Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Science and Technology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleOneMoreRobot3021
Male

Loc: the sky
Network Connection help (on a mac here)
    #4284185 - 06/11/05 07:50 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

I'll make this as simple as possible:

My mom has a Dell with a RoadRunner cable modem connection.

I want to hook my Mac laptop up to it. In the Network section of System Prefs, it shows a yellow dot signifying that it recognizes the connection is there, but it won't actually let me connect to the net. I've already tried pressing Renew DHCP Lease but nothing doing.

What's a guy to do?

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineBigGameHunter
Tech
Re: Network Connection help (on a mac here) [Re: OneMoreRobot3021]
    #4284735 - 06/11/05 11:12 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

What version of OS X are you running?

Are you connected directly to the cable modem or through a router?
I have seen some problems with certain cable companies involving some macs connected directly to the cable modem (everything is connected ok but it will not work properly). Take the same computer & connect it through a router & it works fine.

What is the IP address of the computer? If it is a 169.xxx.xxx.xxx then it is a self-assigned IP address & not getting an IP address from the cable modem.

You may have to reset your cable modem because it may be looking for the mac address of the network card that is in your Dell machine which would be different than the mac address of the network card in your Mac.

Make sure the IP address on the cable modem (the side that is connected to your computer) is not supposed to be a static IP address instead of DHCP.

InvisibleOneMoreRobot3021
Male

Loc: the sky
Re: Network Connection help (on a mac here) [Re: BigGameHunter]
    #4284745 - 06/11/05 11:17 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks for the reply. Suffer ended up helping me out, all I ahd to do was turn the cable modem on and off.

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

InvisibleKrishna
कृष्ण,LOL
 User Gallery

Loc: oakland
Re: Network Connection help (on a mac here) [Re: OneMoreRobot3021]
    #4302832 - 06/16/05 10:13 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

:lol: easy fix.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Science and Technology