Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineLeimana
Lunatic

Loc: By the Tum-Tum tree, in u...
Pan Cyan jars have colonized, now what?
    #4280352 - 06/10/05 02:26 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

About 2 months ago, I tried to make 4 liquid cultures using the Karo Tek, one each of Huautla, Orrisa India, African Transkei, and Pan Cyan. They all failed with the possible exception of the Orrisa, but the jury is still out. Frustrated, I mixed up some store bought steer manure with some shredded cardboard and inoculated with the same syringes to see if it was the syringe, my sterile technique or what.

To my surprise, the Huautla, which produced no recognizable mycelium in liquid culture, started to grow, but VERY slowly and VERY rhizomorphically (the mycelium looks like roots).

The African, which produced green mold in liquid culture, produced green mold in in multispore. At least it gave me an answer quickly. It turned green in under three days.

The Pan cyan, which did absolutely nothing in liquid culture, took off aggressively, and now, at almost a month, are fully colonized. Here are the pictures as of 3 days ago (Ok, maybe six days ago, or maybe I need to check the date on my camera!):

So what is the best way to handle these? I have two pint jars. Should I gently press them into a container and lightly case? Wrap the jars and top case as in bottle culture? I really want to get some prints off of these.

Thanks,

Leimana

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

Re: Pan Cyan jars have colonized, now what? [Re: Leimana]
    #4280375 - 06/10/05 02:30 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Those look contam-ed as FUCK! lol.

That or just really fluffy myc. growth :shrug:

I've read the pan.s have really weak myc., so that looks really strange to see them like that...hmm..Anyways...

I'd break em up nicely, then case them and do a casing layer like you said...

They're sensitive as Fuck to co2, so make sure they get plently of air!

Good luck man, always wanted pans...:( lol

-Gnostic

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #4280376 - 06/10/05 02:31 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

If it were me, I would not trust the steer manure to be good to fruit off of, as store bought stuff usually isnt. I'd spawn them to some field collected (or online bought that was field collected) horse manure, cow manure, or buffalo manure..to be more assured of success. Even with proper substrate often people fail at fruiting point.

Eitherway, use a spoon to break them up and case in a container...VERY lightly clover with peat/verm/buffer casing mix, you only want 1/4" or less casing material. Give them PLENTY of fresh air (need constant fresh air unlike cubies). You may also want to cold shock for 24-48 hours when its time to fruit. I've had good results so far doing so, but havnt done enough experimenting to see if it benefited me or not.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

Re: Pan Cyan jars have colonized, now what? [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4280393 - 06/10/05 02:35 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Totally forgot it was store bought :doh: !

I agree with Scat, Def. get some h/poo to spawn to...Steer manure...lol

:thumbup:

-Gnostic

Invisiblemyndreach
philosopher
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Pan Cyan jars have colonized, now what? [Re: IGnosticAbhorI]
    #4280419 - 06/10/05 02:42 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

what are those red dots on the righthand jar?

what is that large brown spot on the lefthand jar?

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Pan Cyan jars have colonized, now what? [Re: myndreach]
    #4280455 - 06/10/05 02:51 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

By the way, that looks like normal Pan Cyan mycelium....it looks like the jar on the left has a small spot uncolonized (the big black spot). The rest of the spots are just the poo showing through the mycelium. Of course I'm not looking in real life...but from those pics it looks fine (except the one not 100% like I said).

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

OfflineLeimana
Lunatic

Re: Pan Cyan jars have colonized, now what? [Re: IGnosticAbhorI]
    #4283472 - 06/11/05 01:06 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Those look contam-ed as FUCK! lol.

Well, if I hadn't seen them grow, I might think so too, as I have never seen Pan cyan mycelium before. But, if it were cobweb, it would have completely colonized in three days, not three weeks.

Leimana

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #4283525 - 06/11/05 01:21 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Ouch...just so you know...next time go with grains. Pan Cyans colonize and fruit and grow quicker then cubies.

I still do believe it looks like Pan Cyan mycelium...and I've seen about 4 dozen jars of it by now.

--------------------

OfflineLeimana
Lunatic

#4283530 - 06/11/05 01:23 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

myndreach said:
what are those red dots on the righthand jar?

what is that large brown spot on the lefthand jar?

Quote:

scatmanrav said:
By the way, that looks like normal Pan Cyan mycelium....it looks like the jar on the left has a small spot uncolonized (the big black spot). The rest of the spots are just the poo showing through the mycelium. Of course I'm not looking in real life...but from those pics it looks fine (except the one not 100% like I said).

Scat has the right of it. When this photo was taken the jar on the left was about 98-99% colonized except for the spot on the leading bottom edge of the jar. The jar on the right was like 99.9% colonized. All of the other spots are just substrate pressed up against the glass.

My experiences with field collected horse manure have so far been uninspiring. I have been unable to get anything to colonize it, not even contaminations. Until such time as I have any indication that there will be a hope for success (I do keep trying) I am disinclined to spawn these to a bulk substrate.

The concensus does seem to be to crumble and case. We shall see what comes of this.

Thanks for the input.

Leimana

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #4283735 - 06/11/05 02:40 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Are you using weathered and aged horse manure? IS it soil like or dry? Smell? How do you prepare it?

--------------------

OfflineLeimana
Lunatic

#4295275 - 06/14/05 03:25 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

scatmanrav said:
Are you using weathered and aged horse manure? IS it soil like or dry? Smell? How do you prepare it?

