Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop:   Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinejtk
Stranger
 User Gallery

Is my Poo Colonizing Slow?
    #4297115 - 06/15/05 12:05 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I have some horse poo spawned with WBS at about a 40% spawn to poo ratio. It's been 4 days and both my bags are only 1/3 colonized. The myc. does look strong and all, but it seems it should be closer to 1/2 or more. I was hoping to fully colonize it in 8 days. It's for an outdoor bulk grow though, so as long as its 60% colonized or more then ill probably put it out at 8 days. It can finish outdoors with the casing on it.

--------------------
Don't let your brain tell your mind it can't feel

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineKalix
'Head

Re: Is my Poo Colonizing Slow? [Re: jtk]
    #4297157 - 06/15/05 12:15 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I'd give it more time, It colonizes just as slow outdoors, and pests might get @ it, like rabbits/squirrels etc.. Though they tend to munch on grain before poo, I think they also like myc..There's also the chance of something digging it up cuz they like the poo.

--------------------

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: The Shotgun of Sweet Reason

Offlinejtk
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Is my Poo Colonizing Slow? [Re: Kalix]
    #4299962 - 06/15/05 05:14 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

there is lots of condensation build up on the sides of the bags i have the poo colonizing in. Is that bad for the myc.? Maybe i should remove the poo from the bags, and transfer it to one large tub covered in saran wrap with holes poked in it. that would keep the condensation from touching the myc. as much.

It's day 4 and the bags still arnt half done, about 1/3 or a little more. Im thinking transfering to a big bowl or tub would help it.

--------------------
Don't let your brain tell your mind it can't feel

OfflineSilly_Cyben
not-quite-newbie

Loc: USA
Re: Is my Poo Colonizing Slow? [Re: jtk]
    #4300909 - 06/15/05 08:53 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Assuming your temps are ideal, around 84?F? and not much higher than 86?, the rate of colonization is theoretically a function of the ratio of spawn to substrate. How much spawn did you use for what quantity of poo? I'm also assuming your poo was well-cured horse poo. H poo naturally contains lots of straw that keeps it light and full of the spaces that myc like to grow quickly. Cow poo usually works better with straw or vermiculite added to increase aeration. If your bags were loosely filled rather than packed, you could expect faster colonization.

You need and want the high humidity indicated by condensation in the vegetative, colonization stage. Condensation becomes a concern in the fruiting stage where water dropping on shrooms or even on pins or primordia can cause problems. Of course, if your poo was too wet to begin with, that can be a problem.

Other factors influencing colonization rates could be the strain and its relative speed of colonization, but I think this can vary widely within a single strain. For example, I spawned two large bread pans of h poo with one BRF 1/2 pt. jar each of the PF strain, and the one spawned a day later completed colonization a day earlier than the one I spawned first. Go figure. I've seen large bread pans of several different strains, both "fast" and "slow" colonizers, colonize pretty reliably within a week using both one and two jars of spawn per pan.

Four days doesn't seem like a long time to me, especially if your bags are big. It seems to take a couple of days for the myc to recover from spawning. Colonization may speed up after that. As long as there is no sign of contamination, I'd put 'em away for a couple days undisturbed and forget about them. When you check them in a couple of days, you may have a nice surprise.

Also, I assume you're keeping the bags in the dark at this stage. You wouldn't want to initiate pinning when the substrate is not fully colonized.

As long as your temps are good, your poo is good, the moisture level in the poo was good when you spawned, and you're keeping the bags closed in the dark with minimal air exchange, they should colonize fine in however much time those particular myc need to do the job.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop:   Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation