Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineTrooper454420
Stranger
lids for cakes and LC
    #4300277 - 06/15/05 06:19 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

i recently got together tyvek, rtv silicon sealant and windshield vacuum tubing. After searching other posts, i believe the tyvek goes under the lid. lid has two holes drilled and vacuum tubing gets sealed to said holes. Is that pressure cookerable? and if so does polyfil go in afterwards so it doesn't get wet? I think im really just looking for confirmation, and pointers on anything else would be great. also, can i use just tyvek and the metal ring on jars instead of tyvek, the metal plate+ring?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflinekronnyQ
SuperstudExtraordinaire
 User Gallery

Loc: Anytown USA
Re: lids for cakes and LC [Re: Trooper454420]
    #4300379 - 06/15/05 06:37 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

You want to put the whole deal together before PC, and yes if you got the right silicon it will hold up to a PCin.

I used to just use tyvek and lids with no tops, and I'm pretty sure thats what led to all my contamination problems because when you inoculate without a lid, the tyvek pops up and down sucking in contaminants.

OfflineCLUTCH
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: lids for cakes and LC [Re: Trooper454420]
    #4301932 - 06/16/05 01:21 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Somebody correct me if I"m wrong here but, Trooper, you don't use Tyvek AND polyfil on the same jar.  Just one or the other.

And if this jar is for an LC, then you would want to put polyfil in the end of the tube, but you don't use tyvek here.  Only the polyfil is all you need as a contaminant filter.  For the cakes, as I think you are also asking for, you dont use either.  PF cakes should only use a layer of Vermiculite on top of the BRF.  However, you could use Tyvek instead.

Good Luck to ya. :japsmile:

OfflineTrooper454420
Stranger
Re: lids for cakes and LC [Re: CLUTCH]
    #4307328 - 06/17/05 01:23 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Ok, what your saying makes sense. How then do i keep the water in the pc from getting into my jars when cooking them? would just foil around the tubing work? also, it seems to me that putting plain verm on top of the cakes would harbor contams, yes? oh, and another question; will aluminum foil allow for enough gas exchange in colonizing pf cakes?

Offlinepcubmycol
flattiefisherman

Loc: Selectively breeding the ...
Re: lids for cakes and LC [Re: CLUTCH]
    #4307386 - 06/17/05 01:56 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

CLUTCH said:
Somebody correct me if I"m wrong here but, Trooper, you don't use Tyvek AND polyfil on the same jar.  Just one or the other.

And if this jar is for an LC, then you would want to put polyfil in the end of the tube, but you don't use tyvek here.  Only the polyfil is all you need as a contaminant filter.  For the cakes, as I think you are also asking for, you dont use either.  PF cakes should only use a layer of Vermiculite on top of the BRF.  However, you could use Tyvek instead.

Good Luck to ya. :japsmile:

no, you do use tyvek and polyfil on the same jar. Go read any tek on whole grain prep on the shroomery website. The same methods described in that tek will keep contams out of cakes or LC's as well.. Jar then tyvek, then lid stuffed with polyfil then the band. PC at 15psi for 1 hour then inoculate then place 2 coffee filters over the lid and keep down by putting a rubberband around the filter just underneath the band. If doing an LC, this is likely not needed. I just turn the lids upside down on all my LC's leave the band loose, put in a cabinent, and have NEVER had problems with contams.

--------------------
weretheshit.com is the shit!

:-D

Offlinelepiota
expert infailures
 User Gallery

Loc: Europe
Re: lids for cakes and LC [Re: pcubmycol]
    #4307473 - 06/17/05 02:30 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

i have used both tyvek and polyfill in jars many times and it worked fine: safe and fast. but it is probably overkill, one of the 2 should be fine. i prefer polifill because you don't have a hole to seal once you have pierced it with a needle.
this is how i do tubing, then:

--------------------
SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL FSR!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation