Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineroykinn
enthusiast

questions about colonization and heat...
    #428730 - 10/17/01 08:04 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

I'm letting my mason jars colonize in a dark drawer in my room, I know that a steady heat of around 85 deg. will speed up the colonization a lot... I just need a few ideas of how to heat it up without damaging the growth... note: the drawer is not too large, so it cant be anything really large, thanks

--------------------
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline- It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nunclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." -Frank Zappa

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleFungusFarmer
old hand

Re: questions about colonization and heat... [Re: roykinn]
    #428753 - 10/17/01 08:28 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

My advice is DON'T bother with heating the jars..

I had a bad experience using a heating pad, even though I was very careful to make sure the temp never got above 85 at the jar lids (heating pad was on top.)

OVer time, the jars slowed down and the myco started to blue. Cracked one of the cakes open and the inside was all blue too, turns out they had been dried to the point of no return by the heating pad.

As long as you don't live in an igloo, room temp should be just fine, even if takes a little longer it's better than frying the jars. The worst part was, puscle told me so right when I started but I went ahead anyways

Grover

--------------------
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- "What did you dream...it's all right we told you what to dream! Welcome, my son, to The Machine" Roger Waters, Pink Floyd

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation