Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Invisibleorechron
LIVEWRONG
 User Gallery

Loc: Fallout Zone
treatment of the homeless/mentally ill
    #4297491 - 06/14/05 11:33 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

When I was at work this evening I saw what is probably the most offensive behavior I can imagine. I was sitting on my lake watching the water, etc. when one of the guys that lives in the shelter nearby walks onto the beach, obviously upset about something. He came up to me and after some discussion I figure out that he was just walking over by the boat docks and some children were throwing rocks at him. I immediately walked over to the docks to see what was going on and low and behold a group of kids, probably 10-12 run over to their parents. When I call the kids out on throwing rocks at John their mothers pipe up yelling at me for yelling (?) at their kids. Anyway, I called the cops and had the parents and their children removed from our grounds and got their names from the officer that showed up. Then I went into our office and wrote out the incident report with a request to revoke the offending parties dock rental.

I'm still pissed off about this. I can't imagine what would compel kids to throw rocks at this guy. He maybe be homeless and rather crazy but he is still a genuinely nice person. And the parents defending them...RAGE.

--------------------
Live by the foma that make you brave, and kind, and healthy, and happy.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Re: treatment of the homeless/mentally ill [Re: orechron]
    #4297513 - 06/14/05 11:39 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

"Twas ever thus"

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
    #4297518 - 06/14/05 11:41 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Good call. In my years working with security I saw similar things happen time and again. I always tried to stand up for those individuals even when my company's policy was contrary to this. While working as a soldier in the Army years ago I made it my hobby to speak with many homeless people. I found much humanity and wisdom in their words, though many of them had made poor life choices. Money does not make one person better or more wise than another....status and social acceptance on a material basis are curses on our society.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

InvisibleIcelander
Male

#4297615 - 06/15/05 12:05 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

If this is the most offensive behavior you can imagine. You have a pretty nice life. Lucky Boy. :thumbup: :smile:

--------------------

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Re: treatment of the homeless/mentally ill [Re: Icelander]
    #4297790 - 06/15/05 12:51 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I can understand his outrage. That sort of behavior is one of my pet peeves. While things like Nazis and concentration camps are worse, this would really irritate me.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

InvisibleJellric
altered statesman

Loc: non-local
    #4297817 - 06/15/05 12:57 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

It seems to me that many homeless people are highly spiritual but lack the social skills (hive mentality) to get along with others and are uncompromising in their behavior. I have made a point of not objectifying them and treating them as fellow human beings.

There but by the grace of god go I..

--------------------
I AM what Willis was talkin' bout.

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida Flag
    #4298339 - 06/15/05 07:48 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I work in a middle school that has a mixed population, but there is a very affluent sector. The principal answers to the region office and parents no longer respect teachers or principals (maybe 'get backs' for when they were in school), and go directly to the region office, which in turn instruct the principals to accept absolutely horrible children back into the school. Everyone is afraid of our litigious society, and there are just too many lawyers around Miami. Unless the little darlings are caught with a knife, a gun or selling a controlled substance at school (in which case they are sent to 'opportunity school'), they are returned to classes. Kids who have stolen from their teachers, who have been caught giving hand-jobs in an auditorium class, blow-jobs and intercourse in the bathrooms (walked in on by a female assistant principal), cursing out teachers and undermining what little respect they still have - all these POS's-in-training have their parents' backing.

Children are extensions of parents' egos these days more than they've ever been before in my lifetime. I had a lawyer peel off a bunch of big bills in my office to bribe me to take special care of his boy who was having a nervous breakdown because this lawyer-father insisted that his son remain in the 'gifted' program for the father's self-esteem. I told him to put his money away - that there are ethics in the counseling profession. I later helped the kid to leave gifted for the more manageable 'honors' program. If the kids are nightmares on two legs, it is because their parents are densely selfish, unenlightened humanoids themselves.

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

Edited by MarkostheGnostic (06/15/05 09:00 PM)

InvisibleIcelander
Male

Re: treatment of the homeless/mentally ill [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #4298350 - 06/15/05 07:53 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

If the kids are nightmares on two legs, it is because their parents are densely selfish, unenlightened humanoids themselves.

:thumbup:

--------------------

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Re: treatment of the homeless/mentally ill [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #4300111 - 06/15/05 03:48 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

You are preaching to the choir. Both my wife and I work for a middle school...my wife as a special ed teacher and myself as a computer tech. We have both seen numerous examples of what you describe. One child we had last semester had just been moved from another county where he had pulled a knife on a student. He threatened the lives of teachers verbally, stole, struck teachers and students with his fists, lied, and used foul language towards teachers and said "fuck you" to the principle. This was tolerated until he was finally arrested for another knife incident at school. He enjoyed the support of a dysfunctional parent through it all. How some people can be such rotten pieces of shit is no longer a mystery to me....I see rotten people manufactured every day.

--------------------

InvisibleIcelander
Male

Re: treatment of the homeless/mentally ill [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #4300131 - 06/15/05 03:53 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Well it is a mystery to me.

It just makes me sad to see parents do this to their own children, and create suffering for these innocents.

--------------------

Offlinecrunchytoast
oppositional

Loc: aporia
    #4300886 - 06/15/05 06:47 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

how a person treats those with less power says a lot about that person

--------------------
"consensus on the nature of equilibrium is usually established by periodic conflict." -henry kissinger

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Re: treatment of the homeless/mentally ill [Re: crunchytoast]
    #4301838 - 06/15/05 10:56 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Icelander:
What is sad is when you literally come to absolutely hate a 12 or 13 year old child....and wish them ill fortune because they got fucked up parents. The child I mentioned was put into my care for a short while during the state required testing and presented himself as a severe discipline problem. When I complained to his teacher I was told...in a hopeful tone "Do what you got to do, I got your back no matter what you decide." I really would have liked to oblige the teacher, out of contempt for this disrespectful young man, but I chose to send him to the principle instead, and maintain my personal integrity. The temptation to absolutely kick this kids ass was very real.

--------------------

InvisibleIcelander
Male

#4302025 - 06/15/05 11:40 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Huehuecoyotl said:
Icelander:
What is sad is when you literally come to absolutely hate a 12 or 13 year old child....and wish them ill fortune because they got fucked up parents. The child I mentioned was put into my care for a short while during the state required testing and presented himself as a severe discipline problem. When I complained to his teacher I was told...in a hopeful tone "Do what you got to do, I got your back no matter what you decide." I really would have liked to oblige the teacher, out of contempt for this disrespectful young man, but I chose to send him to the principle instead, and maintain my personal integrity. The temptation to absolutely kick this kids ass was very real.

I understand you completely. I have felt the same more times than I care to count.

Whats to be done about this crush of child abuse? I can only use whatever tools I have to keep love alive in my heart and to continue to put it out there, even though it won't be picked up it seems.

The Shamanic path is a path of love. In the end, that's where I am placing my bet. :heart: :smile:

--------------------

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

#4302051 - 06/15/05 11:49 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

"Whats to be done about this crush of child abuse?"

Unfortunately shitty child rearing and indulging your childs dysfunctional behavior is not considered child abuse. A child who has threatened to kill teachers and struck a teacher with his fists often leaves the teachers involved with little compassion towards the individual. This behavior was tolerated because the child was considered EBD (Emotional Behavioral Disorder).

--------------------

InvisibleIcelander
Male

#4302185 - 06/16/05 12:20 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Well isn't that interesting? Doesn't that speak volumes. When shitty childrearing IS the most important factor in child abuse.

--------------------

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

#4302213 - 06/16/05 12:26 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

While I agree with you....teaching a child to be a self centered, insensitive, arrogant, and potentially violent waste of space is not child abuse in the legal sense...you can do all of these things by just indulging the child's every whim...that was my point.

--------------------

InvisibleIcelander
Male

#4302220 - 06/16/05 12:27 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I know it was. :thumbup:

--------------------

OfflineMycoSchnee
Michael

#4516453 - 08/09/05 10:36 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

It seems to me that many homeless people are highly spiritual but lack the social skills (hive mentality) to get along with others and are uncompromising in their behavior. I have made a point of not objectifying them and treating them as fellow human beings.

That is such an outrageous stereotype sugar-coated in a sappy closing line eluding to your just treatment and understanding of "fellow human beings". Why are we all referring to homeless people like they're a different species, either insane, supremely idealistic and spiritual, or makers of poor life decisions. In actuality, many if not most of them are sane, reasonable people that reject most creature comforts and lead a different life than employed members of society. And violent 10-12 year olds totally suck.

Offlinepsychomime
o_O
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: treatment of the homeless/mentally ill [Re: MycoSchnee]
    #4516909 - 08/10/05 01:23 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

EBD? lol thats the funniest shit i've ever heard. we make everything a "syndrome" or a "disorder" so we don't have to take responsibilty for our own bad decisions. i want to kick whoever came up with EBD in the nuts. I'll take full responsibility for the action.

OfflineOldWoodSpecter
waiting
Male

Loc: mountains and lakes
    #4517229 - 08/10/05 05:55 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

orechron said:
When I was at work this evening I saw what is probably the most offensive behavior I can imagine. I was sitting on my lake watching the water, etc. when one of the guys that lives in the shelter nearby walks onto the beach, obviously upset about something. He came up to me and after some discussion I figure out that he was just walking over by the boat docks and some children were throwing rocks at him. I immediately walked over to the docks to see what was going on and low and behold a group of kids, probably 10-12 run over to their parents. When I call the kids out on throwing rocks at John their mothers pipe up yelling at me for yelling (?) at their kids. Anyway, I called the cops and had the parents and their children removed from our grounds and got their names from the officer that showed up. Then I went into our office and wrote out the incident report with a request to revoke the offending parties dock rental.

I'm still pissed off about this. I can't imagine what would compel kids to throw rocks at this guy. He maybe be homeless and rather crazy but he is still a genuinely nice person. And the parents defending them...RAGE.

good job, the reaction of the parents kind of explains the behaviour of kids

--------------------
I descend upon your earth from the skies
I command your very souls you unbelievers
Bring before me what is mine

Offlinecuriouskittin
Weilii Princess<3
 User Gallery

Loc: *in the island of magic*
    #4517636 - 08/10/05 10:01 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

When i2ancid and I were in St. Thomas, USVI, we stayed at the Charlotte Amelie shelter for a few days. People 'on the outside' didn't treat us any different (probably because we were white in a black majority community and thought we were tourists). It was inside the shelter where we had problems. We only stayed for a few days, it was during Carnival, and then my parents helped us and bought us tickets back to the states. Even though St. Thomas is US owned, it's like a totally different country, and I'm not familiar with homeless shelters here in the states.

--------------------
WWW.WEILII.COM ^*Psilocybe Weilii Information*^

Curious?

<3
i will tell you in another life, when we are both cats.

Invisiblebukkake
Male

Loc: Classified
Re: treatment of the homeless/mentally ill [Re: psychomime]
    #4522341 - 08/11/05 02:11 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

psychomime said:
EBD? lol thats the funniest shit i've ever heard. we make everything a "syndrome" or a "disorder" so we don't have to take responsibilty for our own bad decisions. i want to kick whoever came up with EBD in the nuts. I'll take full responsibility for the action.

It has become the American way to brand everyone and anyone who has an unlikeable personality with a cutesy disorder and suggest they're in need of psychotropic cocktails. I find it impossible this many Americans truly need Paxil or have these "mental illnesses." In the cases described above, it's incompetent parenting or neglection.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale