Home | Community | Message Board

Vaposhop
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineOldWoodSpecter
waiting
Male

Loc: mountains and lakes
greed and impatience
    #4291755 - 06/13/05 05:01 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

This is a thread about something that happened to me today.

A day or two ago I was talking about impatience, yet I've shown it today and it cost me my plans

I wanted to sell a keyboard amp, but it was broken, so me and the potential buyer drowe it to a place where they can service it, after that, when it was fixed, he was going to buy it.

I've made plans what to do with the money, and I was all in those plans, and impatient. I was greedy.

Then when the amp was fixed, I brought it home, but the fuse burned as soon as I pluged it into the electricity. That was a good sign that there was a short circuit somewhere, but NO, I thought it the guy put the wrong kind of fuse, so I decided to fix it myself, and went to buy some fuses (the little glass ones) a few of them blew, and it was clear that there is a shor circuit and that I should bring it back.
But I was impatient and wanted it all to be over today so that I can seel it tomorow. So I decided to try everything, including putting the fuse holder in reverse position (which was a big mistake)
THe reverse position did not attach the fuse to its proper contacts, so it was not attached into the power circuit AT ALL, and of course, when I turned it on, there was a nice show of smoke and sparks.
That pretty much ended the whole thing. The chips on the mixer, equilizer section were all burned, and now it's over.

I felt disapointed of course, my greed made me feel disapointed

but, after that I felt releaved because the whole race was over, and I can go back to my routine, no more phone calls, no more waiting, nothing.

I feel good now, better than before it blew.

There is a story that my mother used to read to me when I was little. It was about a little farm girl that carried milk somewhere between willages, and she made plans while going down the road. She was thinking, when I seel the milk, I'm going to buy chickens, then they are going to lay eggs, then I'm going to sell eggs and buy something etc etc. It was a long plan, and suddenly she fell down and spilled the milk, and all her plans shatered.

Obviously I never learned anything from that story. This is the same story, only a modern version. Instead of spilt milk on the country road there is a room full of smoke and smell of burned plastic and silicone.

One more thing happened this day. While I was rushing to pick up the amp, about 20$ fell out of my pocket. I went back to my house to check if I haven't left them at home, but no, so I went back the same way and looked every step, even found something else that droped out of my pocked, but no money, then I went to pick up the amp, and when I was returning I was again going the same way and looking for it again.
Then I went looking the same way every step again searching when I was going to buy fuses, but nothing. After returning home, and passing the same path for the 4th time, I gave up and didn't look to the ground no more. But suddenly there was the money, right in front of me, I just looked casually and I saw it right in the midle of the road, not hidden on the sideways or something, but in the middle right in front of me, where I have passed and looked for 3 times. Someone could have seen it because about 3 hours passed since then, It felt as if someone planted it there.

So because of being impatient I've burnd my amp that I was going to sell for about 250$ , and I've nearly lost 20$

I hope I've learned my lesson.

--------------------
I descend upon your earth from the skies
I command your very souls you unbelievers
Bring before me what is mine

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleLunarEclipse
Mr. Dogma Free
 User Gallery

Loc: The Hand
Re: greed and impatience [Re: OldWoodSpecter]
    #4291945 - 06/13/05 05:30 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

"smell of burned plastic and silicone."

I love the smell of burned plastic and silicone in the morning.

My amp of many years has become a costly ($400) and unsuccessful series of repairs.  I plugged it in recently and it played beautifully for one day and then failed again.  The good news is that I had already bought a new amp and this one is my second system amp.  The bad news is that the $ 400 is gone.

Now, were I to be truly greedy, I could sell it online to someone for approx. $ 400 which is what it is worth and hope it works for them.  It just might depending on what speakers they are driving.  My speakers put a real strain on amps with their inefficiency and unusual low impedances.  The store never could get the amp to fail.

But, I hate to ship it and then it fails and then they want their money back and the shipping is an issue.  So, it sits on the shelf.

The point is, you may have spent more money than the amp was worth trying to fix it and not have gotten there.

At least you found the lost $ 20.  :thumbup:

--------------------
Anxiety is what you make it.

Edited by LunarEclipse (06/13/05 05:31 PM)

OfflineOldWoodSpecter
waiting
Male

Loc: mountains and lakes
Re: greed and impatience [Re: LunarEclipse]
    #4291972 - 06/13/05 05:36 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

not really, a flawed transformator or something like that would cost me maybe 50$ to fix.

--------------------
I descend upon your earth from the skies
I command your very souls you unbelievers
Bring before me what is mine

InvisibleLunarEclipse
Mr. Dogma Free
 User Gallery

Loc: The Hand
    #4291994 - 06/13/05 05:40 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

So, you blew $ 200 ($250-50 to repair?) by getting impatient and reversing the fuse. At least you didn't electrocute yourself.

--------------------
Anxiety is what you make it.

OfflineCeeThruMeer
Aztek GoatBecoming Eagle

Loc: BC, Canada
    #4292044 - 06/13/05 05:48 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Good story. I as well hope you learned your lesson.

I believe that stories (such as the one your mother told you) are a good way to communicate a message, but stories just don't seem real enough all the time. Experience will always be the greatest teacher. Hopefully you will not repeat this story later on in your life.  :smile:

I find that phenomenon of never finding something until you give up fascinating. I cannot count how many times in my life I have been so sure I have lost something, and searched and searched then given up in a state of frustration, only to stumble upon whatever I had lost almost as soon as I had given up.

--------------------
"my old friend told me
to do well always
set your sails, open
ride your waves, flowing
just relax, sober
leave you past, it's over
bind two hands, stronger
my soul waits, forward" - Arjun and Guardians

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: greed and impatience [Re: LunarEclipse]
    #4292047 - 06/13/05 05:48 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

I love the smell of burned plastic and silicone in the morning.

I thought it was napalm...

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology