Home | Community | Message Board

Azarius
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Perlite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineWillieTomg
If stemmer votedme 1, I'm doingSOMETHING right!
Loc: On the insides of your ey...
Second opinions?
    #4282690 - 06/11/05 09:36 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

After about 5 weeks of hard colonization with my Cambodian PF jars (there was an unfortunate "incident" with a heating pad early in incubation, contributing to the long time IMO) all 12 jars are fully colonized and ready to be put in the two fruiting chambers (6 in each).

The chambers themselves are both 12"x18"x10" Rubbermaid containers with opaque sides and clear lids.  Temp and humidity shouldn't be problems (thank you perlite tek!) but gas exchange might be kinda tricky, since my schedule (and my memory) doesn't lend itself to multiple daily fannings.  I've seen some pics of grow chambers, and LOVE the idea of holes stuffed with polyfill (props to Wronguy, he brought it to my attention first) but there are some issues there:

1) I have no polyfill on hand (easily solved by a trip to Ben Franklin's, but if I were interested in going places and doing things then I'd be going there and doing them instead of surfing the internet. :shrug:)

2)Big wads of polyfil sticking out of a Rubbermaid container look REALLY sketchy, and as my mother always told me about pot-smoking, "It pays to be discreet"  It's not like I'm going to store the chambers in the living room or anything, but the less attention the tubs attract the better. 

So here's the tenative workaround plan that me and my partners in this little experiment have thought up:  Drill 3 holes in each side of both tubs with a 13/16" drill bit, for a total of 12 13/16" holes in each tub.  Then fix 2" cotton pads over each hole with thin strips of duct tape on the inside of the chamber.  Sterilize with Lysol or bleach/water, add perlite and water, then follow the PF tek normally from there after a dunk and roll. 

Anybody want to spot check that for stupidity?  Enough holes or big enough holes?  Would Lysol be enough?  Do I REALLY need to use polyfill, or can I get away with cotton?  I've also heard that Lysol or bleach can poison PF cakes (!!!) is there any truth to this? Inquiring minds want to know...

(Also, brief side question: about half the cakes are only 6oz instead of the recomended 8oz.  Would this affect yields horribly, or should I expect a smaller flush?  I've sorta set a personal goal for about 3 grams dry per cake, so after a dunk would it be reasonable to expect that from a 60z cake?)

--------------------
Battles of wits are impossible with the unarmed.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offline1HappyShroomer
Stranger
Re: Second opinions? [Re: WillieTomg]
    #4282725 - 06/11/05 10:04 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

To your first 4 or so questions I have no answers. To your brief side question, I would say that 3 grams dry weight per 6oz. cake should be easy to get especially after a good dunk...I have personally found the plain dunk and not the dunk and roll to work best for me. peace

Offlineharpd
Passing By

Re: Second opinions? [Re: 1HappyShroomer]
    #4282731 - 06/11/05 10:08 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Lysol can cause mutations to occur, so I would use a bleach and water mix or alcohol to sterilize the area. I'm not sure if cotton would work, but my guess is that it would work, just not quite as well as polyfill. Anyone else?

DHarp

--------------------
When you get the blanket thing you can relax because everything you could ever want or be you already have and are.

OfflineWillieTomg
Re: Second opinions? [Re: harpd]
    #4283489 - 06/11/05 03:09 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Well, thanks for the advice. Sterilized the tubs w. bleach. Wound up drilling 6 holes on each side, 3 on the top, 3 on the bottom, for a total of 12 each tub. I hope that this is enough to provide gas exchange without compromising the humidity. Oh, and it turns out that I had to make a trip to the arts and crafts store anyway, so I got some polyfill. If anyone asks I'll just break something to make a distraction I guess...

Oh, and I had to downcheck one of the cakes due to contams (damn shame, that cake had ONE day left until birthing...[/chief wiggum impression]) so I have 11 left.

Wish me luck guys.

--------------------

OfflineGatorB
Stranger
Loc: Southeast Tennessee
Re: Second opinions? [Re: WillieTomg]
    #4283496 - 06/11/05 03:12 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

how big were your holes?

OfflineWillieTomg
Re: Second opinions? [Re: GatorB]
    #4283742 - 06/11/05 04:44 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

13/16ths of an inch.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Perlite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation