Home | Community | Message Board

Phytoextractum
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Calcium Carbonate, Oyster Shell, pH Test Strips

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineSynaethesia
Astral BodySalesman
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Flatland
Can someone help me track down some supplies?
    #4297636 - 06/15/05 02:12 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

I have been searching all over my area (Des Moines, Iowa), but still these materials have proved to be elusive.

I still need calcium carbonate and crushed oyster shells(50/50+).
Also, I need some trays for my terrariums to hold the casing (10 gal aquariums) 10X20 inches.

I have looked in Earl May, Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart, and PetCo. Still can't find them anywhere. Anyone know type chain store that carries these things or where to look? Thank you if you can help me out.

--------------------
Load Universe into cannon. Aim at brain. Fire.

~Nailing Bee to the Honey

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineBlue Helix
bold hand
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Can someone help me track down some supplies? [Re: Synaethesia]
    #4297796 - 06/15/05 02:53 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

I assume the midwest has feed supply places, right? Crushed oyster shells are used to feed chickens to give them calcium. You can find it anywhere chicken feed is sold. It's about $1 per five pounds of it and often you can buy it by the pound.

Calcium carbonate can be found as garden lime at many of the better garden nurseries. Call around at your local nurseries and ask if they carry oyster shell garden lime to "sweeten the soil". Often they will only have dolemite-based lime, but do not buy that type because it's very high in magnesium which is said to inhibit mycelium growth. The garden lime must be powdered oyster or limestone.

There are many places to get hydrated lime (calcium hydroxide), but that is TOTALLY different from normal garden lime which is mostly calcium carbonate. It's not even the same chemical, and I would not recommend using that type of lime. It has a very high pH and without a pH probe, you are just gambling with it.

Edited by Blue Helix (06/15/05 02:54 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Calcium Carbonate, Oyster Shell, pH Test Strips

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation