Home | Community | Message Board

SoulSpeciosa Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Drug-free summertime fun
    #4274527 - 06/09/05 03:21 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

http://www.press-citizen.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050608/NEWS01/506080308/1079

Drug-free summertime fun
Event pairs students, authorities to prevent substance abuse
Wednesday, June 8, 2005

About 900 seventh- and eighth-graders at Northwest Junior High School spent their last day of school Tuesday playing "water ball" and softball and eating hamburgers at S.T. Morrison Park in Coralville.

Serving up the fun, and the burgers, were members of the Coralville police and fire departments. While the police officers, wearing themed T-shirts, grilled and distributed burgers, firefighters brought out the hoses on a hot and humid day for a game of "water ball."

Teachers, meanwhile, played softball against the students while a DJ played R&B singer Ciara's "My Goodies" and other students danced on stage.

"The event is to get (students) off to a good start for the summer," said police officer Meleah Droll, 26, the event's coordinator.

Droll said the event began 15 years ago after Detective Steve Bird and Sgt. Bill Searls found students from Northwest selling LSD at the park.

"We want to show kids that they can have fun without drugs or alcohol," Droll said.

Droll said the event gives children a positive perception of authority figures, such as police officers.

"We want to show kids that we're not all about busting people," she said.

For their part, the police officers, firefighters and teachers blended in with the crowd of students and residents who stopped by.

Zyleyma Gonzalez, 12, a Northwest seventh-grader, enjoyed the freedom that the event offered.

"You get to hang out with friends all day, eat food, and there are no teachers around to tell you what to do," she said.

Sitting with her on the bench were two friends from Northwest. Alla Hassanein, 13, said the event was "so cool," and Barshen Hapahake, 13, said, "you even get to wear hats."

There was a variety of activities for students. The Coralville Aquatic Center was free to students who wanted a swim. Softball, tennis and other games were played. The game that drew the biggest crowd, however, was the "water ball" game firefighters facilitated.

"This is probably the most popular event," said Orey Schwitzer,

assistant chief of fire prevention.

The game is a traditional firefighter's game, where two teams attempt to hose a bucket toward the opposing side to win.

"The water (ball) game is my favorite," said 13-year-old Graham Tierney, who was on his way to wait in line.

Droll, Schwitzer and Northwest Principal Gregg Schoultz said the event was positive because it proved to children that having fun didn't need to involve drugs or alcohol.

"The community is very supportive of this," Droll said. "I hope it is something that will continue."

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineEkstaza
stranger thanmost
 User Gallery

Loc: Around the corner
Re: Drug-free summertime fun [Re: Anno]
    #4280861 - 06/10/05 07:13 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

You also don't need hamburgers and hotdogs to have fun, but they are still nice to have if you so desire.

I don't think that kids that young should be experienting with psychedelics yet, but the message is flawed slightly.

--------------------
YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH ANY GIVEN DRUG ISN'T THE DEFINITIVE MEASURE OF THE DRUGS EFFECTS.

Invisiblechodamunky
Cheers!

Loc: sailing the seas of chees...
    #4280963 - 06/10/05 07:46 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Droll said the event began 15 years ago after Detective Steve Bird and Sgt. Bill Searls found students from Northwest selling LSD at the park.

So what this is saying is that LSD is responsible for starting this annual event..

"We want to show kids that we're not all about busting people," she said.

not all about busting people, but mostly about busting people.

For their part, the police officers, firefighters and teachers blended in with the crowd of students and residents who stopped by.

maybe they thought if they go undercover they can bust some 8th grader selling pot at this event haha. that would be hilarious.

"You get to hang out with friends all day, eat food, and there are no teachers around to tell you what to do," she said.

damn, now this kid knows what life is supposed to be about.  :thumbup:

Sitting with her on the bench were two friends from Northwest. Alla Hassanein, 13, said the event was "so cool," and Barshen Hapahake, 13, said, "you even get to wear hats."

Hats! fucking school, i remember we couldn't wear hats anywhere on school property. now this is enjoyed as a 'freedom',  pfff..

well it's nice the kids had fun without drugs, but I'm in the boat that certain drugs can very much enhance your life. when these kids grow up to young adults they will still probably try drugs. It's not a matter of having fun without drugs because some sort of drug use is inevitable, it's a matter of using drugs responslby IMO.

InvisibleHolydiver
Stranger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The midnight sea
    #4281011 - 06/10/05 08:03 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Anno said:
Droll said the event gives children a positive perception of authority figures, such as police officers.

Oops, big mistake there.

--------------------
To find a place to live between the negatives and positives.

Offlinecb9fl
Senior ChildMolestationExpert
Loc: florida
    #4281597 - 06/10/05 11:12 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

If they had altruistic intentions in doing the above then I applaud their efforts. There's nothing wrong with learning to have fun without drugs. Becoming dependent on drugs to have fun is something I think most people on this board feel is bad.

Of course since this happened in the States I have to believe their was an ulterior motive.

--------------------
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide

"Generosity is nothing else than a craze to possess. All which I abandon, all which I give, I enjoy in a higher manner through the fact that I give it away. To give is to enjoy possessively the object which one gives."

Offlinerocknliam
happy willowdweller
 User Gallery

Re: Drug-free summertime fun [Re: cb9fl]
    #4285601 - 06/12/05 04:25 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

"you even get to wear hats."

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
    #4286231 - 06/12/05 12:17 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

If indeed it is just an event to have fun with kids without them doing drugs, it's a good idea. Kids need more activities to do and events to bond with other people, both their age and older.

Though if it's just one long DARE party where they're told fallacies and myths by the police officers, that would ruin it in mine eyes.

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service