Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinebizzaroSquirrel
residentsquirrel

Loc: Melbourne, Aust
purple mushrooms, wtf?
    #4290289 - 06/13/05 06:33 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Anyone have any idea what these are?

I'm currently sucking at finding anything active, however I did see quite a few of these, and was wondering what they were.

a. Habitat: Australia, Victoria.  Floor of a pine plantation (lots of pine needles on ground).  Rained heavily 2 days before, nothing much since.

b. Characteristics of the gills: Adnate, violet/purple in young, but color faded in older mushroom.

d. Characteristics of the stem: young mushroom: violet/purple, 70mm by 10mm, fibrous.  old mushroom: violet/purple, 100mm by 20mm, fibrous.

e. Characteristics of the cap: young mushroom: convex, light purple/straw color changing to brown/straw in centre, hygrophanous, 45mm diameter.  old mushroom: similar but less purple, and more flat and wavy.  90mm diameter.

f. Spore print color: bah, it didn't work =(  Nothing on white paper, however when i ran my finger over the area there was a white residue.  Tried on a black book cover, and there seemed to be a slight whiteish print when the light wasn't reflecting off the surface  ??

g. Color that the mushroom bruises:  Don't think there was any bruising.

h. Scent of mushroom: all smell the same to me :wink:

Here's one hiding underneath some pine needles.

This is a younger one, more purple than the older ones, and the cap is more conical, not so wavy.

Gills of the three I pulled out.  I tried to get them at different stages of growth.

Adnate?

Not planning on eating them seeing that they don't have any characteristics of actives i've been researching over the last few weeks.
If anyone has any ideas that would be sweet. 

Some other random small mushroom that looked kinda cool with macro.

cheers,
squirrel  :tongue2:

--------------------
Hello Friends.
I am a perfectly normal human worm baby.
You have nothing, absolutely nothing to fear from me, just pay no attention to me and we will get along fine.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

Loc: In the woods
Re: purple mushrooms, wtf? [Re: bizzaroSquirrel]
    #4290339 - 06/13/05 07:29 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

The purple ones look like Blewits(Clitocybe nuda). They are good edibles. Some poisonous species of Cortinarius resemble them, so be careful. Corts have a spiderweb-like veil on the younger specimens and drop brown spores.

The bottom one is a Mycena.

Nice finds. :thumbup:

Offlinearbalest
wut kent?
Male

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Re: purple mushrooms, wtf? [Re: shroomydan]
    #4290372 - 06/13/05 08:08 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I dont know what the purple ones are, but I've seen plenty of those little mycenas around.

Just thought I'd thank you for being the first person to request an ID with some good written information and descriptions to go with your pictures.

Anyone who wonders why they get flamed when asking for ID's, look at this damn post, this is what all ID requests should be like.

InvisibleBi0TeK
elephant man

Loc: Yorkshire Moors, Great Br...
    #4290610 - 06/13/05 10:05 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I agree with Shroomydan, the purple ones look like Blewits.

Smell them again, they should have a sweet perfumy smell to them.

The spore print should be tan to buff where as Cortinarius are distinguished by their rusty brown spore print.

I've tried them fresh and didn't really care for them. I thought they lacked taste and had a poor texture but I've been told theyre good when dried and reconstituted.

--------------------

--------------------
PROMOTE BACTERIA. THEY'RE THE ONLY CULTURE SOME PEOPLE HAVE.

OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site
Re: purple mushrooms, wtf? [Re: Bi0TeK]
    #4290846 - 06/13/05 11:02 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

yeah the only thing you will be seeing from eating those blewits is a satisfied stomach... good edibles!

OfflineMitchnast
Toadmonger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Okanagan Flag
Re: purple mushrooms, wtf? [Re: CptnGarden]
    #4290868 - 06/13/05 11:08 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

alot of people are allergic to blewitts. so perhaps test a small ammount before using

OfflinebizzaroSquirrel
residentsquirrel

Loc: Melbourne, Aust
Re: purple mushrooms, wtf? [Re: shroomydan]
    #4292439 - 06/13/05 05:32 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

shroomydan said:
The purple ones look like Blewits(Clitocybe nuda). They are good edibles.

Sweet!  :grin:
I'm not into mushrooms that much, but I might go back and pick some for the folks and have a small taste (then i don't even have to cook them :wink:)

Didn't really smell the perfume scent that you mentioned bi0Tek, all i noticed is that it wasn't as strong like the normal mushrooms you buy at the supermarket.

And I guess to wrap the post up, some links i found on it.
This month's fungus is Clitocybe nuda, the Wood Blewit.
Clitocybe nuda / Lepista nuda: The Blewit

Thanks for the ID and the extra information everyone,
squirrel

--------------------
Hello Friends.
I am a perfectly normal human worm baby.
You have nothing, absolutely nothing to fear from me, just pay no attention to me and we will get along fine.

OfflineHolly
pastede on yay

#4293168 - 06/13/05 08:54 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I think I've found those at my university campus. They're supposed to be common in Bay Area California. I'll have to wait until they come around again in but I'll know to keep my eyes out for them, so I can check if they're edible.

--------------------
Future events such as these will affect you in the future...

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies