Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblezee_werp
a fractalcreature
 User Gallery

Loc: Aotearoa
Some semi-interesting shrooms (NZ)
    #4275053 - 06/09/05 06:58 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Hey all,
A couple of days ago a friend of mine showed me some shroom specimens. They were collected in Bluff, New Zealand, which is way the fuck down south southernmost town in NZ. This person has picked a lot I mean a lot of psilocybe shrooms before, including mainly subaeruginosa and scemilanceata. He wanted to show these to me because he thinks he is sure that they aren't subaeruginosa or scemilanceata, and thinks they might be something else.

-Habitat: Rough, exposed southern pastureland with a few small shrubs here and there. Found growing out of grass, near the small shrubs (probably used for shelter, and perhaps substrate). Psilocybe scemilanceata grow in the same paddoc.
-Climate: Its pretty cold here now, dropping to -2 to -3 C at night, up to a maximum of 10 C during the day. Rain here and there. Typical late autumn / early winter weather.
-Spore print: Your typical psilocybe browney purple. Definitley a psilocybe species.

I'll let the pics describe the rest. To me they resemble Ps. subaeruginosa, except there are a few obvious differences from the ones we normally find. Firstly the stem is a distinctly different texture. Much stringier than a normal sub. Fiborous. And also the fact that the caps never open up beyond the dome / conical shape, unlike most subs (there is one in the pics that looks flatter, but thats just because of the way it was tilted, it was actually dome shaped). The dude has found these shrooms for a few years and he says these traits are the norm. The other thing is the habitat is different to the usual subaeruginosa zones, although I realise that subs are a very versatile shroom. So anyway I took some pics and soon I'm gonna have a look at the spores under the microscope to get a better idea of what they might be.

Middle aged specimen:

Cut in half:

A more mature specimen:

Cut in half:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleLouiseLouise
starstruck
Male User Gallery

Loc: Searching w/my good eye c...
Trusted Identifier
Re: Some semi-interesting shrooms (NZ) [Re: zee_werp]
    #4276540 - 06/09/05 03:22 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

yeah, those are interesting, I can't help with id.
It apears to be bruising on the stem, but I expected the cut area to be blue.
Nice pics, thanks for sharing.

--------------------
"That's why you get in close to them, and then take the picture!! Don't be a pussy!" ~CC

Invisiblezee_werp
a fractalcreature
 User Gallery

Re: Some semi-interesting shrooms (NZ) [Re: LouiseLouise]
    #4277177 - 06/09/05 06:07 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

There was definitley blue bruising on these shrooms, it just doesn't show up in the pics that well. Not only that but these shrooms had been picked and then it was quite a few hours before I saw them. So the bluing had faded a little. I'm 100% sure that they are an active psilocybe species though, they have been bioassayed.

Invisiblekarode13Facebook
Tāne Mahuta
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: LV-426
Trusted Identifier
    #4277436 - 06/09/05 07:24 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I was just looking at your pics and compared them to a picture in a NZ book called Edible and poisonous mushrooms.They look similar to Psilocybe crobula(Hairy stemmed Psilocybe).I am not 100% sure but thought I'd tell you anyways.

--------------------

Offlinehaunted
 User Gallery

Re: Some semi-interesting shrooms (NZ) [Re: karode13]
    #4278237 - 06/09/05 11:47 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Ah! finally I get to see some pictures of these! I have heard much about them.

I personally guessed (when first told about them) that they might be Ps. fimetaria or subfimetaria. Remember how we theorised that the Ps. semilanceata came over from Europe with the grass seed for pasture? Well I assume that Ps. fimetaria spores could have come the same way. They fit the description and the habitat seems right... but I can't be sure...

You definately need to check these mushrooms out under a microscope to unlock their secrets :grin:

Thanks for the post!

Offlinehaunted
 User Gallery

Re: Some semi-interesting shrooms (NZ) [Re: haunted]
    #4278244 - 06/09/05 11:49 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

p.s. I have found similar mushrooms to these growing just north of Dunedin in coastal pasture. I just assumed then that they were mutant Ps. semilanceata, but now I can't be sure. They were definately very potent.

Oh yeah, any evidence of a veil on them?

Offlinehaunted
 User Gallery

#4278283 - 06/10/05 12:11 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Thinking about it some more, another possibility could be Ps. strictipes... I don't know much about this one except that its pretty widespread in Europe, grows in grass (and so could probably have transported with grass seed), and has been called "Ps. semilanceata var. caerulescens"

Perhaps a more likely contender?

here is a pic of it i found on a website:

simliar, no?

Invisiblezee_werp
a fractalcreature
 User Gallery

#4278306 - 06/10/05 12:19 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Good suggestions. I'm quite perplexed really. In appearance they really seem like a blend of subaeruginosa and scemilanceata (though I am NOT suggesting that they are a hybrid, lol). Potency is definitley closer to the sub end of things, with 4-6 shrooms being an average dose, 10 being deemed as too much by some.

They had evidence of a veil as in a little spore coloured ring around the stem, but no physical structure of one like you'd see on a cube. I'm thinking they had a wispy veil. Check the one to the right in the gill shot of the middle-aged specimen.

I will try to get these under the digicam microscope in a week or two when I'm not so busy with exams.

Invisiblespores
haploid
 User Gallery

Loc: Washington
    #4278992 - 06/10/05 07:37 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

cool find

I don't think they're fimetaria, I've collected what I believe to be p. fimetaria here a few times and they have a thick veil that leaves a persistant blue and/or purple tinged ring around the stem when it breaks.

p. liniformans might be a guess too, though they don't look like the one pic I've seen of that species.  let us know what they look like under the scope :wink:

DH

Offlinehaunted
 User Gallery

Re: Some semi-interesting shrooms (NZ) [Re: spores]
    #4281706 - 06/10/05 09:41 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

yeah that's why i asked about the veil.

is that a pic then of fimetaria or liniformans? do you know anything about the latter species?

I'm gunning for strictipes. It seems more likely IMO.

I'm surprised this hasn't had a bigger reaction. I'd call it a very interesting find! :thumbup:

Its always good adding more species to the list of local shrooms. Now if only we could figure out the unidentified bluing dung-lover I found! I'm going with Pan subbalteatus for that one though :smile:

Invisiblezee_werp
a fractalcreature
 User Gallery

#4282109 - 06/10/05 11:35 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

If any of these shrooms you guys suggested have caps that open out to flat then its unlikely to be those. Even the old specimens of these are dome or even cone shaped. Like libertys, but big. Those ones in DH's pic look too opened up for these ones.

Offlinehaunted
 User Gallery

#4282545 - 06/11/05 04:03 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

yeah that's why i was gunning for strictipes cause they were first classed as a variation on semilanceata, common in europe (esp. UK, where our grass seed came from), cap doesn't flatten. wellll I've seen dome-ish caps. heres some more pics of them to show

But then again I have found flat-capped semilanceata before... just depends on the conditions i spose

Does anyone else have any more information about this species (psilocybe strictipes, also been called psilocybe callosa)? It'd be helpfull to get micro features and stuff...

Edited by haunted (06/11/05 04:11 AM)

Offlineeye4shrooms
Stranger
 User Gallery

#7021935 - 06/08/07 05:34 AM (16 years, 9 months ago)

interesting very interesting yet another unknown variety from New Zealands south island.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder