Home | Community | Message Board

Phytoextractum
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinebent
bent1

Loc: ny
Double Tub Incubation Question about Air Exchange.
    #4274153 - 06/09/05 01:02 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

I have not yet cut the holes for air circulation in my double tub it is currently incubating. Is air exchange needed during incubation? The double tub are the smaller size ones, if no holes are needed I'm just going to do holes up high and very low on the tub that I will place on top after incubation is done. I'm not sure if they need air or not, right now the lids are on but just resting atop, not sealed tight. Also what is a good size for the holes, some pics I have seen the holes only 1" some I've seen like 3" holes.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleRoadkill
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Snoqualmie, Wa.
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Double Tub Incubation Question about Air Exchange. [Re: bent]
    #4274164 - 06/09/05 01:06 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

your using your double tub for an incubator right now?

if that is the case...no you don't need to cut holes in it yet.

wait til after your jars are colonized.

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

Offlinemushroommark
Earning mybluethumb

Re: Double Tub Incubation Question about Air Exchange. [Re: bent]
    #4274744 - 06/09/05 04:55 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

During incubation you definately don't want any fresh air exchange. I keep the holes of my DT covered with duck tape during colonization of substrate and casing.

In the future (and since you will probably re-use the tub), I would recommend cutting the holes before spawning since it is so easy to cover them with duck tape. I say this because it can be a hassle to cut the holes when the tub is filled with colonized substrate, just avoiding contamination and what not.

Those plastic tubs can be a bitch to cut through. I use a exacto blade with a torch that gets the blade red hot first. Do it above the kitchen stove exhaust fan cause the plastic fumes are probably toxic.

Cutting the holes prior to spawning is just more convenient because of the difficulty cutting the plastic, but as long as your mindful of contams, you should be in good shape.

Quote:

if no holes are needed I'm just going to do holes up high and very low on the tub that I will place on top after incubation is done.

Oh, okay.... take back what I just said. That will work perfectly and you will avoid having to use duck tape during the colonization.

Just make sure the substrate goes up pretty high in the bottom tub. You want the bottom holes (e.g. the ones that are up high on the inverted tub) as close to the sub as possible. An inch or so between the substrate and the bottom holes should be fine though.

Sometimes my holes are 2 inches from the substrate but the tubs are big (64 L) and I have 2 fans going constantly aimed directly at the tubs.

Quote:

not sure if they need air or not, right now the lids are on but just resting atop, not sealed tight.

That sounds perfect. Enough for gas exchange but not full out fresh air exchange. I even snap the lids down on the tubs I use, but they definatley are not airtight.

Quote:

Also what is a good size for the holes, some pics I have seen the holes only 1" some I've seen like 3" holes.

I've had great luck with eight 1.25-inch diameter holes, just like in Eatualive's original post.

The tubs I use are 64 L, aprox 2.1 square feet of substrate.

I would recommend using 1-inch diameter holes, but take into consideration what size containers you are using.

Good luck, I've learned to love the DT method.:)

InvisibleYoungBuck
Solid Dude in Solitude
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Double Tub Incubation Question about Air Exchange. [Re: mushroommark]
    #4274866 - 06/09/05 06:05 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Hmm, I currently have a double tub incubating. It is in my TiT at 80 degrees but I have already cut the wholes and stuffed the polyfil in them. Do you think it will still colonize as long as I keep the other 2 pinning factors (light, temp drop) away?

--------------------
Who wants to live with one foot in hell just for the sake of nostalgia?  Our time is forever NOW!

2010 Southeast Gathering Thread

Offlinemushroommark
Earning mybluethumb

Re: Double Tub Incubation Question about Air Exchange. [Re: YoungBuck]
    #4274890 - 06/09/05 06:21 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Yeah, you should be in good shape, YB.

My first 6 double tubs or so I had the polyfil stuffed in the holes during substrate colonization.  I just think that the colonization time was longer as a result.

However, eatualive always said that he left the polyfil in during the entire substrate colonization and as well as the casing run.

If you have good results with the polyfil in ---- stick with it :smile:

However, I feel that it allowed too much fresh air exchange.

You should be okay at 80 F as well. 

But be careful if you have a combination of:

1. high substrate temps (thick substrates generate a bit of heat within themselves, leading to a substrate temp that is substantially higher than the ambient incubation room temperature)

2. overly wet substrate

You could very well get fermentation.  It's happened to me on 2 worm castings tubs as well as 2 h/poo grows.

But you'll probably be okay ---- I've incubated several tubs, including my most recent, in 80 F temps without a problem. 

Hope that helps

Mushymark

InvisibleYoungBuck
Solid Dude in Solitude
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Double Tub Incubation Question about Air Exchange. [Re: mushroommark]
    #4274911 - 06/09/05 06:51 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

This is my first attempt at using h/poo or the double tub tek and I didn't have much spawn so I made up 2 smaller containers (12x12x12). I could only fit one of the containers in the incubator at a time so I actually have one at room temperature too. The substrate depth of the one in the incubator is 3" and the other is approx. 1.25"-1.5". The poo is from Tenn. stud right out of the box so hopefully the water content is correct, I also added about 10% sterilized verm. to each container.

I'm assuming that less substrate = less heat so do you think it might be a good idea to move the container with less substrate to the incubator?

--------------------
Who wants to live with one foot in hell just for the sake of nostalgia?  Our time is forever NOW!

2010 Southeast Gathering Thread

Offlinemushroommark
Earning mybluethumb

Re: Double Tub Incubation Question about Air Exchange. [Re: YoungBuck]
    #4274930 - 06/09/05 07:11 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Yes... Those were my thoughts exactly. I would keep the thicker sub at room temp and then 1.25-1.5 inch sub in the incubator.

Tenn stud's water content should be right on the money. You should be in good shape.

You'll be LOVING those h/poo boomers. Especially the second flush bigguns.

Good luck

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation