Home | Community | Message Board

Crestline Sales - MycoPath
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Science and Technology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinevelvet
Stranger

opening windows admin files?
    #4282450 - 06/11/05 04:38 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

i'm trying to get files from one hardrive to another, most of the stuff on the drive i want to copy is under i:\Documents and Settings\Username. Username has admin rights and password and the files are set not to be shared. i know the password tho so that's not a problem. when i try to open it it say it's "not accesable, access is denied" so i'm stuck. i can open every other file on th hd cept this one. it say 0kb in the properties for it as well. does it have some sort of protection or something? is there a way to open these files? i think i might have enabled some extra security stuff to protect those files but i'm not really sure. thanx  :hippie:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleautomanM
blasted chipmunk
 User Gallery

Re: opening windows admin files? [Re: velvet]
    #4282777 - 06/11/05 10:43 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

boot into the command prompt using a floppy boot disk

type:
Quote:

cd i:\Documents and Settings\Username

then to see what is in that directory:
Quote:

dir /p

if it lists anything, you know things are still there. if you find something you want to move to, say, a folder on your c: drive called 'backup' that is located at c:\backup, you can copy it over using dos:
Quote:

cp i:\Documents and Settings\username c:\backup

hope this helps some.

--------------------
No, no, you're not thinking, you're just being logical. ~ Niels Bohr

Offlinevelvet
Stranger

Re: opening windows admin files? [Re: automan]
    #4284238 - 06/11/05 08:04 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

i tried that and it wouldn't recognize the drive at all. windows at leasts sees some of the drive. i also tried booting into knoppix and transfering the files. neither of the drives i have were detected with knoppix and i couldn't figure out how to do it. one of the drives is a sata with NTFS files partitoned to 150gb and 100gb sections. the other is an ide drive with  one 80gb fat32 section. i have win xp installed on that drive atm. i have all my programs and media on the first drive.

the drive i can't access reads under properties that it has like 130gb used. i've checked each file and they didn't amount to more than 60gb so the rest accounts for my music and stuff but i can't see it, it always says access denied and reads as 0kb :frown: i think i might have encrypted the files using the windows encrypton check box under properties but nothing more than that.

the reason i'm having to do all this is i got a virus on my hardrive so i deleted too much stuff so i messed up the system folders. i tried to fix it, but all i have is the install disk and recovery console couldn't fix it and neither did system restore. i didn't want to format the drive so i installed windows to another hd and now want to get my files and nothing shows up that i want all the program and system files do tho :frown:

OfflineBigGameHunter
Tech
Re: opening windows admin files? [Re: velvet]
    #4284799 - 06/11/05 11:46 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

It does sound like it may be encrypted (I'm not sure)

I don't think this suggestion will help because if you have Windows XP installed on a FAT32 drive you will not have the same file security options (encryption, permissions) as you would if it was installed on a NTFS drive, but you can try to change ownership of the file.

right click the file
select properties
select security tab
select advanced
select owner tab
under "change owner to"
try to select a different account if one is available
try to access the file under the new owner's username & password

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Science and Technology