Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
TechnoReligion
    #4270281 - 06/07/05 11:59 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I feel that I am seeing a trend. Since the advent of communications technology such as the internet, a broad shift in the world politico-ethical-religious view is in the works. The moral-ethical-political views of technologically literate people everywhere are starting to coalesce and homogenize. Though this seems to have grown from the grass roots movements of the 60s and the influence of LSD on world conciousness, this trend mainly involves people under 35 years, though there are many technologically literate people over 40, such as myself, for the most part they were not brought up with computers as an integral part of life, so they tend to not be able to fully exploit the communications ability of computing to it's full potential.(observation...not a rule) As time passes and computers penetrate the lower economic strata this age bias will disapear. The beliefs that are emerging from this techno-melting pot seem to based around the free exchange of information. Personal freedom seems to be an overwhelming concern in this culture. Most of these people also tend to adopt more grass roots religious views and tend to move away from heavily organized religion due to it's impact on personal freedom. This culture seems to adopt views from both the right and the left based on their impact on personal freedom. Among the highly technically adept this philosophy even penetrates their views on technology. For example: the Linux operating system was built by the open source community based on the idea that information should be free and the means of communications should be varied. They speak of Linux being a religion and a way of life in a joking manner...but they are at least half serious. I see this homogenization of views to be rapidly moving towards an explosion, in the next 20 years or so, that once in full flower will influence world government policies and dominate global conciousness. The "old guard" style governments will give way to more cooperative and peaceful governments that value the freedom of it's population. Organized religion will wane substantially, in my view, due to their inflexible nature. My own views have been influenced by technology in a real manner. I used to be a staunch right wing political supporter, but have moderated most of my ideas in a radical manner in recent months and years. Much of that change rooted in my involvement with the Linux operating system, but was refined here on The Shroomery.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: TechnoReligion [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #4270847 - 06/08/05 06:37 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Can we listen to Trance and drop "E" at the weekly sermons?

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #4270852 - 06/08/05 06:43 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Amazing! :cool: If true, this could be fun. :heart:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Re: TechnoReligion [Re: Icelander]
    #4271099 - 06/08/05 09:41 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

This is, of course, only my observation, but when communication with anywhere on the globe is easily done, global communities form. The internet is already enabling this to happen. Communities tend to establish norms on social, political, and religious traditions. So, it is only natural for a consensus to dominate on many issues as a result of this. When community norms are established in a global community then the norms that these communities establish will eventually become accepted by all people globally. This is nothing mystical...simply the inevitable end result of free communications.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

#4271156 - 06/08/05 10:09 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

my religion believes in paragraph structures.

technology is just a part of nature, like the shells on snails, an arbitrary exoskeleton piling up in layers at land fill sites.

--------------------
:confused: _ :brainfart:🧠  _ :finger:

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Re: TechnoReligion [Re: redgreenvines]
    #4271168 - 06/08/05 10:14 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

"my religion believes in paragraph structures."

I had one paragraph of info. Petty criticisms like yours don't advance the topic. If you don't like it ...don't read it.

--------------------

OfflineProsgeopax
Jaded, yethopeful?

Loc: Appearing at a mall near ...
    #4271199 - 06/08/05 10:26 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

redgreenvines said:
my religion believes in paragraph structures.

I'm guessing it's silent on the issue of capitalization.

--------------------
Money doesn't grow on trees, but deficits do grow under Bushes.

You can accept, reject, or examine and test any new idea that comes to you. The wise man chooses the third way.
- Tom Willhite

Disclaimer: I reserve the right to change my opinions should I become aware of additional facts, the falsification of information or different perspectives. Articles written by others which I post may not necessarily reflect my opinions in part or in whole, my opinions may be in direct opposition, the topic may be one on which I have yet to formulate an opinion or have doubts about, an article may be posted solely with the intent to stimulate discussion or contemplation.

InvisibleIcelander
Male

#4271203 - 06/08/05 10:27 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Your religion?  :lol:  Maybe they have a pill for that. :grin: :heart:

--------------------

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: TechnoReligion [Re: Prosgeopax]
    #4271218 - 06/08/05 10:30 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

it's about communication - not control - and I am not trying to undermine anything:

some limited capitalization is good, and leaving space so the reader can grasp significant text is very useful.

the density of text is not related to the strength of the content.

--------------------

InvisibleIcelander
Male

#4271236 - 06/08/05 10:35 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Just teasing. :grin: I like things broken up a little also. But that paragraph wasn't too big for me to handle. :heart:

--------------------

OfflineDoom
Rogue

Loc: ghost-train city
    #4271318 - 06/08/05 10:55 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Huehuecoyotl said:
I feel that I am seeing a trend. Since the advent of communications technology such as the internet, a broad shift in the world politico-ethical-religious view is in the works. The moral-ethical-political views of technologically literate people everywhere are starting to coalesce and homogenize. Though this seems to have grown from the grass roots movements of the 60s and the influence of LSD on world conciousness, this trend mainly involves people under 35 years, though there are many technologically literate people over 40, such as myself, for the most part they were not brought up with computers as an integral part of life, so they tend to not be able to fully exploit the communications ability of computing to it's full potential.(observation...not a rule) As time passes and computers penetrate the lower economic strata this age bias will disapear. The beliefs that are emerging from this techno-melting pot seem to based around the free exchange of information. Personal freedom seems to be an overwhelming concern in this culture. Most of these people also tend to adopt more grass roots religious views and tend to move away from heavily organized religion due to it's impact on personal freedom. This culture seems to adopt views from both the right and the left based on their impact on personal freedom. Among the highly technically adept this philosophy even penetrates their views on technology. For example: the Linux operating system was built by the open source community based on the idea that information should be free and the means of communications should be varied. They speak of Linux being a religion and a way of life in a joking manner...but they are at least half serious. I see this homogenization of views to be rapidly moving towards an explosion, in the next 20 years or so, that once in full flower will influence world government policies and dominate global conciousness. The "old guard" style governments will give way to more cooperative and peaceful governments that value the freedom of it's population. Organized religion will wane substantially, in my view, due to their inflexible nature. My own views have been influenced by technology in a real manner. I used to be a staunch right wing political supporter, but have moderated most of my ideas in a radical manner in recent months and years. Much of that change rooted in my involvement with the Linux operating system, but was refined here on The Shroomery.

really? this idea doesnt seem to accommodate the FACT that Islam is the fastest growing philosophy/religion on earth.

InvisibleLunarEclipse
Enlil's Official Story
Male User Gallery

Loc: Building 7
    #4271328 - 06/08/05 10:58 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

"The beliefs that are emerging from this techno-melting pot seem to be based around the free exchange of information."

One belief that has emerged for many from the Internet is that the information should be free. This includes stealing (sorry that's how I view it) music and movies illegally off the Internet.

"Personal freedom seems to be an overwhelming concern for this culture."

By personal freedom in this context, I would agree that each person feels they should be free to download whatever they want without consequence. Their concern is not getting caught.

As for the group personal freedoms, it is becoming apparent that the government is able to take away such freedoms without meaningful resistance by an internet community or by any other group.

Here is an example. The recent Supreme Court MM decision should have caused an outrage, particularly on The Shroomery. More like a yawn.
Today in PAL there was a post that called for action on the MM situation. The link didn't work. Hardly an effective protest.

In the late 60s and 70s, people protested the Vietnam War in a REAL way. Some kids even died from protesting, such as at Kent State. But, it made a difference.

Today, everyone sits on the Internet (myself included obviously) and "protests" from their house. How effective can that be? It's not.

Besides, when push comes to shove, the government will either start monitoring or controlling the Internet in the interest of "national security" and prosecuting those that are "traitors" or "terrorists".

--------------------
Anxiety is what you make it.

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Re: TechnoReligion [Re: LunarEclipse]
    #4271347 - 06/08/05 11:02 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

"The beliefs that are emerging from this techno-melting pot seem to be based around the free exchange of information."
I am discussing the effects of information freely exchanged in the form of ethical-religious-political views....not something as mundane as file sharing. I am talking about the agreement of the scope of human rights...not music piracy, though this will be addressed in the global consensus as well as many other issues. If you do not see that global communication will have far reaching effects then you are naive.

--------------------

Edited by Huehuecoyotl (06/08/05 11:16 AM)

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Re: TechnoReligion [Re: Doom]
    #4271364 - 06/08/05 11:08 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Islam is a valid religion. I do not want to be Islamic, but I know people who are. You generalizing Muslims as all being extremists...the same argument could be made against Christians, but it would also be invalid.

--------------------

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

#4271371 - 06/08/05 11:11 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

One more thing:
"Today, everyone sits on the Internet (myself included obviously) and "protests" from their house. How effective can that be? It's not."

Why do you waste your time? I refuse to spend time in a manner that I see as wasted.

--------------------

InvisibleLunarEclipse
Enlil's Official Story
Male User Gallery

#4271386 - 06/08/05 11:15 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

"If you do not see that global communications will have far reaching effects then you are naive."

When people are as sharply divided as they are in this country, and in the world, how will global communications change that? Do you honestly think 20 more years on the internet will change people's core beliefs? I think you are the one being naive here.

--------------------

InvisibleIcelander
Male

#4271423 - 06/08/05 11:26 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Who knows how long things will take? Still I think being able to communicate with others divided by culture and borders may have good effect on some people. Evolution is a long process. At the very least it is fun to see that we are not so different as our governments whould have us believe. :mushroom2:

--------------------

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

#4271429 - 06/08/05 11:27 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I am not JUST discussing the internet as it is now....but what it will become. It is now possible to push gigabit ethernet through power lines alongside of the power without interference. This allows huge amounts of data to flow. Combine this with our increasing wireless technologies and you have a formidable technological leap getting ready to be made. This will be the genesis of many communications technologies that are still unforseen. It will also be the death of cable TV, the entertainment industries as they now stand, the phone companies, radio, and printed media such as newspapers. Within 25-35 years virtual reality technologies will expand this technology spectrum as well. You have come to take this wonder that is the internet for granted, but when I was 20 it did not exist in this form. The political-ethical impact it has made has already been tremendous, particularly in third world countries where it is now making it's first appearance. Freedom of information brings education with it by default...education brings freedom.

--------------------

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: TechnoProphecy [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #4271455 - 06/08/05 11:31 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

as a technoprophet, you could get a job in marketting

--------------------

InvisibleLunarEclipse
Enlil's Official Story
Male User Gallery

#4271490 - 06/08/05 11:39 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

"You have come to take this wonder of the internet for granted, but when I was 20 it did not exist in this form."

When I was 20, you were probably 10...

I don't take the internet for granted.  It took a month to get DSL in my area and I was without.  :mad:

The internet is a wonderful tool to find information quickly. 

As to the internet changing what people believe, whether that is religious or political, and creating a global community with a techno-religion, I just don't agree with you.  I see people becoming more divided, not less, over time, based on current trends.  In fact, if anything I see the internet as contributing and speeding up that division.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom