Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
Please prove me wrong
    #4278340 - 06/10/05 02:31 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

My observation: Assholes (or whatever you want to call people who lie, cheat and steal) are the norm, good people (who don't lie, cheat and steal) are the exception.

This thread could also be entitled, "Have your opinions on the human race become jaded?"

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleLe_Canard
Danger Man

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
Re: Please prove me wrong [Re: Frog]
    #4278353 - 06/10/05 02:37 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Hmmm....good question. There sure seems to be an abundance of assholes in the world doesn't there? But I couldn't tell you if that's the "norm". My only suggestion is to counter this by going out of your way NOT to be one. It works for me... :laugh:

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Re: Please prove me wrong [Re: Le_Canard]
    #4278380 - 06/10/05 02:51 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

It seems to me that the motivating factor is money. I wonder why? Why are people so motivated to do what they do over money?

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

Invisibleflowstone
blustering

Loc: precious
    #4278424 - 06/10/05 03:11 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

We are all assholes. To say one is and another is not is broken. Though people can go longer without committing such deeds(lie, cheat, steal) we all chose once and it was the wrong choice.
And now we are here and some people are pretending. They are trying to make up for their past lies with more honesty. They try all the time to overcome jealousy and urges to cheat with feelings of content.
It is my theory that if you surround yourself with people who try for a higher spiritual 'goodness' you will see more and more that there are in-fact more good people than bad.
It's almost a joke really, to think society can be split into two sides.

--------------------
these long agonizing months without you...have been long and agonizing..
"War Doesn't Decide Who's Right... It Only Decides Who's Left."

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
    #4278430 - 06/10/05 03:14 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

All good people have some negative properties. Most bad people have redeeming properties.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

InvisibleLe_Canard
Danger Man

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
    #4278631 - 06/10/05 04:37 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Frog said:
It seems to me that the motivating factor is money. I wonder why? Why are people so motivated to do what they do over money?

Who knows? I think it's greed and maybe something to do with ego. I.E "I have more stuff than you and therefore I'm better than you". If you read about the very wealthy men of the past (J.P. Morgan, Henry Ford, etc) they were all pretty much unprincipled bastards....

Quote:

flowstone said:
We are all assholes. To say one is and another is not is broken. Though people can go longer without committing such deeds(lie, cheat, steal) we all chose once and it was the wrong choice.
And now we are here and some people are pretending. They are trying to make up for their past lies with more honesty. They try all the time to overcome jealousy and urges to cheat with feelings of content.
It is my theory that if you surround yourself with people who try for a higher spiritual 'goodness' you will see more and more that there are in-fact more good people than bad.

True, to an extent. However one can overcome one's "assholish" side. There really are good decent people out there, just as there are total jerks. Some people actually enjoy being assholes. I've met a few.....

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #4278843 - 06/10/05 07:05 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

It seems to me that the motivating factor is money. I wonder why? Why are people so motivated to do what they do over money.

You are close, but scratch a bit deeper. The motivating factor is desire. Money is simply a means to an end. For example...

I am unhappy. I see my neighbor with a brand new car and he looks very happy. I see him every day with a smile on his face washing his nice new car while I have to drive this old hunk of rust in to work every morning. If I had a new car, I bet I would be happy to. I would get all the cicks, and people would like me, and ...

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

#4278896 - 06/10/05 08:19 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

this issue, in which you are both right and wrong, relates to sangsara, and to compassion.

to awaken compassion you have to see that all beings are suffering and therefore inclined to the way of the asshole.

InvisibleTooStonedToType
The Real One
Loc: Colorado
Re: Please prove me wrong [Re: redgreenvines]
    #4278900 - 06/10/05 08:27 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

"Money is simply a means to an end."

Lately I've seen many who view money as the end. They have no desire except to acquire just more money.

--------------------
...and as if from the inception of time itself I realized I was and had been for sometime, elsewhere, elsewhen or somehow, quite seriously, otherwise...

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #4278975 - 06/10/05 09:25 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Everyone has skillfull and unskillfull ways of dealing with life. Also each person would define lying, cheating, and stealing, differently. By my defination you might fit into a catagory that you would not choose for yourself. No one is perfect frog.

If you look for something good in a person you just might find it. If you look for evil you will eventually find that too. The universe/god contains all things in polarity, light to dark.

Mostly its about balance. Many people may be out of balance. :heart: :mushroom2:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

InvisibleLunarEclipse
Mr. Dogma Free
 User Gallery

Loc: The Hand
    #4278991 - 06/10/05 09:36 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

My Observation about Your Observation:  Frog lives in LA, the land of the most materialistic, money and power grubbing people (excluding DC for the power portion) in the world.  She is an attorney.

Frog thinks people are assholes. 

What you see is what you get, honey!

My solution:

Move to Santa Barbara where the people are mostly rich retired assholes from LA that can relax a little.  Set up your lawyer office there and grow a few avocadoes and grapes.  Eat guacamole and chips and drink some of that homemade wine. 

Ahhh.... :cheers:

--------------------
Anxiety is what you make it.

Edited by LunarEclipse (06/10/05 09:41 AM)

OfflineDoom
Rogue

Loc: ghost-train city
    #4279858 - 06/10/05 02:10 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Frog said:
My observation: Assholes (or whatever you want to call people who lie, cheat and steal) are the norm, good people (who don't lie, cheat and steal) are the exception.

This thread could also be entitled, "Have your opinions on the human race become jaded?"

every country has a different culture, how many countries have you lived in? ive lived in 5 and my answer is NO.

OfflineDoom
Rogue

Loc: ghost-train city
Re: Please prove me wrong [Re: LunarEclipse]
    #4279901 - 06/10/05 02:20 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

LunarEclipse said:
Move to Santa Barbara where the people are mostly rich retired assholes from LA that can relax a little.  Set up your lawyer office there and grow a few avocadoes and grapes.  Eat guacamole and chips and drink some of that homemade wine. 

Ahhh.... :cheers:

ahh...look at me,  a  fat capitalist piglit. Tast this shit wine I made, smell the mediocrity.

OfflineLiveByFreedom
Catalyst
 User Gallery

Loc: Mountains
Re: Please prove me wrong [Re: Doom]
    #4280250 - 06/10/05 03:58 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Oh man, i just gotta post these pictures:

http://www.unnet.net/events/flyers/1861-1.jpg
http://www.unnet.net/events/flyers/1861-2.jpg

Do you or someone you know suffer from being JADED?!

--------------------
"Everything is not as it seems." Eye

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
    #4280392 - 06/10/05 04:35 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

I know plenty of people who've lied, cheated, or stolen at some point in their life who I wouldn't consider to be assholes. They're just imperfect, like everyone.

--------------------

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Re: Please prove me wrong [Re: flowstone]
    #4282021 - 06/11/05 01:05 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

flowstone said:
We are all assholes. To say one is and another is not is broken.

I agree that we can all be assholes. I am not exception. Except in this case, I am talking about assholes being those who lie, cheat and steal.

Quote:

Though people can go longer without committing such deeds(lie, cheat, steal) we all chose once and it was the wrong choice.

I am finding that those who try for a higher spiritual goodness are far and few between.

--------------------

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Re: Please prove me wrong [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #4282043 - 06/11/05 01:12 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Huehuecoyotl said:
All good people have some negative properties. Most bad people have redeeming properties.

Before I respond to your post, what do you mean by "bad people"? A guy who rapes women and/or children probably has redeeming properties.

--------------------

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Re: Please prove me wrong [Re: Seuss]
    #4282056 - 06/11/05 01:17 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Seuss said:
Quote:

It seems to me that the motivating factor is money. I wonder why? Why are people so motivated to do what they do over money.

You are close, but scratch a bit deeper. The motivating factor is desire. Money is simply a means to an end. For example...

I am unhappy. I see my neighbor with a brand new car and he looks very happy. I see him every day with a smile on his face washing his nice new car while I have to drive this old hunk of rust in to work every morning. If I had a new car, I bet I would be happy to. I would get all the cicks, and people would like me, and ...

I agree, then, that the desire motivates the need to obtain money. But in my world, money doesn't matter. Additionally, I don't desire to have a car like my neighbor's car.

Now I have to contradict myself, to a degree. I need to have a nice car in order to appear to be successful. I think this is different from wanting a nice car simply because I desire to be as happy as my neighbor appears to be.

Did I miss your message??

--------------------

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Re: Please prove me wrong [Re: redgreenvines]
    #4282066 - 06/11/05 01:19 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

redgreenvines said:

this issue, in which you are both right and wrong, relates to sangsara, and to compassion.

to awaken compassion you have to see that all beings are suffering and therefore inclined to the way of the asshole.

First, I admit that I don't know waht sangsara is. Second, how is it that by being awakened to sufferin, you would be inclined to the way of the asshole??

--------------------

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Re: Please prove me wrong [Re: TooStonedToType]
    #4282072 - 06/11/05 01:23 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

TooStonedToType said:
"Money is simply a means to an end."

Lately I've seen many who view money as the end. They have no desire except to acquire just more money.

Emerson says that if we just do the thing we are meant to be here to do, meaning exercise our talents, money will follow.

Most people take jobs just to make money.

I think that if we exert ourselves in an area where we are talented, as Emerson says, and I believe he is right, the money will take care of itself.

I think most people live out of fear. I think fear limits us. We actually achieve less because of fear than we would have achieved if we hadn't been afraid.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology