Home | Community | Message Board

SoulSpeciosa Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflinePersocom
Stranger
 User Gallery
Mycelial exudate
    #4288087 - 06/12/05 07:46 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Anyone who has observed healthy mycelium in a jar has seen small amounts of a orange/yellow liquid forming on the surface of the mycelium that is obviously not a contaminant. I was told that this is "mushroom piss" and not to worry about it. My question is, what is it? I've searched the web and have found no information as to the composition of this stuff. It seems to be some sort of waste product of the fungal metabolism, but I would really like to know what it is. Does anyone out there know?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Mycelial exudate [Re: Persocom]
    #4288658 - 06/12/05 10:11 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Survival of the fittest is a natural law of evolution throughout all time. Consequently, as fungi, plants & animals evolved they either developed ways or means to cleanse themselves of any excess things, wastes or matter that if allowed to accumulate in excess within it that would eventually create toxicity, sickness, inability to function, procreate and/or death. If not, the species did not survive.

So, I gather if a body of growing mycelium ingests excess of anything that may become toxic enough (if allowed to accumulate) to eventually harm, disable or kill it, if it does not somehow rid itself of that excess (whatever it is).

Quite often, those who use dung based substrates will sometimes note as colonization is near complete, some excretions of light yellow to dark brown fluids, sometimes thin, or thick. That is the mycelia excreting - whatever excess of some substance that if not expelled, would become toxic enough to be detrimental to its survival.

--------------------

OfflineCerebro
Spawnmaster C
Male User Gallery Arcade Champion: Crash Down

Loc: Cocytus
Re: Mycelial exudate [Re: Persocom]
    #7490888 - 10/06/07 11:47 AM (9 years, 2 months ago)

I know it has urea in it. Mushroom use the Urea cycle. They pee. Mycelium also produce waste exopolysaccharides, acids, and excrete enzymes. I think it has phermones in it that effect cell division and hyphal mating.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation