Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblefufungi
Stranger
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Cannabis test 'positive' for AMs
    #4301772 - 06/16/05 12:39 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/south_east/4096562.stm

Cannabis test 'positive' for AMs
William Graham and Edwina Hart
Politicians' hands could have picked up drug traces from handling cash or using a door
A Welsh assembly member who called for his colleagues to volunteer to try out a new drug detection machine has tested "positive" for cannabis himself.

Swabs taken from Conservative AM William Graham's hands at the Welsh assembly building revealed traces of the drug, probably from a door handle.

He had arranged for police to come in to demonstrate the hi-tech machine.

Social Justice Minister Edwina Hart's hands were similarly cross-contaminated also bringing a positive test.

Mr Graham, a long time campaigner on substance abuse issues, said: "I can't think where I could have got it from".

He had arranged with Gwent Police, who had recently bought the first Ion Track drug detection system in Wales at a cost of ?40,000, to demonstrate it to assembly members in Cardiff Bay.

The machine can detect traces of drugs or explosives several days after a person has come into contact with them, even if they have washed their hands.

Image of cannabis
The machine can trace minute traces of drugs

A swab paper is wiped over a person's hands and then placed into the machine which then analyses it for drugs including cocaine, heroin, ecstasy and cannabis.

The resulting reading indicates how many drugs are present in the sample and at what levels.

It is so sensitive it can detect the equivalent in drugs of a grain of salt in an Olympic-sized swimming pool.

A similar test of fellow AM Ms Hart showed that although she had not been using drugs, her hands had been cross contaminated with traces of the substance, from door handles, money or other public areas.

It can come out of cash, out of a cashpoint, a beer mat, or anything else
Edwina Hart AM

"You could pick it up from anywhere couldn't you?" she said.

The machine is used by Gwent Police to test people queuing for a night club, and to detect traces of drugs in a house where the actual substances had already been removed.

A spokesman for Gwent Police said: "It must be borne in mind that anyone taking the test can test positive as a result of cross contamination."

Other AMs lined up to have swabs of their hands tested by the machine with Jonathan Morgan and Owen Jon Thomas both coming up "clean" on the machine.

Nick Bourne, leader of the Welsh Conservatives, also got a clear result.

"May I pay tribute to the Ion Track system, despite the fact that both the minister and William Graham tested positive on it - I was relieved that I didn't - but it is an excellent system nevertheless," he said.

Ms Hart responded: "It can come out of cash, out of a cashpoint, a beer mat, or anything else. It is a very sophisticated system that can pick up anything if you have been in contact with someone's jacket or anything."

Divisional Crime Prevention Officer Pc Simon James said that while the results could not be used as evidence, they can indicate to officers that a person should be searched or questioned.

Mr Graham, who represents South Wales East, said: "Anything that deters people from taking drugs is a good thing. If people know this thing exists then they will know that they might get caught".

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblefufungi
Stranger
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Cannabis test 'positive' for AMs [Re: fufungi]
    #4301792 - 06/16/05 12:46 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

fufungi said:
Divisional Crime Prevention Officer Pc Simon James said that while the results could not be used as evidence, they can indicate to officers that a person should be searched or questioned.

So were these politicians "searched or questions". This thing is so sensitive that anyone can test 'positive', so what good is it?!?

OfflinePink_buffalo2000
I am the whiterabbit

Loc: the internet
    #4302024 - 06/16/05 01:40 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

sounds like a bunch of bullshit, just like lie detector tests

--------------------

InvisibleSuperD
Cacti junky
 User Gallery

Loc: The bridgesii bridge
Re: Cannabis test 'positive' for AMs [Re: Pink_buffalo2000]
    #4302769 - 06/16/05 09:34 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

It's the latest and greatest Privacy Invader 5000?

--------------------
:super:D
Manoa said:
I need to stop spending all my money on plants and take up a cheaper hobby, like heroin. :lol:

Looking for Rauhocereus riosaniensis seeds or live specimen(s), :pm: me if you have any for trade

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #4303475 - 06/16/05 01:58 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

> This thing is so sensitive that anyone can test 'positive', so what good is it?!?

... you just answered your own question.  The thing is so sensitive that we can use it to allow us to legally search anybody!  :smile:

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineThe_Red_Crayon
Exposer of Truth
Male User Gallery

Loc: Smokey Mtns. TN Flag
    #4314799 - 06/19/05 08:54 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Well the thought police are finally here.

InvisibleShroomOmatic
Ethno Apprentice
Male User Gallery
Loc: Sailing the Seas of Chees...
Re: Cannabis test 'positive' for AMs [Re: Pink_buffalo2000]
    #4315023 - 06/19/05 10:13 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Thats a bunch of bullshit....

--------------------

Offlineleery11
I Tell You What!

Re: Cannabis test 'positive' for AMs [Re: ShroomOmatic]
    #4348992 - 06/29/05 02:07 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

"Anything that deters people from taking drugs is a good thing. If people know this thing exists then they will know that they might get caught".

Fucking bullshit. Lies, murder, theft, coercion are all good things?

Fuck this, those lunatics were just flagged down, not even begin drug users, and are enthusiastic about this happening (with inherent legal rammifciations and unnecessary duress) to ***innocent*** people

what the hell is wrong with this world.

--------------------
I am the MacDaddy of Heimlich County, I play it Straight Up Yo!

....I embrace my desire to feel the rhythm, to feel connected enough to step aside and weep like a widow, to feel inspired, to fathom the power, to witness the beauty, to bathe in the fountain, to swing on the spiral of our divinity and still be a human......
Om Namah Shivaya, I tell you What!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service