Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Rye Grain, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblemorninggloryseed
old hand
Male User Gallery

Loc: Earth
Possible Bacteria Issues With WBS and Rye Quart Jars (Pics Included)
    #4277689 - 06/09/05 10:37 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Quart jars...one is rye and one is millet.  What is going on here?  Mycelium waste or bacteria issues?

I've now cultured and fruited some three dozen brown rice flour 1/2 pint jars...some were fruited direct and others cased...all a complete success.  I'd say I nearly mastered the technique

Next logical step for me was to try colonizing the fungus on grain in larger jars.

The rye jar seemed perfect at first...definitely not too wet or too dry (made both mistakes so I have learned the hard way about correct moisture levels.)  Jar colonized fast.  I shook it when inoculated, at three days, and when it looked 40% colonized.  Three days ago it looked nearly finished, save for some grains on the bottom.  I gave it one last shake and put it back in the incubator.  Three days later (today) it looks like the above.  Small puddle of yellowish liquid soaking the bottom grains.

Unlike a confirmed bacteria contamination I experienced before...the grains are (not yet) slimy and decomposing.

As for the WBS jar, it was way too compacted when I inoculated it...but decided to do so anyway in the name of science.  So I know why it stalled, but was wondering if it looks like (to you experts :wink: ) bacteria issues, or mycelium waste.  Same with the rye jar.  I should add that neither jar smells like socks, alcohol, or anything else usually associated with bacteria issues.

Any feedback is appreciated and will result in significant good Karma being applied to ones' record!  :smile:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
old hand
Male User Gallery

Re: Possible Bacteria Issues With WBS and Rye Quart Jars (Pics Included) [Re: morninggloryseed]
    #4278331 - 06/10/05 02:27 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Here are some more pics.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
 User Gallery

Loc: USA Mountain Northwest
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Possible Bacteria Issues With WBS and Rye Quart Jars (Pics Included) [Re: morninggloryseed]
    #4280280 - 06/10/05 04:06 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Bacillus. Bummer.

Grains should be incubated at room temperature. Bacteria and molds are favored at higher than 80F.

A leading cause of bacillus in grain jars is a wet filter. You don't show the top of your jar, but if the filter material is in a position to get wet with grain juice when you shake, that is the likely culprit. A wet filter, especially if it's wet from grain juice will colonize with bacteria all the way through. Your filter needs to stay bone dry at all times. Be sure to use the metal lid first with only two or three 1/16" holes drilled in it so when you shake, the grain beats against the metal lid and can't get through the very small holes. Put the filter on the outside of the lid, then screw the metal ring over that. This method keeps your filter dry.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
 User Gallery

Loc: USA Mountain Northwest
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Possible Bacteria Issues With WBS and Rye Quart Jars (Pics Included) [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #4280290 - 06/10/05 04:08 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

I should have added, I prefer to only shake once. Allow your grain to colonize until it's just about half way or a bit less. A bicycle wheel and tire makes an excellent thing to beat your jar against to break up the kernels. After that, leave it alone until it finishes.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

old hand
Male User Gallery

Re: Possible Bacteria Issues With WBS and Rye Quart Jars (Pics Included) [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #4281979 - 06/11/05 12:54 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

A million thanks!

I think a wet lid may be the culprit! I use tyvek and nothing else. Will be using the lid now with the ring and tyvek.

As for incubating at lower temperatures...really? I mean it makes sense with all the threads I see about letting mycelium overtake bacteria infections in cooler temperaturs. But I've not until just now seen anyone else recommend this.

ANyone else have any feedback to add?

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Rye Grain, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum