Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineNeeko
Who the heck...wha?
Looking for some reassurance from you experts...
    #4287666 - 06/12/05 04:25 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Hey guys, long time reader, first time poster ;P  Just a trivial posting really..

Does that look like it should look, or is it undercolonized/got another kind of mold growing?

That's the same cake I think..

I've been reading material on this site back and forth for a year or so, trying to educate myself on the lifecycle of the mushroom but a lot of the pictures are a little fuzzy (thanks anyway guys!  They're still much appreciated, you've shown me a lot) so I'm having trouble distinguishing what I assume a colonized cake should look like versus a cake overtaken by something else, or is dehydrated, etc.  They look like the white cakes I see here, but I feel I'm missing some subtle differences.

A FOAF is actually putting some of what he's learned into practice w/ gourmet edibles and I keep getting pictures to help him ID but I thought I'd get the opinions of the community  :tongue2:

More pics available if these aren't adequate, but essentially I'm just asking...

Are these healthy looking PF cakes? :smile:

Thanks! 

Hope I'm posting in the right place, for the right reasons, and whatnot..

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineLengthyFellow
I play with poo

Re: Looking for some reassurance from you experts... [Re: Neeko]
    #4287672 - 06/12/05 04:26 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Those look great! good job!

edit: the part on top is just verm that was pressed up against the bottom of your jar, no worries

--------------------

Invisiblebackupwards
peon

Loc: somewhere else
Re: Looking for some reassurance from you experts... [Re: LengthyFellow]
    #4287732 - 06/12/05 04:36 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

what lengthy said.
good luck
peace

Offlinebeyondsisxth
Title?
Male User Gallery

Re: Looking for some reassurance from you experts... [Re: backupwards]
    #4287761 - 06/12/05 04:40 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Cakes look solid. Very nice.

--------------------
The sun was pulling cheap shots doing commercial body tricks, Behind the back, Under the leg, I think he even did a headspin, On a crossfader that sounded whack, But looked excellent, All of the sudden it gets dim, The crater face steps in, Puts mexican drumbreaks on the Technics, He's like "Let's begin", He conducted an orchestra so dope the sun started sweatin' him, I guess he'd expected to win on pure artistic merit, Composing complex plays with nothin but soundbytes, Burned out the lights, Made MCs too self conscious quit the master mics, For a thousand nights, It continued without a single slip up, Except once the record skipped, But it kinda sounded cool.

OfflineNeeko
Who the heck...wha?
    #4287790 - 06/12/05 04:45 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Ahhh, that's why I love this place.  I posted this like ten minutes ago and three people have already kicked in their reassurance and applause.  Thanks for the support :smile:  This site/community rock  :thumbup:  :thumbup:

Good to know things have gone smoothly so far..

Offlinemushroommark
Earning mybluethumb

#4287899 - 06/12/05 05:06 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Beautiful

Invisibledeanofmean
mycophagous

Loc: PNW
    #4287980 - 06/12/05 05:19 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

looks like you have it down :cool:
now cut one of those cakez in half and case it. :smile:

Offlineoysterguy63
60's child

Loc: God's Country
Re: Looking for some reassurance from you experts... [Re: deanofmean]
    #4288031 - 06/12/05 05:32 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Definitely colonized and ready to go.  Nice work.....whatever (case) method you decide to (case) use to (case) grow, good (case) luck.  Subliminally yours, Oysterguy63.  :smile:

--------------------
Oysters...yuummmmm

OfflineBilly1111
I Don't Know
 User Gallery

Loc: In That Place
Re: Looking for some reassurance from you experts... [Re: oysterguy63]
    #4288124 - 06/12/05 05:53 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

how long and what temps were u incubating???

good luck!

--------------------
"to be free of the opinion of others......to be free of the opinion of yourself............"

I have schizophrenia.All my post are lies written by one of my alter egos.Help search for a cure.

OfflineBlue Helix
bold hand
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Looking for some reassurance from you experts... [Re: Billy1111]
    #4289737 - 06/13/05 12:52 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Neeko, welcome. I know how exciting the first few batches of PF-style cakes can be. In reality, though, what you have there is a perfectly healthy cake. The fuzz is a good sign and generally just shows mycelium vigor. It is nearly impossible for a contaminate to overtake a cake as healthy as the one in your picture unless you were providing a totally horrible environment. Mycelium is pretty tough stuff once it's got the upper hand.

OfflineNeeko
Who the heck...wha?
Re: Looking for some reassurance from you experts... [Re: deanofmean]
    #4290094 - 06/13/05 02:45 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

My FOAF, let's call him "I" --

I had a batch of jars fail awhile back, absolutely zero colonization.. I figured the problem was the temps I kept them in (some jars under my desk, some jars in my computer case (experimenting without doing it legit the first time is stupid and prone to failure!)

For these jars, I tucked them into a styrofoam cooler and put them on the top bunk of my bed (a weird IKEA setup, the top bunk is like ~2.5 feet from the ceiling) where it's pretty warm all the time.  They colonized like crazy :smile:  I'll definitely get a thermometer and maybe even a hygrometer (for the next steps..) and take some numbers next time so I can contribute better information back to the people that follow in my footsteps (as I'm following in yours (shroomery community) :smile:

I've got a few of the cakes in a terrarium, I was hesitant to go straight to casing.  When the remaining cakes are fully colonized I'll definitely consider going the casing route with them thanks to the glowing reviews of the cakes so far.  Here's to hoping I see some pins soon..

I'm really happy I decided to go ahead and post, I feel pretty good about my work now.  Thanks again guys!

EDIT:
I love that "related threads" box, I just collected a shitload of valuable real-life experiences with casing that blew my mind :smile:

Edited by Neeko (06/13/05 02:58 AM)

OfflineNeeko
Who the heck...wha?
    #4321992 - 06/21/05 06:45 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Update!

Would you pick this mushroom ahead of the flush? The rest of them are 3-4 days behind this one..

And is the red arrow pointing to the veil? I don't think this had enough proper light above it to guide it, as it grew out horizontally and is now almost touching the perlite.. problem seems to have been alleviated.

OfflineCLUTCH
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#4322053 - 06/21/05 06:56 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Yep, that's the veil. Don't pick it until at least the veil breaks though. Yes you can pick it before the others. You don't want to leave it on there and let it get all nasty.

Congratulations!

OfflineNeeko
Who the heck...wha?
Re: Looking for some reassurance from you experts... [Re: CLUTCH]
    #4322083 - 06/21/05 07:01 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks for the grants man.  Good to hear :smile:

I also meant to ask about the mycelium crawling up the stem.. any advice?    I hear it's not fatal or anything..  :crazy2:

Invisiblefearfect
    #4322117 - 06/21/05 07:06 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

that one looks fine.  either it is really heavy and can't support itself, or you don't really have light coming from a definite direction.  If you have light coming in only on the top, they will grow up, towards it.  if its coming in on the sides, top and all around, its going to be confused which way is up and grow wherever it feels like.  Its not a huge problem though for beginners, you'll still get them :smile:

often I have myc at the base of my mushrooms, thats normal

don't pick him till he's ready to be picked :wink: once the veil breaks (you will know) you can either wait a tad longer or pick him.  the red arrow is pointing at the veil.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom