Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinecheezy_terror
Stranger
BIG YELLOW RED
    #4286510 - 06/12/05 11:37 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

mushrooms growing amongst all the others, these turn instantly blue when i scrape the spongy gills with a knife....heres a pic

a. Habitat it was growing out of the wilderness floor in augusta, GA, which is covered in twigs, leaves and rotting particles...
b. Characteristics of the gills yellow, pourous
c. Measurements of cap and stem. 1 inch cap, 1.2 in stem
d. Characteristics of the stem solid, strong, yellow, bruising blue
e. Characteristics of the cap slightly spherical, like a hamburger bun...smooth red cap
f. Spore print color (very important!) i dont know how to print these kinda mushrooms, although ill try my old method...
g. Color that the mushroom bruises: blue
h. Scent of mushroom: very light mushroom scent

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinesuperblingtheory
ghettogepetto

Loc: Omnipresent
Re: BIG YELLOW RED [Re: cheezy_terror]
    #4286522 - 06/12/05 11:40 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I'm no good at identifying boletes, but typically you can count on blue-staining ones to be inedible. Very good description though. Cudos.

--------------------

Guts and danger, Airborne Ranger...

OfflineUlisSausage7
seattle
Male

Re: BIG YELLOW RED [Re: superblingtheory]
    #4286744 - 06/12/05 12:28 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

um, i thought blue bruising is good? i dont know if by boletes you are talking about a weird species of mushroom, but blue bruising is good on alot of mushrooms.

--------------------
Marx said:
good luck with the microscopy 

:whistling:

OfflineMitchnast
Toadmonger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Okanagan Flag
Re: BIG YELLOW RED [Re: UlisSausage7]
    #4286978 - 06/12/05 01:40 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

thats not a mushroom, its a bolette.
its funny how people can know the 'bluing" idea, but not have a basic understanding of muhrooms and expect to find anything.
you can't just know one little thing. it will get you dead.

OfflineLysergic_Milkman
Dr. Fist
Male

Loc: ATL
Re: BIG YELLOW RED [Re: Mitchnast]
    #4287022 - 06/12/05 01:52 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

A mushroom with spongey pores instead of gills is generally considered a bolet, none of whice have been known to be psychoactive. Bolets that stain blue do so from a poisonous chemical reaction that is NOT related to psilocin. There are a select few that are edible (and even choice gourmet) that stain blue, but yours is not one of them.

Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

Loc: In the woods
Re: BIG YELLOW RED [Re: cheezy_terror]
    #4287032 - 06/12/05 01:58 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Bolete is a classification of fungi which have spongy pores under the cap. There are several genre and innumerable species of Boletes. Many are good edibles but none are known to be active. Many of the yellow and red boletes are poisonous, especially the ones which bruise blue.

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London Flag
Re: BIG YELLOW RED [Re: shroomydan]
    #4288082 - 06/12/05 05:45 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

welcome home, shroomydan  :smile:

:hug:

--------------------
buh

Invisibleivi
 User Gallery

#4288133 - 06/12/05 05:56 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Mitchnast said:
thats not a mushroom, its a bolette.

Aren't boletes mushrooms? :smirk:

--------------------

OfflineMitchnast
Toadmonger
Male User Gallery

Re: BIG YELLOW RED [Re: ivi]
    #4288297 - 06/12/05 06:40 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

not for our purposes. not anymore than a puffball, truffle, morel, or reishii.
they are fruiting bodies of fungi. set apart from evrything above mentioned however, the word 'mushroom' would represent gilled, capped, stemmed, fruiting bodies of fungi

Invisibleivi
 User Gallery

#4288418 - 06/12/05 07:10 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

You have a very narrow perception of what a mushroom is. By definition "mushrooms" are fleshy spore-bearing structures of certain fungi, typically of the class Basidiomycetes. This includes various agarics, boletes, polypores, puffballs, jelly fungi etc. They're all "mushrooms".

--------------------

Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

Loc: In the woods
Re: BIG YELLOW RED [Re: shirley knott]
    #4288443 - 06/12/05 07:21 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

shirley knott said:
welcome home, shroomydan  :smile:

:hug:

:smile::heart::mushroom2:

OfflineMitchnast
Toadmonger
Male User Gallery

#4288499 - 06/12/05 07:37 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

thats nice
im entitled to my interpretation and feel justified in spite of presented understandings to the contrary

Edited by Mitchnast (06/12/05 07:46 PM)

Offlinepluteus
level-9 deviant

Loc: London area, UK
    #4290224 - 06/13/05 05:10 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

And so you should be.
The term 'mushroom' is hardly one delineated by strict scientific consensus, and according to its precise context can encompass a number of more specific or more general groupings. These groupings are based on traits related to (a) edibility - in contrast to 'toadstool' - (b) taxonomic or phylogenetic placement, and (c) various morphological criteria. CABI's standard mycological dictionary gives several informal and flexible definitions.
So it seems, Ivi, that perhaps you are the one with a too narrow perception of the definition of 'mushroom', which I trust will remain a wonderfully adaptive and context-dependent word.

OfflineMitchnast
Toadmonger
Male User Gallery

Re: BIG YELLOW RED [Re: pluteus]
    #4290281 - 06/13/05 06:21 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

oh marry me you sweet thing :smile:

Invisibleivi
 User Gallery

Re: BIG YELLOW RED [Re: pluteus]
    #4290423 - 06/13/05 08:54 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

pluteus said:
The term 'mushroom' is hardly one delineated by strict scientific consensus, and according to its precise context can encompass a number of more specific or more general groupings. These groupings are based on traits related to (a) edibility - in contrast to 'toadstool' - (b) taxonomic or phylogenetic placement, and (c) various morphological criteria.

Yes I am aware of that, but according to any of these groupings Mitchnast's perception of "mushrooms" as "gilled, capped, and stemmed fruiting bodies of fungi" is narrow at it's best.

Call me crazy but I find Mitchnast's claim that boletes are not mushrooms absurd.

But something tells me you'd defend Mitchnast even if he declared that boletes are elephants.

--------------------

Edited by ivi (06/13/05 09:17 AM)

OfflineHerbanShaman
I am the Walrus

Loc: Everywhere and Nowhere
    #4290489 - 06/13/05 09:24 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I think mushroom defines a gill producing basidiomycete. You would use this in a similar manner as bolete, or chanterelle. Basidiomycetes encompass mushrooms, chanterelles, boletes, earthstars, puffballs, tooth fungi, birds nest fungi and polypores. Most of the big fungus we hunt for are therefore basidiomycetes. However, there are plenty of ascomycetes like morel, and some genera of wood ears that are tasty. I suggest that you never again equate bruising blue with edibility, that's good way to poison yourself. Also, the contrasting yellow stem and red cap scream - "don't eat me or I'll put you in a world of pain."

--------------------
"There is a world beyond ours, a world that is far away, nearby, and invisible. And there is where God lives, where the dead live, the spirits and the saints, a world where everything has already happened and everything is known. That world talks. It has a language of its own. I report what it says. The sacred mushroom takes me by the hand and brings me to the world where everything is known. It is they, the sacred mushrooms, that speak in a way I can understand. I ask them and they answer me. When I return from the trip that I have taken with them, I tell what they have told me and what they have shown me."
-- Mazatec shaman

Offlinenycomyco
Stranger

Loc: PA
Re: BIG YELLOW RED [Re: Lysergic_Milkman]
    #4290536 - 06/13/05 09:41 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

There was an article posted here a while ago regarding a psychoactive species of bolete in New Guinea (I think). From what I remember it didn't have the regular psilocybin/psilocin but something else, and the manicy trip lasted over 24 hours. I just googled it and couldn't find anything though.

Invisibleivi
 User Gallery

Re: BIG YELLOW RED [Re: nycomyco]
    #4290565 - 06/13/05 09:49 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Check out this thread

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies