Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinecb9fl
Senior ChildMolestationExpert
Loc: florida
Having solved all other problems ...
    #4277719 - 06/09/05 10:46 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

http://www.9news.com/acm_news.aspx?OSGNA...47-c589c01ca7bf

Quote:

OLDSMAR, Fla. - Beginning this fall Pinellas County Sheriff's Deputies will be pulling over teen drivers who haven't broken any traffic laws.

As part of a new program, deputies will be pulling over teens for safe driving and rewarding them with free movie theater and movie rental certificates.

Uniformed deputies driving unmarked cars will follow the drivers and give out the certificates.

"Deputies will follow them for a short distance, down a thoroughfare and we will watch their driving," said Sgt. Glenn Luben, Pinellas County Sheriff's Office. "Once we identify a good safe driver, we attempt to follow them to their house or open shopping area."

Some parents think it's a great idea to reward teens for safe, responsible driving. However, while most agree the reward is nice, some parents are concerned about this method of identifying safe drivers.

"I'd be concerned whether they'd think it's a real police officer pulling them over," says Jennifer Zeitler, parent of a teen driver. "It's scary for parents too. There's so many kidnappings and other things going on; I'd be concerned for my child."

The program was started by an Oldsmar, Fla. man whose son was killed in an accident involving a teen driver. After the program begins this fall, there is a possibility it will spread to other communities.

--------------------
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide

"Generosity is nothing else than a craze to possess. All which I abandon, all which I give, I enjoy in a higher manner through the fact that I give it away. To give is to enjoy possessively the object which one gives."

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
Re: Having solved all other problems ... [Re: cb9fl]
    #4277891 - 06/09/05 11:37 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

yay!

cops can stop teenage drivers arbitrarily for driving safely!!!!!

that's a great guise for totalitarianism.

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

Invisiblebukkake
LEFT WING NUT
Male

Loc: Classified
    #4278066 - 06/10/05 12:46 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

The program was started by an Oldsmar, Fla. man whose son was killed in an accident involving a teen driver.

How about if I'm the victim of a hit-and-run at the hands of a black man. Does that mean I can begin following African Americans around? You know, make sure they don't mess up?

Offlinefreddurgan
Techgnostic
Male

Re: Having solved all other problems ... [Re: bukkake]
    #4278578 - 06/10/05 04:22 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Yeah, see, what hurts about this is that I honestly think they are trying to be nice. I mean...yeah, free movie tickets, that's sweet. But would I want this? Hell no. For some reason I don't like the idea of them following around even the safe drivers..or wasting their time on us safe drivers when they could be looking for unsafe drivers instead.

I dunno..this is a wierd story really.

--------------------
Ishmael
http://www.ishmael.org

Ron Paul 2008!
http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

OfflineTao
Village Genius

Loc: San Diego
Re: Having solved all other problems ... [Re: afoaf]
    #4278808 - 06/10/05 06:35 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

I'll give you a free movie ticket if I can have a look in your trunk.

--------------------
Magash's Grain Tek  + Tub-in-Tub Incubator + Magash's PMP + SBP Tek + Dunking = Practically all a newbie grower needs :thumbup:

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Having solved all other problems ... [Re: Tao]
    #4278834 - 06/10/05 06:56 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

> I'd be concerned whether they'd think it's a real police officer pulling them over

That was my first thought when I read this. Stupid, stupid program... somebody is going to get killed if they keep it up. Why not simply send out their 'rewards' to all teenage drivers (they have a database with names, ages, and addresses) that haven't gotten a ticket in the last year. Oh wait, we need our police following teenagers to see where they live rather than having our police out catching murders and rapists. Glad our tax money is being put to good use.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
Re: Having solved all other problems ... [Re: Tao]
    #4278837 - 06/10/05 07:01 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Tao said:
I'll give you a free movie ticket if I can have a look in your trunk.

I think you are right on the money. This program is a euphemism for trying to catch kids with dime bags and beer.

Offlinecb9fl
Senior ChildMolestationExpert
Loc: florida
Re: Having solved all other problems ... [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #4278917 - 06/10/05 08:41 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

And a blatant waste of our tax dollars. Police cars don't run of happy thoughts and daisy flowers.

--------------------
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide

"Generosity is nothing else than a craze to possess. All which I abandon, all which I give, I enjoy in a higher manner through the fact that I give it away. To give is to enjoy possessively the object which one gives."

Offlinefreddurgan
Techgnostic
Male

#4281006 - 06/10/05 08:00 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Yeah. They should just MAIL this shit. Don't chase the kids down. This spells "bad call" all over.

--------------------
Ishmael
http://www.ishmael.org

Ron Paul 2008!
http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

OfflineEkstaza
stranger thanmost
 User Gallery

Loc: Around the corner
Re: Having solved all other problems ... [Re: freddurgan]
    #4281022 - 06/10/05 08:08 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

I can so see some pedophile rapist cashing in on this as a way to get young girls to pull over.

The idea stinks.

--------------------
YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH ANY GIVEN DRUG ISN'T THE DEFINITIVE MEASURE OF THE DRUGS EFFECTS.

OfflineAnisotropic
Stranger
    #4281051 - 06/10/05 08:20 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

This is just an excuse to stop and drug probe ALL teens. (At there expence, just like people have been saying, this will just give nut jobs ideas on how to rape little girls.)

Piggy says, "Well you see, I was going to pull him over for being a good driver when I smelled the marijuana."

This phrase will be heard ALOT in court. Now you don't have to be driving badly to get pulled over if you're in our target drug demographic. How convenient.

Edited by Anisotropic (06/10/05 08:21 PM)

OfflineMrBump
Third prize is you're fired
 User Gallery

Loc: Where Art Meets Crime
    #4287015 - 06/12/05 03:50 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

"Deputies will follow them for a short distance, down a thoroughfare and we will watch their driving," said Sgt. Glenn Luben, Pinellas County Sheriff's Office. "Once we identify a good safe driver, we attempt to follow them to their house or open shopping area."

OK, so cops will pick out random teens they see driving and follow them for short distances....if you're a good, safe driver you receive movie tickets. But what if you roll thru a stop sign? wont you get pulled over and ticketed (and possibly searched?)

I'd like to see some documentation on what the ratio of free movie tickets issued to moving violoation tickets issued by police who expressly follow this protocol.

Anastropic: Piggy says, "Well you see, I was going to pull him over for being a good driver when I smelled the marijuana."

This phrase will be heard ALOT in court. Now you don't have to be driving badly to get pulled over if you're in our target drug demographic. How convenient.

this scenario will eventually play out in Pennelas County, FLA, if it hasnt already. It will be interesting to see what case law will arise out of this. I cant really think of a similar situation where a law enforcement offical detains someone for PRAISE/ Congratualations and then discovers unlawful activity.

--------------------
If it weren't for the bloody corpses, I wouldn't have any corpses at all.

There are two ways to get to the top of an oak tree: start climbing or sit on an acorn.

Are you a carrot, an egg, or a coffee bean?

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion