Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineRetired
How to speak to a believer...?
    #4262799 - 06/06/05 08:09 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I work with a small group of people I am one of four. There are two religious believers and 2 no religion at all. One of the believers preaches to everyone.

I actually believe we have lost business due to his overwhelming obsession with god.

My question comment is how do I tell him off? He speaks of god to me every time we work together. How do I tell him it is not right to do? especially in the work place?

He(the preacher(not a real one tho)) is gay, does drugs, owes tons of people money, eats pork, and is basically uneducated...no...completly uneducated which makes it very hard to tell him anything and have him believe it...

Thanks for your help...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDoom
Rogue

Loc: ghost-train city
Re: How to speak to a believer...? [Re: Retired]
    #4262814 - 06/06/05 08:21 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

punch him in the face when hes not looking.

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

#4262820 - 06/06/05 08:23 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

to urge another to one cosmology or another, one is actually transgressing boundaries.

let him know that he is going too far with you in this way.

after he comes to respect your boundaries better, which can be achieved with some dignity, you can introduce sensitivity to others' boundaries to him.

He may come around.

if he does not come around, the right thing would be to advise the leader of the group, or supervisor that the problem is undermining the business at hand.

--------------------
:confused: _ :brainfart:🧠  _ :finger:

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #4264191 - 06/06/05 03:00 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

lol I'll bet there are topics of the exact opposite nature on various religious websites heh..

Have one of your friends come in one day (and not act like a friend) and get all offended and very vocally decide to reject this place of business due to its preechings.

"nevermind I don't want to do business here.. I am not religious and find this offensive - I shall tell my friends to avoid this place.. good day to you, preecher-man"

lol something like that

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Rabbit Hole
Re: How to speak to a believer...? [Re: redgreenvines]
    #4264214 - 06/06/05 03:10 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

if he does not come around, the right thing would be to advise the leader of the group, or supervisor that the problem is undermining the business at hand.

This is the only practical, professional solution if he doesn't stop after you speak with him.

--------------------
Republican Values:

1) You can't get married to your spouse who is the same sex as you.
2) You can't have an abortion no matter how much you don't want a child.
3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

4) We need a smaller, less-intrusive government.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
    #4264255 - 06/06/05 03:25 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Warning: Absolutely do NOT us logic when talking to such a person.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

InvisibleVeritas
 User Gallery
Re: How to speak to a believer...? [Re: Swami]
    #4264262 - 06/06/05 03:27 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I agree.  You could upset the Time-Space continuum, cause gas prices to increase, and trigger an explosion of new reality-based TV shows.

(Maybe you should have told him this sooner, Swami??)
:shocked:

Offlineilithmar
Stranger
Re: How to speak to a believer...? [Re: Veritas]
    #4270433 - 06/08/05 12:58 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

put some acid in his tea, THEN you might be able to try having a conversation about it with him... :wink:

Or you may just have to offend him... after all, he's offending you, in a way.

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
Re: How to speak to a believer...? [Re: ilithmar]
    #4270451 - 06/08/05 01:06 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

"put some acid in his tea, THEN you might be able to try having a conversation about it with him"
That would just make you a different kind of "believer".

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

Offlineilithmar
Stranger
Re: How to speak to a believer...? [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #4270467 - 06/08/05 01:14 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I made the recommendation because psychedelics are an excellent tool for realising the fallacy of having any beliefs at all, thus he might be able to see the silliness of his mind-programming.

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

#4270478 - 06/08/05 01:19 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

They are also an excellant tool for driving an unsuspecting person crazy. I have a friend who unknowingly ingested LSD and he experienced a psychotic episode resulting in chronic paranoid schizophrenia. Ten years later the person who did it to him owned up, but it was too late. Years in and out of mental hospitals cannot be undone.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

Offlineilithmar
Stranger
    #4270487 - 06/08/05 01:22 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Gee, who would have thunk it... I also know someone who spiked someone's drink with Datura. Ouch.

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

#4270492 - 06/08/05 01:27 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Fuck that. I once spent a night babysitting a person on Datura... it was tedious to say the least.

--------------------

Offlineilithmar
Stranger
    #4270497 - 06/08/05 01:33 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Yeah, this guy was not a nice fellow (he was about 30 years older than me and almost tried to fuck me. Yuck). Apparantly the person who's drink he spiked almost died, they had to go to hospital.
I suppose hypnotism is another option, i hear that many priests are excellent at speaking in such a way as to put their listeners in a trance.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#4270510 - 06/08/05 01:38 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I made the recommendation because psychedelics are an excellent tool for realising the fallacy of having any beliefs ...

They ARE?! Where do you come up with this stuff?

--------------------

Offlineilithmar
Stranger
    #4270533 - 06/08/05 01:48 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Well, you know, as soon as you believe something, your mind becomes dead to it, and stuck. You cease to think about it. As Robert Anton Wilson said "Belief is the death of intelligence". Which is pretty true (though not necessarily) as far as i can see. All truth is relative, therefore nothing is objectively true. Reality is the here and now, everything else is just a representation of something that may once/will be real. The word 'water' is not really water.

I do like to drink water, though.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#4270835 - 06/08/05 06:12 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Your verbiage and appeal to authority aside, you have brought nothing to the table that backs your contention about psychedelics and belief.

This board and especially the Political Forum and the attitudes expresed are the "evidence" that I would bring to counter your statement. Essentially, little to no change has taken place and people are just as "stuck" after as they were before.

--------------------

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida Flag
    #4270854 - 06/08/05 06:44 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Ever hear that story about the contest that the Sun and Wind had to see which one could get a man to remove his coat first? The Wind blew and blew, whistled and howled, sometimes spraying rain in the man's face. The man pulled his coat closer and tighter, finally burying his ears and face in the upturned collar. Then it was the Sun's turn. The Sun simply glowed and glowed with its natural radiance, and the man relaxed his grasp on the coat, folded down his collar, unbuttoned the coat, and in a short while removed it completely.

Ask your co-worker if he ever heard this. There is no punchline, no moral - it should be self-explanatory. If not, and he is particularly dense from all of his over-compensatory bulls**t, tell him that the Truth of what he speaks is in his state of being, not in all the words he is speaking, and as far as you can see from his example, he is just a liar.

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

Offlineegghead1
Nakedly Open

Loc: The Womb of Love
Re: How to speak to a believer...? [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #4270859 - 06/08/05 06:48 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Once again Markos, i am truly amazed at your wisdom. That is definely the way to go about this. :thumbup:

--------------------
All you need is Love! Really thats it! Infinite Unconditional Love! Just develop that and all else will fall into place perfectly!

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #4270866 - 06/08/05 06:56 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Swami said:
Your verbiage and appeal to authority aside, you have brought nothing to the table that backs your contention about psychedelics and belief.

This board and especially the Political Forum and the attitudes expresed are the "evidence" that I would bring to counter your statement. Essentially, little to no change has taken place and people are just as "stuck" after as they were before.

Well I think psychedelics helped me see through the fallicy of ultimate beliefs. I have beliefs but I know that they are based on things unproven, my intuition, and faith. I know my beliefs are subjective and are not final truth or even necessarily real, or correct. During psychedelic experiences I became acutely aware of this. :mushroom2:

I am not as stuck as I was before. I am much more flexible and adaptable to what is, in my life. :mushroom2:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order