but not $50 fun.

Several states unsuccessfully attempted to ban Salvia in the last three years, but the measures failed because the drug is not chemically related to any illegal substances, Club 13 officials say. Missouri does have a law that prohibits sale to minors. Congress failed to pass a nationwide ban on the herb last year, but it has been banned in other countries, such as Australia, Denmark and Italy.

Brian Del Re, president of Club 13, says a ban on the drug "just takes another choice away from Americans in pursuit of liberty."

While Salvia retailers statewide may be concerned about their merchandise being so close to illegal, at least they can enjoy the uptick of sales now that proposals to ban it are putting the herb in the spotlight.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineGNIOM1498
Death Cup
 User Gallery

Loc: My home is where my spiri...
Re: New York State Targets Salvia [Re: veggie]
    #4302725 - 06/16/05 08:58 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Well it is starting everyone around here pretty much predicted it would.  Got my plant.  :wink:

--------------------

----ALL MY POSTS ARE FICTIONAL-------

InvisibleSuperD
Cacti junky
 User Gallery

Loc: The bridgesii bridge
Re: New York State Targets Salvia [Re: GNIOM1498]
    #4302780 - 06/16/05 09:41 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

<<The Assembly bill includes information about high doses that reportedly have made users "get up and lunge around the room, falling over furniture, babbling incomprehensible nonsense and knocking their heads into walls.">>

I think that description fits the effects of alcohol just as well, if not better.

--------------------
:super:D
Manoa said:
I need to stop spending all my money on plants and take up a cheaper hobby, like heroin. :lol:

Looking for Rauhocereus riosaniensis seeds or live specimen(s), :pm: me if you have any for trade

Offlinewrestler_az
PsiLLy BiLLy
Male User Gallery Arcade Champion: Chopper Challenge

Loc: day dreams of a mad man
    #4302790 - 06/16/05 09:49 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

"This drug is rapidly increasing in popularity among recreational drug users

lol, i hardly find salvia "recreational"

Quote:

The herb, which smells like tea and looks like marijuana

looks like marijuana? not like any ive been smoking lately :smirk:

time to stock up on it folks, if salvia is your choice for "recreation".....im not a big fan of the drug myself, though i do tend to try it every 4 months or so, just to remind me why i dont like it. heh

--------------------
how's your WOW?

Edited by yageman (04/20/06 4:20 PM) 

Invisiblekake
The answer to1984 is 1776.
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The 66th harmonic
Re: New York State Targets Salvia [Re: wrestler_az]
    #4302925 - 06/16/05 11:00 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Man, these journalists sure know how to sensationalize. Similar effects to LSD? WTF? Never have I ever experienced anything close to LSD on Salvia. Similar in that it causes hallucinations maybe? Great way to get people thinking that its some crazy 8-hour long trip like LSD.

Recreational? Hrrmm....no.

Popular among adolescents? Hrrmm...no.

These people need to be spanked.

--------------------
The answer to 1984 is 1776.

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Rabbit Hole
    #4303313 - 06/16/05 01:09 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

no official felt sufficiently knowledgeable about Salvia, short for Salvia divinorum ("Salvia of the seers"), to comment

But they're somehow sufficiently knowledgeable to pass judgment and make it illegal. Alright... :shake:

--------------------
Republican Values:

1) You can't get married to your spouse who is the same sex as you.
2) You can't have an abortion no matter how much you don't want a child.
3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

4) We need a smaller, less-intrusive government.

OfflinemotamanM
old hand
 User Gallery
    #4304524 - 06/16/05 06:23 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

"It is a drug that produces hallucinations similar to those experienced by LSD

hah .

--------------------
http://heffter.org

InvisibleSuperD
Cacti junky
 User Gallery

Loc: The bridgesii bridge
Re: New York State Targets Salvia [Re: motaman]
    #4304889 - 06/16/05 08:06 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Almost every other hallucinogen that's reported in news articles seems to have that phrase in it.. "blah blah...similar to LSD"  I WISH this were the case, because if it were, I'd be stockpiling up on the Salvia  :lol:  I don't find it to be anything even remotely close to LSD.  But maybe that's just me.

--------------------
:super:D
Manoa said:
I need to stop spending all my money on plants and take up a cheaper hobby, like heroin. :lol:

Looking for Rauhocereus riosaniensis seeds or live specimen(s), :pm: me if you have any for trade

OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

Re: New York State Targets Salvia [Re: SuperD]
    #4306257 - 06/17/05 02:12 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

I thought this article was written fairly decently, or at least they managed to get quite a few people who are against criminalization.

This is very troubling news for me, as I find salvia to be such a signifigant and vaulable tool. I guess I better get a cutting or two. Why do these crunches always come at times when I'm low on money?

Here's the most important part for us NYers. What can we do to prevent this from becoming NY law? Any ideas? We should be writing our congress(wo)men, but who specifically? I say let's get the lead out and inform these people with intelligent discussion.

OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

Re: New York State Targets Salvia [Re: Twirling]
    #4306271 - 06/17/05 02:20 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

BTW, if anyone has a cutting they could part with, PM me. We could work out a trade or something.

Offlinewannabemushy
Stranger

Re: New York State Targets Salvia [Re: Twirling]
    #4308729 - 06/17/05 09:11 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

its popular here where i live amoung teenagers big time ESPECIALLY NAVY people... hrmm

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Incense, Salvia

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service