Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Turning a closet, into a fruiting chamber (stealth) * 2
    #4024838 - 04/07/05 02:32 AM (19 years, 13 days ago)

I?ve been asked this a number of times, so here?s what I?ve done. Work in progress..let me know if you see something odd or have any questions?

I have 3 closets in my apartment and everything is kept stealth (for visitors, not my room mate who lives here or parents or anything like that) First I?ll start with the incubation closet. I used to run two TIT?s.

My dehydrator was in there though and that got heat up by itself. So I threw it on a timer, and removed the TITs.

And the closet maintains a nice 80-86 degrees. No, there?s no potency loss drying this way IME. That?s another topic though..

Now to the fruiting chamber closets?the old closets were rolls of plastic sheeting (Walmart or Ace Hardware ect) tacked up and duct taped with clear duct tape over EVERY tack and EVERY seam. Every seam overlapped a good amount too:

And you can see the plastic shelving (varied to fit perfectly) and clip on lights..with compact flouro (15 watters) bulbs in them. There?s also a strip flouro above the door.

I recently made a change to bulk though instead of straight cased grains (mostly rye, and that?s most of what people have seen from me in the past) which required a whole closet redesign. This time, instead of multiple pieces of plastic sheeting, I went with a single, solid blue tarp. Tarps are colored by thickness, I went with blue which is 2 mil..the thinnest..you could get thicker if you feel the urge but I think the blue is fine.

First you want to set up shelves such as this white one, that fit perfectly in your closet:

You set them up, on the floor so that the whole closet will be elevated. This will allow you to put the humidifier underneath to pull in fresh air. You want to cut the shelve heights to about 12 inches high (or whatever works for your setup) and line them up along the bottom?it took 3 side by side to cover my closet:

Then you?ll need corner strapping. I?m not sure that its actually called strapping, but it looks like strapping made for corners..It?s very thin (so thin you?ll be afraid of accidentally bending it), from Home Depot?comes in 8 and 10 foot pieces. You can easily cut it with Tin Snips or any shears or anything to 2 footish pieces (or whatever to fit your closet). They don?t have to go along the entire wall?you only need smaller pieces then the length that you need to hold up the tarp?

It will be very difficult to maneuver this huge tarp within your closet, and get it straight?but there are lines and grids on it (and dark lines every so often) to help you line it up. Then once you get it up against the corner of the farthest top corner (from the door) and hold it up there, making sure it will cover the rest of the 5 walls (6 walls total, including the ceiling and floor as walls) You can easily put a 1 or 2 foot piece of corner strapping (were talking on 5 foot wide wall) right up in that corner and throw a screw in the middle hole. That will hold it up for you..throw in another 2 screws on each end (one in ceiling, one in back wall) and that will put the piece up nice and tight for you. I got no pictures of it before I taped over it, but you can see it taped over here and what I mean:

Then you can move to the opposite wall (right above the door) and do the same. This will be easier from here out, since its now held into place and wont move..as long as you lined it up right to start..you can stretch it tight to the ceiling and throw up some corner strapping above the door. Then stretch it tight to the ceiling to each side and put a piece of corner strapping in each side. That?s 4 pieces of corner strapping, 2-2 footers and 2-1 footers, and a tarp- about 20ft by 9ft. It was a bigger tarp, but I cut it down before getting into the closet based on my measurements (8 feet tall, 5 feet wide, almost 2 feet depth) if you take width, 5, plus both side walls, 2 each so total of 4, and you get 9 feet and then take length by adding the floor, 2 ft, the height, 8 feet, the ceiling, 2 feet, and back down again, 8 ft..total of 20 feet?pretty easy, and cuts back on excess tarp in the closet (BIG plus trying to deal with it.

From here..you can just use single screws VERY sparingly along the edge of the seems down both sides (overlap and fold it like a present) just to hold it in place. You don?t need to hold it to the wall with the screws, the 4 brackets will support the weight..you only put in screws at points that come unfolded when you don?t hold them and where they are needed..dont put more holes then needed though and your gonna end up taping all seams anyway.

Once its all secured, you can tape it up. Keep in mind this whole time you?ll need to create a door based on your closet. You?ll want to try and have flaps that overlap where it opens at the doors so that it seals mostly airtight. You?ll need to be creative with this project! Along the bottom seams and anywhere that needs strength, I used ?Strapping Tape? which is like impossible to tear, good for strengthening. Any seams, and any strapping tape and screws and corner brackets all get covered with duct tape well..

And now I?ll finish up in my 3rd closet (roommates, so I usually don?t picture much from here) since his is closer to finished then mine? the above is where mine stops..

The shelving as I said, allows a Vicks under it. This is the kind of cool mist you want, impeller (not wick, with a fan blowing over it):

Which is modified by inserting 2 ? inch tubing..one for filling (stuff with a towel other times) and one which goes into the closet:

You can probably also see a cord running in there?that?s an ultrasonic fogger (found at pet stores and ebay and other places online):

http://www.mainlandmart.com/foggers.html

Which can be put on a timer. I?m still playing with timing on this..and it needs bigger diameter tubes, and no tubing for the input. But I have no drill as of now to modify it better and this works. By all means, improve upon this yourself. The other tube?goes into a piece of PVC cut into 4-1 foot long pieces attached back together into one with the fittings pictured below. You could use straps to attach it to the wall, but I didn?t want to go back to home depot so I just duct taped the hell out of it (some strapping tape too).

Each of those outputs puts out a humid breeze on your cheek, and visible mist when the fogger is on. Hoses could be run off of these and into the shelves installed..which is these (doors removed):

And rope lights (go with white, the blue aren?t nearly as bright) attached?a 12 footer on the bottom one?a 6 footer on the top one:

No flash and dark?just light from the ropelight:

I guess that?s about it?throw the shelves in the closet:

And your good to go. You can fit as many or as few shelves as you can, however you can..in your own closet. You can use rope lights, clamp lights (compact flouros best), flouro lights, or any combo to cover light everywhere. You want less wattage, for less heat, so flouros work the best. Don?t worry so much about getting blue lighting (though a blue bulb doesn?t hurt), which light of any sort, especially flouros, contain plenty of blues. You may still need to mist, but you can just leave the closet door open and have the tarp be the door so the cool mist can pull air from out of the closet, in the bottom and blow it in the chamber. Then if someone comes over, you can close the door quickly and easily and your shrooms will have plenty of air exchange within them.

I?m still not done with these closets, I?ll be putting the fans back in (a fan in each, just circulating air, not an intake or exhaust) to remove co2 pockets and keep humidity even around the closet, and upgrading the tubing and the whole seal job. I?m going to need to play with timers for humidifiers too. Each setup is going to be different, so don?t ask how exactly to set yours up. It will depend on the size of the chamber, ambient humidity and exact brands of humidifiers used ect on how timers will need to be set up. This is just a basic guide to help you out so you can learn some things I learned from my first closets..

All pics that aren?t up now, will be up in 24 hours when I can upload more..

More stuff to come soon probably.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Edited by scatmanrav (04/08/05 09:02 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePhotoguy
Drunk andJobless

Loc: Drunk in Texas
Re: Turning a closet, into a fruiting chamber (stealth) [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4025039 - 04/07/05 05:47 AM (19 years, 13 days ago)

That is one hell of a stealth project you have going. Thanks for the info and thanks for letting certain people know that you got skills!

--------------------
You gotta check yo' self before you wreck yo' self

B, Z, F, Burma, Cambodian, Golden Teacher, Puerto Rico, South American, Costa Rica, African

My name is Ender Wiggen and I will own you soon. Bean is my second in command, he is PC'ing jars right now.

Offlinekraj
Stranger
Re: Turning a closet, into a fruiting chamber (stealth) [Re: Photoguy]
    #4026780 - 04/07/05 02:45 PM (19 years, 13 days ago)

When i used rope lights i was lazy and tacked them up with duct tape. Even on a 12/12 cycle they get EXTREMELY hot. Ended up melting the tape and causing the lights to fall. Definitely a fire danger. I was lucky.

Invisibletahoe
Noob Slayer
Male User Gallery

Loc: N38.93829W119.98108
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Turning a closet, into a fruiting chamber (stealth) [Re: kraj]
    #4026800 - 04/07/05 02:50 PM (19 years, 13 days ago)

skills yes, you and i have never disagreed on that. Stealth, not anymore :wink:

--------------------
Stop experimenting half way through your first grow. Grow it to maturity, watch it, learn from it. Do this a few times then experiment with different ideas and figure out what works best for you.

My Legacy
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/22140987#22140987

Teh=The
I need to proofread

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Turning a closet, into a fruiting chamber (stealth) [Re: tahoe]
    #4030113 - 04/08/05 09:08 AM (19 years, 12 days ago)

When i used rope lights i was lazy and tacked them up with duct tape. Even on a 12/12 cycle they get EXTREMELY hot. Ended up melting the tape and causing the lights to fall. Definitely a fire danger. I was lucky.
---------------------------------------------------

Very odd...I've been running rope lights for a few flushes now (wanted to make sure this all would work before I set on it) and they turned out pretty damn well...after 12 hours being on, its only maybe 3-4 degrees hotter in each section right below the lights, and the lights are still cool to the touch. Perhaps the duct tape didnt sllow air to circulate, kept it in and that was your problem? They come with mounting clips, though not enough..I just bought a extra package for the other attachments.

I uploaded the rest of the pics, so there it is for anyone curious about any of the steps..

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

OfflineSHROOMpimp
719 Colorado 719
Male User Gallery

Loc: Between the turntables...
    #4030221 - 04/08/05 09:57 AM (19 years, 12 days ago)

that's so cool makes me wanna slap a hoe! :pimpslap:  keep up the good work!!!

SHROOMpimp

--------------------
:safesex: Just My $0.02... :safesex:

Offlinethremix
Big Spender

Loc: Temple of Boom
Re: Turning a closet, into a fruiting chamber (stealth) [Re: SHROOMpimp]
    #4281167 - 06/10/05 07:11 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

--------------------
http://www.gainesvilleps.org/

Dale Carnegie, once said that he never needed to know any thing about any thing because he knew EVERY thing. Any time he didn't know some thing, he asked, he asked his team, his friends, And most important he asked the person that would know the answer.

Edited by thremix (07/02/05 04:05 PM)

OfflineWronguy
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Turning a closet, into a fruiting chamber (stealth) [Re: thremix]
    #4281196 - 06/10/05 07:27 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Very nice writeup indeed Scatman. I can see a lot of people benefiting from that type of setup.

Five shrooms for you my friend.  :grin:

OfflineWronguy
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Turning a closet, into a fruiting chamber (stealth) [Re: Wronguy]
    #4281200 - 06/10/05 07:30 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I guess I can only rate you one time Scatman. Just know that I gave you five shrooms in your mind.  :wink:

InvisibleLouiseLouise
starstruck
Male User Gallery

Loc: Searching w/my good eye c...
Re: Turning a closet, into a fruiting chamber (stealth) [Re: Wronguy]
    #4281345 - 06/10/05 08:12 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

yeah, i was just goin' there. If I haven't rated scatmanrav 5 4 u bro. That tech really gets my wheels turning :thumbup:

Ya'll both got some nice projects goin.

:smirk:

--------------------
"That's why you get in close to them, and then take the picture!! Don't be a pussy!" ~CC

OfflineKaptKid
Spaced Pirate
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bright Side of the Sun
    #4281677 - 06/10/05 09:34 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Thats past FarOut. Very Cool.
:mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2:
Guess next you will be coming out of the closet.This could be applied to a bed room.

Keep on keeping on.

:sun:

--------------------
Child of the 60's, Tripping ever since.

:sun:

InvisibleThumpaCap
Beer Taster

Loc: Shroomwhere Out There
Re: Turning a closet, into a fruiting chamber (stealth) [Re: KaptKid]
    #4282053 - 06/10/05 11:15 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

yeah that is pretty darn cool.!!  and you sure can grow some monsters !..  :headbang:

--------------------
:bongload: Look into my heyes !! :bongload:

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Turning a closet, into a fruiting chamber (stealth) [Re: thremix]
    #4282121 - 06/10/05 11:40 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

thremix said:
Please don?t think I am just being dumb, but what is it all that for? What?s the use for it?
I am new. I would just like to know it looks really good I might do that to my closet.

The use for it, is a enclosed area that will hold in humidity, while allowing for fresh air exchange. I could say more, but you just have alot more reading to do. The purpose of this would come to you. But pictures speak a thousand words...

This is for....

This is not for the beginner though....if you cant figure it out..your not meant to. Check out PMP (poor mans pod) and Martha Stewert Closet using the search function on the forum. Two excellent fruiting chambers, a little less extreame.

--------------------

InvisibleMrMaddHatter
Dementia praecox
 User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere
    #4282129 - 06/10/05 11:43 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

:smirk: show off  :grin:

Very impressive.

Quote:

This is not for the beginner though....if you cant figure it out..your not meant to.

I totally agree.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Turning a closet, into a fruiting chamber (stealth) [Re: MrMaddHatter]
    #4282151 - 06/10/05 11:53 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I am, I know....but my god, I just want to tell everyone...but there are very few people who know besides the shroomery...cant go showing all my friends here, so I have to show al my friends...here :smirk:

--------------------

Offlinemushroommark
Earning mybluethumb

#4282155 - 06/10/05 11:54 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I feel you on that scat.

I put all this time and energy working on "stuff", then when everyone asks what I do all day I say.... uh, homework and halo2

LOL

Mark

EDIT:  Loving those new pics a couple post up ^^^^^^^^^ :smile:

Edited by mushroommark (06/10/05 11:57 PM)

OfflineCLUTCH
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Turning a closet, into a fruiting chamber (stealth) [Re: mushroommark]
    #4282336 - 06/11/05 01:26 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Yes, this is an excellent post.

Where do you put your clothes...lol

Good job scatmanrav

OfflineHumptyWasPushed
Forgetful
    #4289599 - 06/13/05 12:01 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Dude, just wanna say that set-up inspired me and now I have no place for my clothes(used up my whole walk-in heh).

Great man.

OfflineBlue Helix
bold hand
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Turning a closet, into a fruiting chamber (stealth) [Re: HumptyWasPushed]
    #4289690 - 06/13/05 12:38 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

scatmanrav, that's beautiful! Thanks for sharing!

Offlinecaptmueller
chemical shaman
Re: Turning a closet, into a fruiting chamber (stealth) [Re: Blue Helix]
    #4290035 - 06/13/05 02:24 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

very...impressive!
namaste,
captmueller

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds