Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Your brain on drugs
    #4276466 - 06/09/05 03:00 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

What I truly get a kick out of, is the many posts here that declare a certain experience on a certain drug is indicative of the "true" nature of reality.

Is a drunk truly sexier?

Is a coke-fiend really more powerful?

Is the paranoia experienced while stoned revelatory that the world is truly out to get you?

Does datura show which of your friends are demonically possessed?

Does ketamine put one in touch with the Galactic Controllers?

Does this sound silly?

Yet so many proclaim that a brain ramped up on hallucinogens show the light and the way.

Psychedelics are pretty unique in that that play with serotonin levels and receptors which results in the crossing and heightening of senses; a sort of dreaming while awake, and a sense of profundity. The linking of strong emotion to the experience seemingly gives it more weight. However, being "blown away" is ONLY indicative of the strangeness of the experience; not the validity.

*Swami turns shields on full in preparation for the heretical backlash*

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Edited by Swami (06/09/05 03:23 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleVeritas
 User Gallery
Re: Your brain on drugs [Re: Swami]
    #4276480 - 06/09/05 03:03 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

What I truly get a kick out of, is the many posts here that declare a certain experience off drugs is indicative of the "true" nature of reality.

Edited by Veritas (06/09/05 04:53 PM)

Invisibleuriahchase
Skinny White Boy
Male User Gallery

Loc: SoCal
    #4276481 - 06/09/05 03:04 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

TRUE.

--------------------
Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are -Kurt Cobain

Hotter than the left sink handle.

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #4276484 - 06/09/05 03:05 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Well I agree with you.  Psychedelics don't show you the true nature of reality. They may shake up your assurance that you can ever know what the true nature of reality is. :mushroom2:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Offlinefreddurgan
Techgnostic
Male

#4276491 - 06/09/05 03:06 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

It does sound kind of silly. People say those things because they experience those things. They experience something that, and this is the key part here, to them, seems more like true reality. And if you experience it AND believe it, then you have a powerful moment.

--------------------
Ishmael
http://www.ishmael.org

Ron Paul 2008!
http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

OfflineOldWoodSpecter
waiting
Male

Loc: mountains and lakes
    #4276532 - 06/09/05 03:20 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

:thumbup: :thumbup:

the phrase: "I exeprienced it in a trip" is the shroomery-version of "It says so in the bible"

--------------------
I descend upon your earth from the skies
I command your very souls you unbelievers
Bring before me what is mine

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

some simple analogies oblique to inebriation [Re: Swami]
    #4276720 - 06/09/05 04:18 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

trying to look at self while being self requires a kind of loopback or reflection.

to see your face you can use a mirror or a photograph.
to see your mind you can use meditation or halucinogen.

the existence of light reflecting on the mirror or on the photograph is not enough, the viewer must be interested in the process of reflection.

so, in part, you are right. If someone is just sitting back waiting to win insight, without the slightest interest, then all the meditation and all the halucinogen will be just so many boken mirrors and tossed photos.

if it is just about inebriation, then nothing will be seen of value, but if it is about glimpses of our constitutions then really the opportunity has been taken.

--------------------
:confused: _ :brainfart:🧠  _ :finger:

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Rabbit Hole
    #4276810 - 06/09/05 04:43 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

What I truly get a kick out of, is the many posts here that declare a certain experience on a certain drug is indicative of the "true" nature of reality.

What really gets me is when every couple of months someone claims that they are able to perform telekinesis while on hallucinogens... emphasis HALLUCINOGENS!

Duh!  :rolleyes:

--------------------
Republican Values:

1) You can't get married to your spouse who is the same sex as you.
2) You can't have an abortion no matter how much you don't want a child.
3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

4) We need a smaller, less-intrusive government.

Offlinecrunchytoast
oppositional

Loc: aporia
Re: Your brain on drugs [Re: Diploid]
    #4277429 - 06/09/05 07:22 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

i'm of similar mind as rgv

i'd say there are two good things about drugs

one- drugs are one way of showing a different perspective. this is good if you want to understand somthing better. noticing things you didn't notice before is one example.

two- many drugs break down the "ego". breakdown not just ego loss. it can make you aware of feelings you didn't realize you had for example.

alcohol: some people get really depressed on alcohol 'ah my life sucks etc'; some people dote on their friends 'i love you guys'. alcohol lowers inhibitions which (depending on how you define it) is a kind of ego breakdown. you can treat the alcohol experience as showing you a different side to yourself- not many people do though.

example: a person gets wasted and starts crying, then the next day reflects on how they acted. starts to work to change things in their life. changes the things and is happier.

in my experience, most people in this place usually let themselves fall deeper into their hole before getting serious about fixing anything. the alcohol experience could have been a catalyst in any of these situations if they had let it.

psychedelics are different for some reason. lots of people let psychedelics "show the way" and interpret right away. it's part of the etheogenic subculture. i'd argue the difference is just a kind of cultural bias.

--------------------
"consensus on the nature of equilibrium is usually established by periodic conflict." -henry kissinger

Edited by crunchytoast (06/09/05 07:25 PM)

OfflineTheCow
Stranger

#4277450 - 06/09/05 07:27 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Swami said:

Is a drunk truly sexier?

Is a coke-fiend really more powerful?

Is the paranoia experienced while stoned revelatory that the world is truly out to get you?

Does datura show which of your friends are demonically possessed?

Does ketamine put one in touch with the Galactic Controllers?

Does this sound silly?

Yet so many proclaim that a brain ramped up on hallucinogens show the light and the way.

Psychedelics are pretty unique in that that play with serotonin levels and receptors which results in the crossing and heightening of senses; a sort of dreaming while awake, and a sense of profundity. The linking of strong emotion to the experience seemingly gives it more weight. However, being "blown away" is ONLY indicative of the strangeness of the experience; not the validity.

*Swami turns shields on full in preparation for the heretical backlash*

No no Swami you dont get it, we are all beings made of light, that operate on the 49th wavelength of matter. Just ask my intoxicated self Ive figured it out. Hey doesnt quantum say something or other about vibrations..strings...hmmmmm, must I spell it out for you people! And nevermind that photons have no mass, that is only because we operate on such a high wavelength, that the mass isnt detectable by our basic methods. Much like how a square pulse wave is merely just an infinite sum of sin's and cosines. If someone were to look at the wave, they would proclaim that it is a square, voltage on, voltage off, but that is wrong people. We have not the technology yet to measure our mass(energy).

OfflineTheCow
Stranger

Re: Your brain on drugs [Re: TheCow]
    #4277476 - 06/09/05 07:35 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Realistically though, Richard Feynman claimed to have mapped his brain out while tripping.

InvisibleMushmanTheManic
Stranger

Re: Your brain on drugs [Re: Veritas]
    #4277677 - 06/09/05 08:33 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Veritas said:
What I truly get a kick out of, is the many posts here that declare a certain experience off drugs is indicative of the "true" nature of reality.

Quote:

Icelander said:
Well I agree with you.  Psychedelics don't show you the true nature of reality. They may shake up your assurance that you can ever know what the true nature of reality is. :mushroom2:

:thumbup:

Offlinechevron
spiralling

Loc: UK
    #4277801 - 06/09/05 09:04 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I quote from my blog on another site (written to a very different audience, but i kind of like it anyway)

"
So imagine this peeps:

Imagine if you could experience reality from loads of different people's perspectives, you could basically "be" any number of different people and take the memory of your experience with you.

So you would have a decent memory of how many different people's perceptions and perspectives differ.

You'd then be able to compare how each 'mind' perceived the world, what each 'mind' believed in and why, and by collating this information you would be able to build up a better understanding of the nature of reality and our perceptions.

Perhaps think of a picture representing "reality", but the picture is covered in a grid of black squares. As a single person experiencing only our own perceptions, only one of the squares is revealed. If we were able to experience and assimilate many different people's viewpoints, more of the black squares would be removed and one would have a slightly better idea of the picture behind.

If it is ever possible to view a complete picture of "reality" is unlikely, but if we were able to "be" lots of different people, the collation of these experiences may give us (slightly) clearer idea.

-------

Unfortunately we cannot directly experience any person's 'mind' but our own, so what was the point of all this?

Well, if you believe in this sort of thing, you might want to try telepathic techniques and 'remote viewing' skills - there are many guides on the internet on how to do these techniques. Personally I'm not sure it IS possible, and if it is I expect it would require a LOT of practice and motivation. But it might (to a degree) be able to show you life from other people's perspectives.

There is a second-best option though, which instead of viewing life from other people's perspective, involves altering and changing your OWN mind's consciousness. There are certain chemicals that can STRONGLY alter the brain's chemistry and vastly distort how your own mind perceives the world around you. They can give you access to levels of conciousness and perception you couldn't have even imagined beforehand, and what's more, you will be able to remember these experiences.

Then you will be able to take a step back and compare your experiences from before, during, and after the shifts in consciousness. By repeating this experiment, perhaps with different chemicals, your memory will start to assimilate a fair amount of different perceptions and levels of consciousness that your brain has gone through.

And slowly but surely, you can remove a fair amount of black squares from the picture of reality.

Still, perhaps what you will discover will only be a meaningless fraction. But it is surely worth trying.
"

--------------------
I am merely a parody.

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
    #4278206 - 06/09/05 11:36 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

You should experience the power of my brain. I think the strangest thoughts without the help of any drugs whatsoever.

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

OfflineDoctorJ
Male

Loc: space
    #4278238 - 06/09/05 11:47 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

drugs are more real because they are more fun. for me anyways. screw reality. there I said it. so nyah.

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
    #4278401 - 06/10/05 01:01 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

The true nature of reality is pointless to discuss as we only see a small slice of it no matter what our mental state.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

InvisibleTHE KRAT BARON
one-eyed willie
    #4278412 - 06/10/05 01:04 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

a

--------------------
m00nshine is currently vacationing in Maui. Rumor has it he got rolled by drunken natives and is currently prostituting himself in order to pay for airfare back to the mainland but he's having trouble juggling a hairon addiction. He won't be back for a long while.

Edited by matt (08/31/07 05:51 PM)

Offlinefreddurgan
Techgnostic
Male

Re: Your brain on drugs [Re: TheCow]
    #4278553 - 06/10/05 02:15 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

TheCow said:
Realistically though, Richard Feynman claimed to have mapped his brain out while tripping.

Did Richard Feynman smoke pot AND do psychedelics?

What a straight up 100% hardcore to the bone BADASS.

Man..I'm just energized hearing that.

--------------------
Ishmael
http://www.ishmael.org

Ron Paul 2008!
http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

Invisibleraytrace
Stranger

Re: Your brain on drugs [Re: Diploid]
    #4278812 - 06/10/05 04:41 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

they are able to perform telekinesis while on hallucinogens... emphasis HALLUCINOGENS!

I have nothing to say about telekinisis (i am not taking a position on the topic), but your emphasis doesn't mean a thing really. Hallucinogens is just a word someone made up like psychedelics or entheogens. It neither adds nor takes away anything

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: Your brain on drugs [Re: raytrace]
    #4278820 - 06/10/05 04:48 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

raytrace said:
I have nothing to say about telekinisis (i am not taking a position on the topic), but your emphasis doesn't mean a thing really. Hallucinogens is just a word someone made up like psychedelics or entheogens. It neither adds nor takes away anything

The fact that one is under the influence of a substance that is chemically proven to have a great probability of creating the experience of hallucinations, and that one then experiences an ability (telekinesis) that has never been evidenced or demonstrated by anyone in a state of mind not under the influence of this hallucinogenic substance naturally leads to the conclusion that it is very likely that the performance of this ability was, quite simply, a hallucination. :lol:

"Did you see that?! That man just killed that lady! He's a murderer!"

"Now, now, the term "murderer" is just a word someone made up, and it does not add or take away from anything." :wtf: :smirk:

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :satansmoking:
Peace. :mushroom2:

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order