Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineblackout
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Should water be added to sclerotia substrates?
    #4266601 - 06/07/05 02:11 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

A harvested bag of sclerotia has very dry grains left in it, the sclerotia is also quite dry. Would the yield be increased if additional water was added during the grow?

When growing PF jars invitro, the yields are increased when you dunk them in water after each flush/harvest. If you have a nicely colonised clump of sclerotia substrate it would be easy to dunk it overnight, or inject its jar/bag with lots of sterile water and suck out the excess the next day. It may also help to clean up the yellow mycelium waste that you see in sclerotia grows. In its natural environment it would be getting more water.

But sclerotia has been said to grow in places of harsh environment so it may prefer a substrate that gradually dries out. But once it is ready to harvest I can?t see any harm in adding sterile water and looking to see if any more growth begins in the next few weeks. It may prefer water during the grow, the grains are left so dry that they may not be able to soak up moisture well if done at the end. Sclerotia is also found in normal cased beds of mushrooms, do people find that these sclerotia have a higher water content?

2 indentical jars, one watered, should show the difference.

EDIT: Found this
In nature, sclerotia typically form in response to adverse growing conditions as a method of carrying the life of the fungus through difficult conditions. Thus, as the growth medium dries out or available nutrients are used up the fungus responds by forming a sclerotium. One study [5] suggests that the type of wood or perhaps the physical and textural properties of the substrate play a role in sclerotia formation.
from here
http://www.mushroomcompany.com/9509/mgnl_995_ptr.html

Water was added in this grow every day,
http://www.mushworld.com:1508/tech/view.asp?cata_id=1110&vid=6453

Edited by blackout (06/07/05 04:24 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineblackout
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Should water be added to sclerotia substrates? [Re: blackout]
    #4290347 - 06/13/05 07:37 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Anybody?
I got some fresh commercial mexicana sclerotia and have a LC attempting to clone it. It was sold as a fresh 15g "dose", the shop also sold a fresh 20g dose of cubensis. It was a large stone and some smaller ones too. I did not find it potent, I would compare it to 1-1.5g of dried cubensis.
I found my own sclerotia was weak in the past too, I put it down to poor growing technique and the fact that all my harvested stones were tiny (I have heard larger ones ar more potent). My big stone had been sliced, so was larger than 15g to begin with.

It is usually estimated to be twice as strong fresh, and 2/3 dry, so it should be about the same as 3g of dry cubensis. The largest single dose I have done of cubensis was 3.5g, and I was blown away.

Does anybody else find sclerotia to be weak?

Edited by blackout (06/14/05 06:13 AM)

OfflineKalix
'Head

#4294369 - 06/14/05 05:38 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I found slcerotia to be weak, but it's a nice buzz. And, I don't think slcerotia would form if you watered the substrate..

--------------------

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: The Shotgun of Sweet Reason

Offlineblackout
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Should water be added to sclerotia substrates? [Re: Kalix]
    #4294376 - 06/14/05 05:53 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Any grows I have seen have commented on how dry the grains appear at harvest time. But what about just water at the end. As the sclerotia is now grown I don't think additional water is going to harm them but it may make nutrients available to the already large sclerotia.

OfflineKalix
'Head

#4294377 - 06/14/05 05:58 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

That would be an interesting experiment.. I'm thinking of growing some sclerotia, but they taste pretty bad.. If they where a little bit stronger, I'd do it for sure!

--------------------

Offlineblackout
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Should water be added to sclerotia substrates? [Re: Kalix]
    #4294395 - 06/14/05 06:12 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I think they taste fine, (well next to cubes!).
Last time I grated fresh ones with a fine cheese grater, then I spooned them into my mouth and just washed it down with water without chewing at all. They taste a bit nutty and if you mix it with peanut butter they go down well.

I think grating/shredding/dicing is important to digest them fully.

pic added above

Edited by blackout (06/14/05 06:13 AM)

OfflineKalix
'Head

#4294405 - 06/14/05 06:20 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I just chewed 'em up, and I though they tasted a lot like moldy brazil nuts.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract