Home | Community | Message Board

Fairy Ring Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Agar, Calcium Carbonate, Coir, Oyster Shell, Peat, Vermiculite, pH Test Strips

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineextinguishment
day tripper
 User Gallery

Loc: Further
calcium carbonate necessary with peat/verm case?
    #4300647 - 06/15/05 07:36 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

i have some sphangnum too but no calcium cabonate yet, so i resorted to vermiculite only in a tray like this with 2 crumble pf cakes

ill give an update on how it turns out.

Edited by extinguishment (06/15/05 08:03 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinebumper
Playin EVE
 User Gallery

Loc: Middle of Canada
Re: disadvantages of using vermiculite only to case with?? [Re: extinguishment]
    #4300680 - 06/15/05 07:49 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

I haven't added anything to my casings as of yet and I use 50/50 peat and verm and the first 2 flushs turn out nice.
Just using verm I have found that you get less mushrooms and you cant tell if its drying out as easly as when the peat is mixed in. If you use peat don't forget to remove all the little pieces of wood.

Peace and good luck with your casing.

--------------------
Pitbulls are like any other dog, they can be trained to be nasty or they can be trained to be good, some are smart and some are stupid, just like every other breed.
Their tough, stubborn and loyal, which is easily turned into something horrible in the wrong hands.

OfflineWronguy
Trusted Cultivator
Re: disadvantages of using vermiculite only to case with?? [Re: bumper]
    #4300778 - 06/15/05 08:21 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Not to trump on you Bumper, but removing the wood from the peat is completely unnecessary. The amount of wood in peat moss is minimal at best and have never slowed down my fruiting. Assuming that the sticks even have any nutrients left in them anyway.

I definitely agree on the Vermiculite, Bumper. Nice.

Offlinebumper
Playin EVE
 User Gallery

Loc: Middle of Canada
Re: disadvantages of using vermiculite only to case with?? [Re: Wronguy]
    #4300823 - 06/15/05 08:33 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

I'm just going from personal experience, I had one casing that contaminated, forgetting to pick the lumber out was the only part of the process that I didn't do, so I came to the conclusion to pick it out. All my other casings have had no contamination. I pick out at least 30 to 40 pieces of wood in the peat moss that I use for my casings.

Peace and have a good one

Edit- not tryin to sound stand offish, just red my post and it sounds like it a bit so I thought I should add this, its just my opinion of course.  :smile:

--------------------
Pitbulls are like any other dog, they can be trained to be nasty or they can be trained to be good, some are smart and some are stupid, just like every other breed.
Their tough, stubborn and loyal, which is easily turned into something horrible in the wrong hands.

Edited by bumper (06/15/05 08:54 PM)

OfflineWronguy
Trusted Cultivator
Re: disadvantages of using vermiculite only to case with?? [Re: bumper]
    #4300855 - 06/15/05 08:42 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Not at all Bumper, on feeling stand offish. We all have our different experiences using different methods. Hopefully he'll find what works for him and have success.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: disadvantages of using vermiculite only to case with?? [Re: Wronguy]
    #4300877 - 06/15/05 08:44 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

I pick out the wood and stones too, just cause I like a uniform casing...I dont know if it really matters, but it only takes a few minutes of my time..

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
Re: calcium carbonate necessary with peat/verm case? [Re: extinguishment]
    #4301046 - 06/15/05 09:30 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

extinguishment said:
i have some sphangnum too but no calcium cabonate yet, so i resorted to vermiculite only in a tray like this with 2 crumble pf cakes

ill give an update on how it turns out.

Don't confuse sphagnum moss with sphagnum peat moss. Sphagnum moss and sphagnum peat moss are not the same product. Sphagnum moss is used in the floral industry to line wire baskets and make wreaths. It is the LIVING moss that grows on top of a sphagnum bog. Sphagnum peat moss is used as a soil conditioner by gardeners. It is the dead material that accumulates in the lower levels of a sphagnum bog. Harvesters of the horticultural peat moss remove the top few inches of the live sphagnum moss before harvesting the peat from the lower levels of the bog.

There has also been some confusion about which of the two is actually the source of a fungal disease called Cutaneous Sporotrichosis, which according to Gerry Hood of the Canadian Sphagnum Peat Moss Association, is causing some concern within gardening circles. Sporotrichosis is a chronic infection identified by ulcerous skin lesions and is caused by coming in contact with the fungus, Sporothrix schenckii. Research has found no cases of sporotrichosis being transmitted in sphagnum peat moss. However, the fungus Sporothrix schenckii,does live in the top, living portion of the bog that is removed before peat harvesting.

--------------------

Offlinebrewwhaha1
Stranger thanmost
Re: calcium carbonate necessary with peat/verm case? [Re: agar]
    #4301104 - 06/15/05 09:52 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

i too remove the woody bits. I like to screen them out with a chunk of mechanics cloth. I then sift it thru again gor good measure.
P.s. wear a dust mask when doing this or you will be coughting black crap for a couple of days.

Offlineextinguishment
day tripper
 User Gallery

Loc: Further
Re: calcium carbonate necessary with peat/verm case? [Re: agar]
    #4305516 - 06/16/05 10:29 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

thanks for the tip agar - i was lucky and got the right stuff anyway. im guessing a good mix to make is 50/50 verm/peat (field capacity moisture) + a little oystershell powder and a tiny bit of hydrated lime, PCed for an hour.

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
Re: calcium carbonate necessary with peat/verm case? [Re: extinguishment]
    #4305566 - 06/16/05 10:39 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

A better mix (my opinion - only) would be to use hydrated lime to adjust the ph of the peat to 7.5, or 8 (requires ph test strips or a meter), then add the verm, a handfull of coir, hydrate the whole thing, them a handfull of the oyster shell flour as a medium & long tern buffer.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Agar, Calcium Carbonate, Coir, Oyster Shell, Peat, Vermiculite, pH Test Strips

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation