Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
OfflineOldWoodSpecter
waiting
Male

Loc: mountains and lakes
Re: Emotions are not so good? [Re: gettinjiggywithit]
    #4280758 - 06/10/05 04:47 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

and why are you so against chemistry?

--------------------
I descend upon your earth from the skies
I command your very souls you unbelievers
Bring before me what is mine

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblegettinjiggywithit
jiggy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Heart of Laughter
    #4280812 - 06/10/05 04:59 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

That last question is important to ponder. I have a few more if you acknowledge that emotions, our ability to feel in a meaningful way exists. Why did evolution give us this ability?

Snakes don't have it. It is there for a purpose. It is what gives meaning and a reason to move in life. It is what breathes life into existence. An emotionally depressed person has no reason to get out of bed in the morning and can barely function.

An emotionally charged person has lots of reason to get up and functions with a lot of action. Emotionally charged people find a lot of meaning and fulfillment in life. They usually exhibit a lot of Vibrance as well.

Trying to sweep this aspect of the human being/biology under the rug isn't the answer to dealing with not so good feelings or life. They are what makes life what it is and moves it into being what it is.

Sure, you can come up with arguments where peoples emotions moved them into killing others. On the flip side, they have also moved them into saving the lives of others. You can argue they can generate destructive behavior. They also generate constructive behavior.

It's because of them we are not just instinct program lumps of biological flesh like the snake. With them, we have intuition which allows for us to override our instincts and make other choices which results in why have have accomplished what we have beyond the snake.

They are not lower forms of consciousness at all. Being in tune with them through intuition is how we access the highest forms of consciousness and evolutionary progress.

I am often surprised at the lack of attention our emotional beingness gets in this forum. We are not evolving out of them. We are evolving out of being simple instinctual creatures and further into our complexity of emotions and into being intuitive creatures.

The mental intellect has just been along for the ride as a processor and translator for cognition and meaningful association to take place.

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

OfflineOldWoodSpecter
waiting
Male

#4280868 - 06/10/05 05:15 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

what does any of this have to do with emotions not being chemical?
And you still haven't answered why does it make a difference to you?

and as for animals. They do have emotions. That is what makes them survive. If a deer is not scared by a hunter, it will get shot.

An emotionless man can persue pleasure just as an emotional man can.
Not every motivation is emotional. Eating, experiencing images, sounds, collecting information, curriosity, motivation to grow. All those are not emotional motivations and they can give purpuse to life

--------------------

jiggy
Female User Gallery

Re: Emotions are not so good? [Re: OldWoodSpecter]
    #4281218 - 06/10/05 07:40 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

you brought chemical reactions into the discussion and topic question "Emotions are not so good?"

It doesn't make a difference to me, you brought them up. Without chemical reactions, I would not feel emotional energy. You wanted to break emotions down to chemical reactions without YET, identifying what naturally causes the reaction.

I know animals have emotions and some are further along evolved with them then others. The snake is pretty low on the scale. Elephants are pretty high. They have demonstrated the ability to know when another elephant is stuck in the mud and gather around to pull at its trunk with theirs and push from behind to get it out. they cry when one in the herd dies. They stay with it for days in mourning then leave.

A snake would not do that for another snake.

Animals came into this as a lessor evolved creatures then humans as they are still primarily moved by instinctual programmed emotional reactions to threats, hunger, procreate yada yada.

Humans are better able to override instinctive reaction with intuitive response. We aren't fully there yet but are getting better with it.

I brought the animals in related to my comment that we are not evolving out of our emotional beingness but are better evolving into using it to over ride primitive instincts.

Your last paragraph made zero sense;

An emotionless man? that would be a robot or a corpse.

If pleasure is not a feeling then what is it?

I eat when I "feel" hungry.
I feel sound waves, the best was sonic boom we had here in Tampa last month when some pilots broke the barrier to close to land. Deaf people even can, we can't help but feel them.
Give me the reason for why you collect information and there will be a motivating emotion there or the motivation is to experience an emotion from the collection of the information.
Curiosity is emotion based. Curiosity is aroused in us when we don't like the "feeling" of not knowing something.
When I experience images, I am feeling inspiration. Granted, some do when using external chemical stimulation. What moved them to take the drug? They had a feeling/desire to use them.

Wood, I don't know where you are anymore thinking emotionless people and movement exists. The idea is so ridiculous to me, it's a waste of my time to discuss it seriously. That's where I concede and pull out of this.

To continue on your line of thought, we will have to move into fantasy land. You will have to create a new form of human hypothetically first. I can play in hypotheticals, but humans as they are, are emotional beings. Even serve autistics have emotional outbursts. The question was, are emotions a good thing?

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

OfflineOldWoodSpecter
waiting
Male

#4281244 - 06/10/05 07:47 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

feelings and emotions are not the same thing

feelings are a specific experiences, like pain, curriosity, love, hunger, urges, wishes etc.

Emotions are a subsection of feelings. Emotions are short term reactions to events like suprize, joy, fear etc.

curriosity is only linked with emotions if the knowledge brings happyness or suprize. But sometimes you are not happy about knowledge, you just feel good to have it, as food feels good

It seems to me that you call every experience and feeling an emotion.
Emotions are just a small group of feelings

It seems pointless to discuss this further because you are using a compleatly different vocabulary than I am. So please, let's stop this

--------------------

jiggy
Female User Gallery

#4281348 - 06/10/05 08:13 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

You can stop any time you want to. If you post stuff, expect replies to it. This topic interests me related to actual human beings.

You mentioned ONE feeling that I agree is not always experienced as an emotion and that is physical pain. That is related to what we sense with our physical touch nerve sensors. I can feel that sand papper is rough with my finger and have no emotional feeling that goes along with it.

Hunger pangs are related to sensory touch nerves, I think. When I experience hunger pains, that is not an emotion, tis true. I can hunger for excitement, attention, love and that sort of hunger is emotional.

The type of feeling that we experience with physical touch nerves is not emotional feeling.

Being curious is not related to physical touch nerves. A wishful state of being is not related to physical touch nerves. A loving state of being is not related to physical touch nerves. An urge to paint my walls purple is not related to physical touch nerves. Emotional pain ie loss, is not related to touch nerves.

Any feeling we experience not related to physical touch nerves is of an emotional nature.

If you want to end the discussion then stop making posts for people to reply too. If you reply about actual human beings and the existance of feelings, we are back in the real world and expect a possible reply to it from me. If you say things like being wishful is not an emotional state of being, then expect a reply.  :wink:

I have been using the dictionary definition of the word emotion all along.

e?mo?tion    ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (-mshn)
n.
A mental state that arises spontaneously rather than through conscious effort and is often accompanied by physiological changes; a feeling: the emotions of joy, sorrow, reverence, hate, and love.
A state of mental agitation or disturbance: spoke unsteadily in a voice that betrayed his emotion. See Synonyms at feeling.
The part of the consciousness that involves feeling; sensibility: ?The very essence of literature is the war between emotion and intellect? (Isaac Bashevis Singer).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[French ?motion, from Old French, from esmovoir, to excite, from Vulgar Latin *exmovre : Latin ex-, ex- + Latin movre, to move; see meu- in Indo-European Roots.]

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

OfflineOldWoodSpecter
waiting
Male

#4281356 - 06/10/05 08:15 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

ok, then I'll stop mayself

--------------------

jiggy
Female User Gallery

#4281370 - 06/10/05 08:18 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

:lol: okay then, I will too. :kiss:

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom