Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Illegal activities sprout along with mushrooms
    #4285626 - 06/12/05 02:40 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/localnews/content/local_news/epaper/2005/06/12/m1c_slShrooms_0612.html

Illegal activities sprout along with mushrooms
The Treasure Coast is fertile ground for a hallucinogenic fungus.

By Sofia Santana
Palm Beach Post Staff Writer
Sunday, June 12, 2005

The season's heavy rains recede slowly, leaving small, muddy puddles in a cow pasture along Jenkins Road in suburban Fort Pierce.

Here, spoon-sized caps of maturing beige mushrooms peek through tufts of vibrant green grass.
FIELD TRIP: The photograph shows a psilocybin mushroom growing in cow manure. It is estimated that a dozen arrests are made each year in St. Lucie County and twice as many in Martin of people illegally picking the hallucinogenic mushrooms.

The moist field is fertile ground for an abundance of these mushrooms ? the psychedelic and potentially poisonous kind.

"Magic mushroom" pickers often flock to rural pockets of the Treasure Coast during the wet season in search of the mushrooms that sprout from small piles of dung and contain a hallucinogen similar to LSD called psilocybin.

Two St. Lucie teens were arrested on trespassing charges this week after deputies found them at the Jenkins Road pasture with a bag stuffed with mushrooms. St. Lucie County sheriff's deputies seized the mushrooms, and the regional crime lab in Fort Pierce is testing them for psilocybin. If the mushrooms contain the hallucinogen, the teens could also be charged with a felony.

"There are two things we respond to: the trespassing and then the mushrooms," said St. Lucie Sheriff Ken Mascara.

The sheriff's offices in Martin and St. Lucie counties regularly patrol rural areas and are not shy about using helicopters and blocking off areas to catch suspected pickers. They also hope the aggressive tactics will deter others, many of whom apparently learn about the mushroom patches on the Treasure Coast from the Internet, authorities say.

Drug Enforcement Administration officials estimate that about a dozen suspected mushroom pickers are caught each year in St. Lucie, and at least twice as many in Martin.

People who live near these pastures say the mushroom-pickers are a nuisance more than anything else.

"It's just not a very respectful thing to do to march on someone else's property without asking," said Mary Smith, who lives near a pasture along Edwards Road in St. Lucie. "The animals get scared easily and they kick the fence or run through it and get hurt like that."

Others worry the problem could be more serious, saying that people are being hired to pick the psychedelic mushrooms that will later be dried and sold illegally. The mother of one of the teens arrested this week for trespassing said her 16-year-old son was one of those hired by a local man.

"I'm extremely concerned, and as a parent, I'm drug-free and don't condone or accept that," said the mother, who asked not to be identified in order to protect the identity of her son.

She said it was the first time her son had picked mushrooms, and she hopes he learns from the experience.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineesin
cheesefondue
 User Gallery

Loc: Lysergia
Re: Illegal activities sprout along with mushrooms [Re: Anno]
    #4285862 - 06/12/05 05:38 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

The mother of one of the teens arrested this week for trespassing said her 16-year-old son was one of those hired by a local man.

Suuuuuuuure  :smirk:

Offlinerocknliam
happy willowdweller
 User Gallery

Re: Illegal activities sprout along with mushrooms [Re: esin]
    #4285908 - 06/12/05 07:19 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

No man thats true, AND it was his first time too!

Haha, parents don't want to believe their kids might be interested in anything slightly left of center :whatever:

InvisibleSuperD
Cacti junky
 User Gallery

Loc: The bridgesii bridge
Re: Illegal activities sprout along with mushrooms [Re: rocknliam]
    #4285956 - 06/12/05 07:59 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

<<She said it was the first time her son had picked mushrooms, and she hopes he learns from the experience.>>

He would have learned a lot more from the experience if he had eaten the mushrooms.  :mushroom2:

--------------------
:super:D
Manoa said:
I need to stop spending all my money on plants and take up a cheaper hobby, like heroin. :lol:

Looking for Rauhocereus riosaniensis seeds or live specimen(s), :pm: me if you have any for trade

InvisibleOneMoreRobot3021
Male

Loc: the sky
Re: Illegal activities sprout along with mushrooms [Re: Anno]
    #4286237 - 06/12/05 10:19 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I can't believe you can be arrested for picking mushrooms. :shake:

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

Invisiblekake
The answer to1984 is 1776.
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The 66th harmonic
Re: Illegal activities sprout along with mushrooms [Re: OneMoreRobot3021]
    #4286965 - 06/12/05 01:35 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Right...I understand their logic(which is flawed any way) in making it illegal to grow them, but then on top of that, its a felony for simply picking up mushrooms from a field??? What if you were out collecting species, and you happened to pick up some Psilocybes along the way, they go back and test them, now you're a FELON? <b>WTF.</b> How are you supposed to know they have psilocybin in them? Last I checked, we aren't embedded with supercomputers that can analyze a mushroom on site.

Granted, I'm sure this kid was just going for the Psilocybes, but the law is inherently fucked.

--------------------
The answer to 1984 is 1776.

OfflineMitchnast
Toadmonger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Okanagan Flag
Re: Illegal activities sprout along with mushrooms [Re: kake]
    #4288722 - 06/12/05 08:22 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

go picking in pairs, one on lookout.
see the cops? run!
have an escape route in advance.
a ditch spot is also handy. hollow tree, flat rock over hole, etc.

bring a fishing line. in MANY places, it legal for angler with fishing licenses to cross private property to reach bodies of water. the provision is you must not harm the property or enter posted land

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract