Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineBlue Helix
bold hand
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Success!! (There is a question in here too) [Re: Smallworlds]
    #4297602 - 06/15/05 12:02 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

From a bacterial and mold perspective, the bathroom is seldom as dirty as the kitchen. Where there is food, there is mold and mold spores, period. Where there is a toilet there might be bacteria, but there seldom is mold which is tons worse.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

Re: Success!! (There is a question in here too) [Re: Blue Helix]
    #4297788 - 06/15/05 12:51 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Good point :wink:...

But what if I told you I barely cleaned my bathrooms...compared to my kitchen...:smirk:

-Gnostic

OfflineBlue Helix
bold hand
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Success!! (There is a question in here too) [Re: IGnosticAbhorI]
    #4297834 - 06/15/05 01:02 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Actually, IGnosticAbhorI, if you told me that, I'd say you are normal. Sociological studies have shown that a typical house is far less clean than most believe. People tend to clean their house or apartment when company arrives which furthers the clean-home conception, but most are only super clean in the fantasy portrayed by movies, sitcoms, and commercials. The phenomenon is rather like the way all the people in movies are just about ten times as attractive as normal.

OfflineCLUTCH
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#4298001 - 06/15/05 02:26 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Smallworlds said:
O.K. guys, fine. I am stepping up to a glove box anyway soon, I just wanted to tell everyone the good news, and how it was achieved this time.

YEY!! :dancing: :dancing:

You guys converted him.

I don't think,  no wait.  I KNOW I will never try the Oven TEK. :thumbdown:

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #4298165 - 06/15/05 04:01 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I wrote this yesterday, but the forum was down so I couldn't post it... it is a bit dated now after all the other posts to this thread, but it still has some good info in it...

There is a large difference in being able to grow a fungus and understanding the scientific method. Without performing a scientific experiment, with both a control group and a test group, you cannot make any claims other than you got lucky. Even if you do a scientific experiment and publish your results, the results are meaningless until your procedures have been peer reviewed and independently verified as accurate.

What is it about a laminer flow hood that keeps contamination away from your work area? If you answered "a sterile laminer air flow" then you were correct. If you answered "sterile air flow" or anything related but left out the word "laminer" then you are incorrect.

Laminer air flow is air that flows evenly, without turbulance. (A filter is typically used to ensure that the airflow is sterile.) When a spore lands in a laminer air flow, it is wisked away from the work area quickly. When a spore lands in a turbulant air flow, it bounces around, up and down, and lands where ever it gets lucky. If you are lucky, then it lands away from your work area. If you are unlucky, then it lands on your actual work.

So the big question here is, "Does an oven produce a sterile laminer air flow." The answer is obviously "I don't know." Can we test for laminer air flow... Yes, this is very easy to see... simply setup your oven as if you were doing work, then light some incense and stick it in the oven and let it burn. Watch the smoke... does it come up and go straight up, or does it spin around and around.

Now... you may be a lucky one that has an oven that does magically produce laminer flow. I haven't see this, but I won't rule out that such a beast may exist. If you are, then you will see the smoke trails go straight up. If you are like me, they will bounce all over the place and produce eddies in the air. Remember though, the flow of air still is not sterile. Just because you have rising air around your work area doesn't mean that the rising air is clean.

You can also use soap bubbles... they work better than smoke, in my opinion. Get a bubble blower and blow a stream of small bubbles into the oven airflow. Do the bubbles land on the work area or are they wisked away. For me, they always land on my work area. If a bubble does, so will a spore or bacteria. My oven actually sucks the bubbles floating near the floor and drops them directly on my work area. Over 90% of all contaminates are located within 1 foot of the floor (gravity).

Finally, if the oven tek works for you, then by all means continue to use it. At the same time, don't ignore the people that claim it doesn't work for them. Every single time that I have used the oven tek, I have contaminated. Once I built a real flow hood my problems went away. For me, the oven tek doesn't work, but if it did, I wouldn't bother with anything else.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

Re: Success!! (There is a question in here too) [Re: Seuss]
    #4298229 - 06/15/05 06:02 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

I'd say you are normal.

Why thank you Blue Helix...

:grin:

-Gnostic

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Success!! (There is a question in here too) [Re: Seuss]
    #4298367 - 06/15/05 08:08 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Well written Suess...

>If you answered "sterile air flow" or anything related but left out the word "laminer" then you are incorrect.
Laminer air flow is air that flows evenly, without turbulance.

I was not aware of this....I knew thats what a flowhood did, but never used the word laminer or knew what it meant. I always just say it produces "a wall" of sterile air...much better though..

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Offlinedoc34
Fungitarian
Male User Gallery

Loc: Myceliaville !!!
Re: Success!! (There is a question in here too) [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4298633 - 06/15/05 09:49 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Smallworlds,

I never used the "Oven Tek",I got $1.00 in a Glovebox that has never let me down.

Nice to know my tek worked for you though!
:thumbup:

:cool: :thumbup:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom