Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineKalix
'Head

WTF??!? Is with this Grey Mold??
    #4282185 - 06/11/05 12:10 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Where is it coming from? I pc my WBS @ 15 psi, for 30 min.. I use neutra air in the innoc area, and dip the needle in isopropyl. These are only 1/2 pints. My incubator is 80-84 degrees.. I have got 5 jars with this grey mold thus far, and one of them had bacillum too.. How bad is this grey mold? I'm not gonna spawn it to poo, but IU've got 2 outdoor beds already, and I'm running outta shade in my backyard already. Any suggestions?

--------------------

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: The Shotgun of Sweet Reason

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

Re: WTF??!? Is with this Grey Mold?? [Re: Kalix]
    #4282463 - 06/11/05 02:44 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Gray and fluffy?

I had that...stopped the growth...I ended up just throwing that spot w/ the grey lod out...we'll see how it does :cool:...

Gray is like cobweb, cept doesnt travl as fast and it's fluffy...lol

I've recently see 3 jars have that...cept it was black :whoa:

-Gnostic

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: WTF??!? Is with this Grey Mold?? [Re: IGnosticAbhorI]
    #4282903 - 06/11/05 09:29 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Allow me to make a diagnosis if I may.

15lbs for 30 minutes is not enough. Go for one full hour.

Do not dip your needle in alcohol. Flame sterilize the needle instead. If you doubt this, simply dip a finger in alcohol, then make a fingerprint in a petri dish of agar. Within three days, you'll see all sorts of nasty crap growing on the dish. Alcohol is a very nice 'sanitizer' but it's horrible at 'sterilizing' which is what you need for mycology. Find a good medical website and do a few searches. Compare 'sanitize' with 'sterilize'. Alcohol is vastly over rated, imo.

Don't forget, the inside of your needle gets contaminated with the normal air flow as well. Flame sterilization until the needle is red hot will kill bad guys on the inside as well as the outside of the needle.

80 to 84 is way too hot to incubate grains. Any temp over 80 will favor molds and bacteria and not mushroom mycelium. One must bear in mind the mycelium produces heat as it grows. If your jars are in an environment of 84F, the inside temp will be over 90F. That reduces the growth of the mushroom mycelium and encourages bacteria. Always incubate grain jars at room temperature. Good luck!
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineKalix
'Head

Re: WTF??!? Is with this Grey Mold?? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #4283006 - 06/11/05 10:06 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

thanks a ton Roger! I'll update my style!

--------------------

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: The Shotgun of Sweet Reason

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom