Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinematchbook
Photographer

Loc: Washington
Did I ruin these cakes? (Pic)
    #4288269 - 06/12/05 06:32 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I put 1/2 part BRF to 1 part Verm, and put as much water as I could without having any extra in the bottom of my mixing bowl. When I put the stuff in the jars it seemed so damn thick, and when I look at it, it seems like it is too thick for mycelium growth, am I wrong? I posted another thread a couple weeks ago after I messed up by not putting ENOUGH BRF, so now it is highly contrasted, and I'm not sure if I screwed up again. Does this look ideal or at least sufficient from looking at it?

Sorry for being a newb, but I am really wanting to get a succesful growth here. Most of the jars look like this one, although a couple others are less thick, and a couple others slightly thicker, but pretty much the same. A couple of the jars I couldn't get the verm concoction in the jar well without having to stuff it in there, which I didn't want to do. So a couple jars have little gaps on the side or bottom, is that alright to have?

Thanks VERY much for your responses ahead of time.

(Edit: This picture is 36 hours after inoculation.)

--------------------

Edited by matchbook (06/12/05 06:35 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleonefunguy
bad blood
Male

Loc: kihei, maui county
Re: Did I ruin these cakes? (Pic) [Re: matchbook]
    #4288290 - 06/12/05 06:38 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

thats about the same ratio i used .... little less brf, but mine looked more airy...i don't know you need an experts opinon ...sry :smile:

--------------------
........all the kids will eat it up if its packaged properly........

OfflineGodspeed
Stranger
Loc: God's Basement
    #4288296 - 06/12/05 06:40 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

too much water?

why not follow the pftek steps. it gives you a calculator to prepare with

OfflineHippieChick
Chicks can do it too!
Female User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
Trusted Cultivator
    #4288314 - 06/12/05 06:43 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

After messing up the first time, I'd think you would invest in a 99 cent plastic measuring cup. It's not hard, 1/4 cup BRF, 1/4 cup water and 1/2 cup vermiculite per 1/2 pint jar. Get a measuring cup if you can't get it right. I still measure mine when I make jars. Who knows if your water content is right the way you did it. Hard to tell by looking.

Peace,Love,Happiness and Harmony.
:heart: Hippie Chick  :mushroom2:

--------------------
Peace,Love and Happiness
:heart: HC :mushroom2:

Freedoms just another word for nothing left to lose..............

I LUV My Greenhouse
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/5545848#5545848

My First Pans
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/6212058#6212058

Invisiblebackupwards
peon

Loc: somewhere else
Re: Did I ruin these cakes? (Pic) [Re: HippieChick]
    #4288360 - 06/12/05 06:53 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

listen to hc. 2:1:1 ratio. verm:brf:water. can't fail this way. doesn't matter the size of the jar as long as you stick to this ratio. like she said get a measuring cup it will make your life so much easier.
good luck on the third round.
peace

Invisiblemyndreach
philosopher
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Did I ruin these cakes? (Pic) [Re: backupwards]
    #4288623 - 06/12/05 08:07 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

yeah you have to measure lol...

sounds like too much water...it should just barely let water squeeze out when you squeeze some mix in your fist.

Offlinematchbook
Photographer

Re: Did I ruin these cakes? (Pic) [Re: myndreach]
    #4289853 - 06/13/05 01:21 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I never said I didn't measure. I measured both the BRF and Verm, just not the water. I followed the PF Tek. So the ratios are just fine I hope. But I was just curious if this looked good enough. I thought it may be kind of thick somehow, maybe packed in too much or something. But even despite that, do you think it is growable?

--------------------

Offlinelordoftheshroomz
recoveringaddict
 User Gallery

Loc: wouldn't you like to kno ...
    #4289903 - 06/13/05 01:34 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

matchbook said:
do you think it is growable?

no.

u need to redo ure cakes with less water this time, lsiten to the ratios these ppl tell u!

--------------------
MY Glove Box, Automated Terrarium, and Incubator
Lil' Wyte, Three Six Mafia, Project Pat will bring it to ya door if theres ana on ya chest.
THE PATRIOT ACT MAY BE THE DOOM OF US ALL! THEY CAN GET THINGS LIKE YOUR MEDICAL/LEGAL RECORDS, YOUR INTERNET HISTORY, YOUR GOOGLE SEARCH INFORMATION, ALL WITHOUT PROBABLE CAUSE OR A WARRANT! ALSO NO ONE CAN LEGALLY TELL YOU. YOU'LL NEVER KNOW UNTIL IT'S TOO LATE, THIS ISN'T EXACTLY A FREE COUNTRY ANYMORE NOW IS IT? THEY ARE DESTROYING THIS COUNTRY SO THEY CAN GET RICHER! THE WAR IN IRAQ ACCOMPLISHED NOTHING! HELP GET THE CONSERVATIVE RIGHT WING-NUTS OUT OF POWER, MAKE AN EDUCATED VOTE!

Offlinematchbook
Photographer

Re: Did I ruin these cakes? (Pic) [Re: lordoftheshroomz]
    #4290002 - 06/13/05 02:13 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I did the correct ratios, and I followed the PF Tek that says mix with enough water until it starts producing water at the bottom of the bowl, then pour the remainder out. So I don't see where I went wrong.

--------------------

Offlinehawksapprentice
Yearns to Snowboard
 User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
    #4290038 - 06/13/05 02:26 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

No you did not do the correct ratio, you had no ratio for the water you put in. He is correct when he says that the PF tek does not give a water ratio. Heres what it says. http://www.fungifun.org/pf/pf_en.htm

Pour water slowly over the vermiculite while stirring with a spoon.
Be careful to only put that much water in as it can be absorbed by the vermiculite. Stir it well so all the vermiculite is uniformly soaked with water.

When you tilt the bowl you should see just a little water starting coming from the vermiculite.
This is when the correct water content is achieved.
If there is too much water in the bowl, pour the wet vermiculite in a strainer and let the excess water drain for a minute. Then the vermiculite will be at the field capacity, which is perfect.

Here is a better tek on doing this, less room for error. http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/23262

The basic PF recipe is 1/4 cup brown rice flour (measure the flour itself, not the brown rice if you grind it yourself), 1/2 cup vermiculite, and 60ml (4 tablespoons) of water. Depending on the vermiculite used the amount of water needed can vary. To prevent a overly dry or wet mixture you can prepare the substrate this way:
Put the required amount of vermiculite in a bowl (all at once, NOT for each jar separately!). Use a spatula or spoon to mix in enough water to saturate the vermiculite to the field capacity, mix well. The field capacity is reached when a small puddle,barely visible, forms at the bottom of the bowl when you tilt it. Then add the appropriate amount of BRF and mix together.(This works best if you use 1/2 cup vermiculite and 1/6 cup BRF per 1/2 pint jar)
The idea is to coat the wet vermiculite particles with the dry powder as you stir the mix with the spatula.

The jar you have there is too wet. You will want to start over before you go and waste spores on that jar.

--------------------
"I celebrate the Earth, my home, my mother, my grave, and as long as men are Man they must, if they would preserve the integrated being, do the same---[and preserve]--this rank casual hungry smelly sweaty lusting transitory body, my oozy pulpy liquid-bag-swollen body, bones, blood, hair glands, my bejeweled sex; I love and celebrate it all.  never to let men forget that they are animals as much as gods---that is one thing I shall say."

Edward Abbey

Offlinematchbook
Photographer

Re: Did I ruin these cakes? (Pic) [Re: hawksapprentice]
    #4290184 - 06/13/05 04:08 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Damn, and I already used an entire EQ syringe on 8 jars. Well who knows? It could still work.

--------------------

Offlinehawksapprentice
Yearns to Snowboard
 User Gallery

#4290188 - 06/13/05 04:14 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

:nonono:

--------------------
"I celebrate the Earth, my home, my mother, my grave, and as long as men are Man they must, if they would preserve the integrated being, do the same---[and preserve]--this rank casual hungry smelly sweaty lusting transitory body, my oozy pulpy liquid-bag-swollen body, bones, blood, hair glands, my bejeweled sex; I love and celebrate it all.  never to let men forget that they are animals as much as gods---that is one thing I shall say."

Edward Abbey

Invisiblebackupwards
peon

Loc: somewhere else
Re: Did I ruin these cakes? (Pic) [Re: hawksapprentice]
    #4290246 - 06/13/05 05:45 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

wish you the best of luck, but somehow i doubt that they are going to do anything. not only does it look to wet, but it appears that they are not of the correct ratio. looks like way more brf than verm to me.
they need to be light and fluffy for the myc to grow through at a good rate. to dense and they will not go that fast if at all.
peace

Offlinehawksapprentice
Yearns to Snowboard
 User Gallery

Re: Did I ruin these cakes? (Pic) [Re: backupwards]
    #4290261 - 06/13/05 05:58 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

yeah it sucks, hope it works out, but its a long shot. Hope ya got back up.

--------------------

Edward Abbey

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
    #4291177 - 06/13/05 12:39 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Sometimes the problem are not ratios but how you prepare the substrate and how you fill in the jars.
First mix the verm and water, then while you stir the mixture, add the brf slowly so it mixes evenly.
As it looks, that jar is packed too tight and mycelium will colonize it very slowly, if it colonizes at all. When filling the jars, grab a spoon and just keep pouring, no packing needed.

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Did I ruin these cakes? (Pic) [Re: MAIA]
    #4291188 - 06/13/05 12:46 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I do my pf jars the way you said...

except I lightly pack the jars with substrate...

very lightly!~

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
Re: Did I ruin these cakes? (Pic) [Re: Roadkill]
    #4291345 - 06/13/05 01:27 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Well, me too. It depends how it got filled but i usually pack it at end, so the dry verm layer doesn't start falling into the substrate.
Anyway, i do distribute the substrate now and then, it can be considered a light packing :smile:

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
    #4292214 - 06/13/05 04:26 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

matchbook said:

Damn, and I already used an entire EQ syringe on 8 jars. Well who knows? It could still work.

your gonna have a harder time colonizing jars that look like mush!~

thats what you have there.

they will take much longer to colonize...if they colonize at all.

good luck...I hope they colonize for you.

tc

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds