Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineBrAiN
Art Fag
 User Gallery
Loc: Chocolate City
the gnitty gritty motions of chords (guitar)
    #4211606 - 05/23/05 07:39 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I've picked up my guitar for the first time in months.. i've played just on and off, not very regularly, for a few years...

I can pick like a madman... but my wrists/figners are weak, so I have a tough time with simple things like barre(sp?) chords.

So I'm going back to basics. I grabbed the tab for "Ball and Chain" by Social D. Three simple chords, but I have the toughest time with them.

Lets the the very first chord and just look at it: C

It's a C with the following tab:

EADGBE
X466XX

Simple enough. I've got my index finger layed across part of the 4th fret and my ring across the 6th fret so cover up the proper strings. For the purpose of this post, let's just forget the fact that I don't have enough strength in my fingers to really press down hard enough on the bars to make a really clean noise. I'm still working on that.

My real problem comes with muting the the proper strings. Do most people just get good enough at strumming that they can just strum back and forth with such accuracy tha they only hit the proper three strings, or do they have some sort of secret method of muting the strings.

Muting the low E isn't hard. I just stretch my index finger far enough to touch the E string to cause it to mute. The only finger i have left to mute the high B/E is my pinky. I don't know about most of you, but my pinky is hardly independent. I want to press as hard as I possibly can with my ring finger, but every time i slightly curl my pinky, my ring finger wants to bend, completely fuckign up my pinky. Should I practice trying to move my pinky independently from my ring finger.. or is this just an exercise in futility where I should just learn to strum with better accuracy, trying not to hit the muted strings?

-b

Edited by BrAiN (05/23/05 08:45 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineBrAiN
Art Fag
 User Gallery
Re: the gnitty gritty motions of chords (guitar) [Re: BrAiN]
    #4212725 - 05/24/05 12:02 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

;( ... ahhH! don't fuuurget bout lil ol' brain, ppl!

Offlinestefan
work in progress

Loc: The Netherlands
    #4213030 - 05/24/05 02:16 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

you should learn to grab 'powerchords' (this isn't a barre chord) like that not with your index and ring finger, but with index, ring AND pinky. So index on the 4th fret on the A string, ring on the 6th fret on the D string and your pinky on the 6th fret on the G string. You're muting what you need to mute with your index finger. (it's a C# (or Db) btw)
With a full C# (barre) chord with the root on the A string then you'll use your index and ring finger like you described and most likely the high e string will be muted by your ring finger.

good luck and keep practicing, it's soooo worth it :grin: :laugh: :sun:

OfflineBrAiN
Art Fag
 User Gallery
Re: the gnitty gritty motions of chords (guitar) [Re: stefan]
    #4215875 - 05/24/05 07:10 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks stefan, it helps. It kills the poor little flesh at the corner tip of my ring finger, but it works. Instead of pressing my index flat against the 4th fret, i'm just pressing down on the A string with the tip and letting the rest of my finger just rest on top of the other strings without pressing down.

I tired earlier using my ring finger to get that D string, but all three fingers ended up being exactly perpendicular to the neck which was causing me to open up the two high strings. I've sort of bent my figners at and angle now so this index finger sort of lays down on the strings now.

Now I have to get used to chaning chords like this (ie build up dem blisters... ooo yea)

OfflineBrAiN
Art Fag
 User Gallery
    #4272989 - 06/08/05 06:16 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

ok one more q on chords

Bm

looks like this

EADGBE

That final 2nd tab on the high E string... I always end up with the middle/fleshy part of the middle segment of my index finger trying to push this note down, which ends up muting the string...

anyone know any tricks I can use to really put the pressure on this string? My thumb is on the back of the neck... with my index sprawled behind my other figners... so I have no open finger to hit that high E

InvisibleautomanM
blasted chipmunk
 User Gallery

#4273101 - 06/08/05 06:59 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

make sure your thumb is in the middle of the back of the neck in a position that would be parallel with the nut (or perpindicular with the strings). that will give you counter pressure.

also, maybe take down the action a tad so the strings are closer tp the frets. a little bit goes a long way. i have my action set so low i can fret a note by just looking at it :wink:

--------------------
No, no, you're not thinking, you're just being logical. ~ Niels Bohr

OfflineBoneMan
Shrimpin ain't easy
Male

Loc: new new england
Re: the gnitty gritty motions of chords (guitar) [Re: automan]
    #4276257 - 06/09/05 01:58 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

about the barre chords.. you said the soft part of ur index finger just mutes the high E string.

instead of using the bottom side of the index finger, turn it a little bit and use the side of the finger. this puts your arm and wrist in a more natural position as well.
you want to be able to do these chords with as little tension in the upper parts of your arm as possible.

about the chords that only use 2 or 3 strings and the rest are muted.. with time and practice you'll get a feel for where each string is and your picking hand should be able to pick out the ones you need..

you have to mute other strings but its not complicated, theres no trick to it.. all you really have to do to mute a string is have some part of either hand or a finger touching the strings you want to mute.

practice practice practice and you'll be able to do all those things subconsiously. then you can actually start to have some fun.

OfflineBrAiN
Art Fag
 User Gallery
    #4281796 - 06/10/05 10:01 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

automan said:
make sure your thumb is in the middle of the back of the neck in a position that would be parallel with the nut (or perpindicular with the strings). that will give you counter pressure.

also, maybe take down the action a tad so the strings are closer tp the frets. a little bit goes a long way. i have my action set so low i can fret a note by just looking at it :wink:

how does one take down the strings? shave the top of the neck down?

InvisibleautomanM
blasted chipmunk
 User Gallery

#4282039 - 06/10/05 11:11 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

if it is electric, there are screws on each saddle (or thumb screws that hold up the bridge on a gibson style guitar). just lower them until they buzz, then raise 1/2 turn. of course there can be much more to it to make it play alot better, but that will do for now.

also, you can bring it to ohio for the gathering and i will set it up for free :smile:

--------------------
No, no, you're not thinking, you're just being logical. ~ Niels Bohr

Offlinefung_us_among_us
Male User Gallery

Loc: Central Oregon Flag
    #4282403 - 06/11/05 02:10 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

i thought the first chord for ball and chain was a G.

been playing a lot of social distortion recently. it's below my skill level but still lots of fun to play.

--------------------
:feelsgoodman::dancingshroom::dancingshroom::dancingshroom::ahahaha::dancingshroom::dancingshroom::dancingshroom::feelsgoodman:

Invisiblekake
The answer to1984 is 1776.
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The 66th harmonic
Re: the gnitty gritty motions of chords (guitar) [Re: fung_us_among_us]
    #4283032 - 06/11/05 10:19 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

i find finger/wrist strength to dramatically improve my playing ability.  it probably will improve yours as well.  those caluses (sp?) are important too :smile:  the tips of my fingers are rock hard, even my poor pinky.  but its a necessity if you're serious about playing.

back to hand strength, if i practice about an hour a day every day, within a couple weeks I notice the ability to hammer harder, faster, and with more complexity, and with ease, than I do after I take extended breaks from playing.  so, play every day and if you're getting bored of it, turn on your favorite guitar jams and practice your improv skills :smile:

--------------------
The answer to 1984 is 1776.

OfflineBrAiN
Art Fag
 User Gallery
Re: the gnitty gritty motions of chords (guitar) [Re: kake]
    #4322119 - 06/21/05 07:06 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Another random question on the gweeetAr... Is there anyways to void those squeaky noises that ade made when you slide your fingers across the strings?

Edited by BrAiN (06/21/05 07:08 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom