Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Paul Stamets, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineKalix
'Head

Gray mold questions
    #4272998 - 06/08/05 08:18 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

All the jars I did G2Gs on are gowing a weird grey mycelium, like dark grey.. The only thing that really matches the description of what I got in my jars is Humicola. Stamets claims that it is a beneficial mold to composted sub, unfortunately, my sub is WBS. I don't think that classifies as composted.

I will quote The Mushroom Cultivator:
"on grain Humicola grisea is most frequently seen; on horse manure/straw composts Humicola nigrescens is most commonly encountered. Humicola that occure during cropping does not seem to pose a serious threat to the overall crop.

Most species are mesophilic; some are thermophilic; and all are saprophytic. Humicola is not a problem contaminent."

I had one jar, that got this stuff, that the mycelium quickly overtook, and is all white and fluffy now.. The other four, are about 5 days younger, and have little to no signs of mycelial growth. Do you guys think I should just leave them as an experiment? Or should I toss them? Stamets also points out that Humicola is beneficial in that is converts ammonia to nitrogen, so maybe after its done its thing the mycelium will spring forth happily.. I'm not quite sure what to do about this.. Also, he says that it isn't the shade of grey that mine are, until it's already sporulating.. So I'm afraid to open them, due to the possibility of spreading unwanted spores..

Thoughts and/or comments anyone? And should this be in the contam forum? If so, feel free to move it RK :wink:

--------------------

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: The Shotgun of Sweet Reason

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleLouiseLouise
starstruck
Male User Gallery

Loc: Searching w/my good eye c...
Re: Gray mold questions [Re: Kalix]
    #4273072 - 06/08/05 08:49 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Personally, once the myc. stalls, Imma ditch it. Like the forward progress rule in football. Many beg to differ, but too much points toward mold spores being bad for resperatory. It's not worth it.

peace

--------------------
"That's why you get in close to them, and then take the picture!! Don't be a pussy!" ~CC

OfflineHotnuts
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Wild Blue Yawnder
Re: Gray mold questions [Re: Kalix]
    #4273075 - 06/08/05 08:51 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

That's a type of cobweb mold if i'm not mistaken. Simply allow the mushroom mycelium to try to over run these types of molds. They are very easily over run and killed once the substrate is birthed. Use a straight shot of H202 to kill the spores off once birthed. That's if the mushroom mycelium does indeed over run the mold.

Edited by hotnutz (06/08/05 08:53 PM)

OfflineKalix
'Head

Re: Gray mold questions [Re: Hotnuts]
    #4273189 - 06/08/05 09:22 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

That's my inclination..

--------------------

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: The Shotgun of Sweet Reason

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Paul Stamets, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation