Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Rye Grain

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
The hustler'shustler

Loc: Ur moms house
Rye jars keep contaminating, whats wrong?!
    #4272547 - 06/08/05 06:02 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Hey guys. My buddy has recently been doing alot of work with rye, he loves it because of its versatility (spawn or casings) its rapid colonization, high tryptophan content and ease of preparation, but his damn jars keep contaminating. Let me tell you what he is doing so that you can give him some pointers.
To start with, my friend uses 1qt ball jars, with the metal lid band and tyvek filters which he makes from tyvek postal envelopes. He is using spore syringes from the hawks eye so it most likely isn't that. The first batch of jars, my buddy added 250g rye and 280ml water (as recomended at mushmush.nl), he didn't soak the grain because it says for rye you don't need to (also at mushmush). He PC'ed them for about 1 and 1/2 hours then let them cool. inoculation is done on a sterilie surface, duct tape is used to cover the inoculation hole. The needle is sterilized with 70% isopropyl alcohol between every new jar. Out of this batch he lost 2 to contamination out of 5.
Thinking it might be endospores that caused the problem because he didn't soak the grains, on the next batch my friend used the same technique but added the water a day in advance and allowed to soak. All 5 of these jars were lost to contamination. Do you guys have any idea what's going on because my friend sure as hell has no idea.

You're pompeius, aren't you? I'll make a pompeian of you unless you hold your toungue!

-Tiberius Claudius Nero

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Rye Grain

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation