Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!
On the second and third flush on one of my three casings I ran across an issue. I didn't see any discolor/texture on the second flush until the mushrooms were mature. On the third flush, however, I kept an eye on it and the discolor/texture was there shortly after pinning when the stems started to bulk up.
They look as if they were almost bruised as they had an off dark color where the texture was bumpy. The other two casing fruits are perfectly white and fluffy.
I've had several casings in the past but have never ran into this before. Are these edible? I split the casing before I tossed it out and there were no discolors. It looked rather dry, however.
Sorry that their a bit blurry. Unfortunately these are the only pics I have.
I guess it might be possible. I'm sorry, but it's really hard to tell what that is with certainty in those pics.
Spores (and mold unfortunately) should easily wipe off with a swab; this will at least let you distinguish from bruising. It might be harder to distinguish between mold and spores because both might have a similar outer appearance (colored 'fluffiness' if there was mycelium on the stem).
Honestly though, in my opinion, those look like quite healthy mushrooms. I VERY HIGHLY doubt that is mold growing on them. The pattern of dusty-looking coloration on the top of the caps is unmistakingly spore deposition, and the color and diffuse nature on the stems looks very similar in your pic.
To reassure yourself, you might try breaking open the mushroom at the base and seeing how far the discoloration goes in. Even if you convince yourself you have a mold problem (which I doubt), you'd likely be fine just chopping off that suspicious part at the bottom of the shroom on the left.
If you haven't dried them yet, wash them off first in the sink, rubbing off the spores with your fingers before you begin drying.