My horse manure is field collected by me from a friends pasture. It is dry (or as dry as it is going to get. It rains a lot around these parts!), I avoid the fresh stuff and looks like balls and lumps of dry grass. It smells like earth.

I have used Agar's Poo Tek and Roadkill's. As I am having a problem getting the moisture just right, I am using Roadkill's Tek more, now, so I can try different straining/draining techniques and materials until I can find something that does not leave the manure too moist.

Leimana

OfflineShdwstr
FSRCanada
Male

Loc: Ontario, Canada
    #4296430 - 06/14/05 07:19 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Squeeze the water out of the poo by hand.
When you can only get a couple drops out... it's perfect :laugh:

OfflineKalix
'Head

Re: Pan Cyan jars have colonized, now what? [Re: Shdwstr]
    #4296470 - 06/14/05 07:32 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

In The Mushroom Cultivator by Stamets he says =<5,000 ppm co2 for Pan Cyan, and Psil Cubensis..

--------------------

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: The Shotgun of Sweet Reason

OfflineShdwstr
FSRCanada
Male

Re: Pan Cyan jars have colonized, now what? [Re: Kalix]
    #4296511 - 06/14/05 07:44 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

That refers to Air Exchange... not Moisture content :smile:

OfflineLeimana
Lunatic

#4296596 - 06/14/05 08:07 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Shdwstr said:
Squeeze the water out of the poo by hand.
When you can only get a couple drops out... it's perfect :laugh:

I have tried mashing it dry in a colander, but that left it way too wet.

I have tried wringing it dry in a pillowcase.  That works better, but the fines in the manure tend to decrease the porosity of the pillow case very quickly, making it hard, if not impossible, to squeeze the water out.  Also, wringing out large quantities of manure at a time will allow more water to be retained inside the mass of the substrate.

I then switched to using window screen.  That works much better, as the fines cannot block the larger openings in the fabric, but more water is still held inside when you are trying to squeeze dry large quantities.

I have done hand wringing, and this works well except I am not sure I am exerting enough pressure, and the pressure is uneven, leaving some drier and some damper areas in each handful.

What seems to work best for me (my most recent experiment) is to use window screen to wring out smaller quantities of substrate, maybe two handfuls at a time.  The combination of a more open straining fabric, more even pressure from twist-wringing the substrate in a fabric, and smaller quantities to prevent excess water from "hiding" in the interior of the substrate mass, seems to yield a substrate with a much better feel and consistency.  This is also faster than hand wringing each handful and seems to get a better result.

Time will tell if this really helps any, though.

Leimana

OfflineKalix
'Head

#4296880 - 06/14/05 09:19 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Shdwstr said:
That refers to Air Exchange... not Moisture content :smile:

Gnostic Said:They're sensitive as Fuck to co2, so make sure they get plently of air!

I was responding to that :wink:

--------------------

OfflineShdwstr
FSRCanada
Male

#4297248 - 06/14/05 10:37 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Just makin' sure :smile:

OfflineShdwstr
FSRCanada
Male

#4297320 - 06/14/05 10:50 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Leimana said:
I have tried wringing it dry in a pillowcase.  That works better, but the fines in the manure tend to decrease the porosity of the pillow case very quickly, making it hard, if not impossible, to squeeze the water out. 
Leimana

When doing large quantities 1 - 3 pillowcases :smile: a neat method if you have access to an automatic washing machine is to let your pillow cases drain till they stop dripping, then run them through the spin cycle of your washer for about 15 - 20 seconds. Not too long though you need some moisture :wink:
And... don't forget to do a rinse cyle on your washer afterwards to clean it up  :tongue:

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #4298395 - 06/15/05 08:22 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Kalix said:
In The Mushroom Cultivator by Stamets he says =<5,000 ppm co2 for Pan Cyan, and Psil Cubensis..

And it has since been relized that cubensis are more heartier then that, and only need to be fanned one or two times a day to get pins, causing the levels to be much higher then 5,000 ppm. Remember Stamets is talking optimal conditions for both species...my cubies and Pans were grown in the SAME environment, with the SAME air exchange. The reason I say Pans require more though, is most people dont have the levels down that low at all, most barly fan their cubies...and they arent getting optimal, but they'll get mushrooms.

Pan Cyans are different, if your co2 levels arent low, you just wont get anything.

--------------------

OfflineKalix
'Head

#4299923 - 06/15/05 02:58 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

scatmanrav said:
Quote:

Kalix said:

And it has since been relized that cubensis are more heartier then that, and only need to be fanned one or two times a day to get pins, causing the levels to be much higher then 5,000 ppm. Remember Stamets is talking optimal conditions for both species...my cubies and Pans were grown in the SAME environment, with the SAME air exchange. The reason I say Pans require more though, is most people dont have the levels down that low at all, most barly fan their cubies...and they arent getting optimal, but they'll get mushrooms.

Pan Cyans are different, if your co2 levels arent low, you just wont get anything.

Now that smacks true for me.. I get fruits off my Cubie casings. and I only air them once a day, by putting them on a windowsill for an hour or two, while I fan out the fruiting chamber..

I have a coolmist, but I'm not gonna bother hooking it up until I start my pans.

Edit: As an emxperiment, I think I'll try fruiting a tray of Pans with my cubies, with a limited air exchange, and see how that works out..

--------------------

Edited by Kalix (06/15/05 03:00 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract