Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop:   Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Impulse Sealer, Mycobags, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblefinding_self
Stranger
failing
    #4289634 - 06/13/05 02:15 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

failing

Edited by finding_self (04/18/06 10:22 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineBlue Helix
bold hand
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: disgusted (leaching poo) [Re: finding_self]
    #4289687 - 06/13/05 02:37 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Manure is best prepared by gathering aged manure and then soaking it in a large cloth clothes bag at 150F to pasteurize it. Then spawn it out.

Getting it fresh like you did is a big pain, but if you didn't prepare it like you did, you'd almost instantly get a fermentation process going after you spawned it. And you think ammonia is bad? You haven't smelled fermentation of shit. Imagine the smell of vomit amplified greatly. That's the smell fermentation of horse manure.

By the way, how many pounds of shrooms are you trying to grow? Manure really isn't necessary unless you are trying to grow like 5 pounds dry a month or something on a REGULAR basis. If you want just a few dry pounds here and there, you can easily produce that using spawn bags, rye/WBS/vermiculite mix and a sealer. It'll cost you $60 to get the bags and the sealer on Ebay, but then you'd be set to be manure-free for life. And birdseed is super cheap I think it's a little strange how everyone is jumping into manure when they just want a few pounds dry.

OfflineWojo
Self ProclaimedAsshole
Loc: Detroit Son
    #4289691 - 06/13/05 02:39 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

My buddy has horse stalls, i just look in the corners and places that the shit doesnt get picked up.. Found some poo that didnt smell like piss at all. Just pastuerized it and got it all set up tonite. Only 1 jar of brf to 1 jar of poo, but hopefully ill get a lil sumfin out of it :smile:

Point of post, just try to get the poo in the corners thats been there a while.. Also, do that shit outside and you dont need a colander, just soak it, the squeeze the fuck out of it

InvisibleRoadkill
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Snoqualmie, Wa.
Trusted Cultivator
    #4289713 - 06/13/05 02:45 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

lolzz

gotta love da poo!~

:smirk:

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

Invisiblefinding_self
Stranger
no [Re: Wojo]
    #4289874 - 06/13/05 03:27 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

no

Edited by finding_self (04/18/06 10:21 PM)

Offlinexburn
V card
    #4290012 - 06/13/05 04:16 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

take some old milk crates and throw some of your left over poo in it with 25 % wbs and let it sit while watering it every few days and turning every week or so and you'll get soem nice compost : )

--------------------
Check out the official MushroomWiki at http://www.mushroomwiki.com. Stop by and contribute.

OfflineLengthyFellow
I play with poo

#4290019 - 06/13/05 04:18 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

dude its going to take a LONG time to get the smell out of your tub  :poop: :poop: :poop:  :frown:

--------------------

Offlinexburn
V card
Re: disgusted (leaching poo) [Re: LengthyFellow]
    #4290068 - 06/13/05 04:35 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

just bleach it man

--------------------
Check out the official MushroomWiki at http://www.mushroomwiki.com. Stop by and contribute.

InvisibleFooManM
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Earth Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: disgusted (leaching poo) [Re: Blue Helix]
    #4370067 - 07/04/05 07:48 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Blue Helix said:
  Manure really isn't necessary unless you are trying to grow like 5 pounds dry a month or something on a REGULAR basis.  If you want just a few dry pounds here and there, you can easily produce that using spawn bags, rye/WBS/vermiculite mix and a sealer.  It'll cost you $60 to get the bags and the sealer on Ebay, but then you'd be set to be manure-free for life.  And birdseed is super cheap  I think it's a little strange how everyone is jumping into manure when they just want a few pounds dry.

Not to knock that idea, but in my experience, I have found the poo to produce far more potent mushrooms. It's free too, if you have access to it. Like Road says, you gotta love the poo! :poop: :thumbup:

--------------------

InvisibleRoadkill
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Snoqualmie, Wa.
Trusted Cultivator
Re: disgusted (leaching poo) [Re: FooMan]
    #4370148 - 07/04/05 08:28 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

FooManShroom said:

I have found the poo to produce far more potent mushrooms.

It's free too, if you have access to it.

Like Road says, you gotta love the poo! :poop: :thumbup:

way more potent!~

oh I do I do...

love the poo da poo.

:grin:

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

OfflineBlue Helix
bold hand
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #4371992 - 07/05/05 01:22 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I don't disgree at all. I love poo too, but I just don't spawn it anymore, a process which eats up 1 to 1.5 weeks of additional time, is more hassle, and creates risk. I made that decision myself only last month after I realized there is no reason to spawn out unless you have a small pressure cooker or want to grow literally enough for a small city.

I just mix the manure in with my WBS in the spawn bags before sterilization. I have done straight birdseed bags, but they really don't do as well without something to better keep the moisture. One can either use vermiculite or poo to do this, but I like poo or poo/vermiculite better because it gives the grains a better moisture retention AND those nutrients that gives the shrooms more kick.

InvisibleFooManM
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #4373432 - 07/05/05 09:41 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Hey Blue, you didn't mention poo in the other post- just the WBS/Verm/Rye. Like I said, I wasn't knocking the spawnbag idea. I just like the potency of the poo, but now that you suggested mixing in the poo with everything in the spawn bag, I think I will try that myself. It should be a kick ass sub without needing pasturization. I learn something new here everyday! :headbanger: I'm guessing water would be field capacity for this mix too?

--------------------

OfflineBlue Helix
bold hand
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: disgusted (leaching poo) [Re: FooMan]
    #4373480 - 07/05/05 09:56 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Now, let's get this right. You won't need pasteurization, but you do need sterilization of the contents of the spawn bag, which include the horse poo. The spawn bags are loaded with the horse poo/WBS mix with vermiculite too if you want. They are then put in the pressure cooker with the top neatly folded down along the side. Separate multiple bags with something (I use canning jar bands). You can rest the bags against the sides of the cooker and they'll be fine. Cooking a pressure cooker full of bags requires 3 to 4 hours of cook time to do the job (source Growing Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms). Pressure cook the bags with the weight just barely moving or else you are more likely to dry out a cheaper cooker, which will ruin everything.

Once the time is up, let the cooker cool for a few hours. Then in a clean bathroom with Oust sprayed around, your facial mask on, and alcohol-sterilized rubber gloves on, all doors/windows shut, open the cooker and gently move the flap into the heat impulse sealer. Don't allow ANY air in the bag. If you have to move the bag to get it in place for the sealer, then pick it up from the bottom of the bag with both hands to prevent any air getting inside the bag. Once it's well sealed, you can get some strong rubber clamp clips and hang it up by the top of the bag for about 30 minutes. This will draw air in through the filter patch into the bag so you can mix it up once it's injected with the live culture.

Offlinestarseed1066
officially hosed

Loc: close enough to get mysel...
    #4373595 - 07/05/05 10:28 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

uhh i'm using poo right now and i dont get anything close to a few dry pounds. i think off one flush i had like two ounces from a couple containers.

then again i think i'm going about this all wrong :frown:

--------------------
Under his instruction, I taped drumsticks to his head and turned him into a sort of mummy, or perhaps a caterpiller in a cocoon. He remains this way for about three hours, making bizarre noises, pretending to be a new species that must learn to walk and talk and eat, etc. And he communicates with other life forms by way of the antennae on his head. Eventually we jam a tube from a waterbong into it's mouth and figure he's learned all he needs to know.

OfflineBlue Helix
bold hand
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #4373649 - 07/05/05 10:44 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

starseed, it could be any number of problems. The key to big yields is casing and knowing how to properly colonize the casing layer. That's probably the hardest part of growing the big yields, how to colonize the casing layer without overlaying it too badly. There's a lot of information about that on here if you search.

If you are doing everything right, you can expect about 100-200% biological efficiency. In mycology biological efficiency is the wet weight of the mushrooms divided by the dry weight of the substrate times 100. In a typical 12-quart dishwasher tray, like those sold at Walmart and promoted by agar, scatmanrav, myself, and many others, you can expect anywhere from about 0 to maybe as high as 12 dry (probably typically about 6 ounces in a highly successful tray over 3 flushes) ounces depending on packing of the bed, casing, your ability to keep the substrate hydrated, your patience with the later flushes, luck, etc.

Learned to grow is an art form of sorts. I have my good trays and my bad ones (but always too many mushrooms) even today as I have not perfected that art form like many who grow constantly have seemingly done.

InvisibleFooManM
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #4374821 - 07/06/05 07:24 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Blue Helix said:
Cooking a pressure cooker full of bags requires 3 to 4 hours of cook time to do the job (source Growing Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms).

If I were to only do 1-2 bags at a time, would my typical 70-90min @ 15PSI work? Also, I will be using mycobags with the self-healing injector site and filter patch, so my bags will be sealed prior to sterilization.

--------------------

OfflineBlue Helix
bold hand
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #4375244 - 07/06/05 12:01 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I usually do two bags at a time but they are pretty full, like about 3/4ths up to the filter patch, so we are talking 8-10 pounds wet in those bags. If you do two smaller bags with about half that amount per bag, you could probably reduce the time to 2 hours but 70 minutes is really pushing it. It really all depends on the pack. It's way better to go too long than too short with grain, unless you run the cooker dry then everything is ruined as the bags will melt.

OfflineBurmeseman
Stranger
    #4375446 - 07/06/05 01:21 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

and it doesn't destroy any of the nutrients that the mycelium feed off of?

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: disgusted (leaching poo) [Re: Burmeseman]
    #4375656 - 07/06/05 02:22 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Sterilizing for a longer length of time doesnt remove any nutes or anything like that. Neither does pressure cooking. Some bacteria that helps with colonizing...but its not really needed.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop:   Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Impulse Sealer, Mycobags, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation