Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineharpd
Passing By

Effects of heat on potency (Tea preparations, brownies, etc.)
    #4269232 - 06/07/05 08:48 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Someone suggested this thread in the mushroom myths post, so I figured I would continue the debate here. Post your experiences with tea preparations, baking, or any other preparation that uses heat to extract the goods from your mushrooms.

I've made tea several times and I've never had any problems with a loss in potency. First, I make my tea without any mushrooms, and then pour the (still boiling hot) tea into a cup containing my dose of finely powdered mushrooms. That way I know that I'm getting all of my dose into my cup. I then stir the mixture and let it steep for five to ten minutes, until the tea turns bluish black and all the powder has turned blue. Then I add a squeeze of lemon for flavor and gulp it down while its still warm. As I said, I've never had any problems with this method. I've tried both drinking the mixture with the powder still in it and straining out the powder before drinking and I didn't notice a difference. The heat doesn't seem to affect anything. The most important part of the recipe is to have bone dry mushrooms and grind them as finely as possible to maximize surface area for absorption into the water.

I don't have any experience with baking mushroom brownies or anything like that, so please share so we can set the record straight once and for all.

Happy Tripping

DHarp

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblegdman
badger, badger,badger...
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dancing In the Streets
Re: Effects of heat on potency (Tea preparations, brownies, etc.) [Re: harpd]
    #4269263 - 06/07/05 08:57 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Grind up your mushrooms, mix them with juice and drink them, no heat or anything.

--------------------

Got a question about a substance?  Erowid might already have your answer! Have questions about the  mushroom experience? The  Tripper's FAQ may have your answer or someone else might have had your question before.

I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights.
  - Theodor Seuss Geisel Dr. Suess

"I didn't come here to be easily understood" - Steve

Invisiblemecreateme
YoUisMEEMsiUoY
Male User Gallery

Loc: Memphrica
Re: Effects of heat on potency (Tea preparations, brownies, etc.) [Re: gdman]
    #4269347 - 06/07/05 09:26 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

There is no way to get a control for these experiments. You can't do two doses at once, one with heat made tea and one with non heat made mix, and compare their effects. All you can say is you tripped. Different people cannot compare their teas, as you need the same observer. You can't compare two different times one when you made tea with heat and the other when you made the mix because each trial has many different variables that effect it. I don't think much can be done here by us, but maybe someone who could analyze a tea and find out the levels of alkaloids or whatever in it. But that would be going back to the classic stuff that says potency is lost with heat, and I agree with that. How do you know you did not lose potency? What made you come to this conclusion? Just tripping is not gonna satisfy most people's minds.

--------------------
No ONE wants to know the ultimate TRUTH, as soon as YOU find IT out, YOU want to forget IT.

You are everything's way of feeling itself.

Happy Schwag, everygodly!

OfflineKerr
Who else would I be

Loc: My roots in the Koots
    #4271262 - 06/08/05 12:43 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Your preferred method eh Gdman? I must agree the fastest comeup IME. :smile:

--------------------
"Easy going and organic thoughts bent on self experimentation and knowledge and growth for the betterment of self and those around us"
-Playdo the philosophiser

Offlineryanvergel
qdbpqdbp
Male

Re: Effects of heat on potency (Tea preparations, brownies, etc.) [Re: Kerr]
    #4271275 - 06/08/05 12:46 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Cubes don't lose much in the heat, but other mushrooms do.

Cubes only have small levels of psilocin, which is what mainly gets damaged in heat, and if cubes only have a small amount of it, it won't do much overall.

So, if you're using psilocybe cubensis as a basis, then you can't come to an accurate conclusion. Most of a cube's psilocybin will remain intact while making tea, the loss will be in the psilocin which isn't too apparent in cubes.

--------------------
So it goes.

InvisibleHolydiver
Stranger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The midnight sea
    #4271281 - 06/08/05 12:47 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

gdman said:
Grind up your mushrooms, mix them with juice and drink them, no heat or anything.

Doesn't get any easier than this. Grind to total powder and mix. Orange juice masks the flavor really well, as does grapefruit juice, etc.

--------------------
To find a place to live between the negatives and positives.

Offlineharpd
Passing By

Re: Effects of heat on potency (Tea preparations, brownies, etc.) [Re: Holydiver]
    #4273005 - 06/08/05 08:22 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

And the vitamin C and citric acid in orange juice couldn't hurt either. Definitely a good way to minimize nausea during the come-up. By the way, my control for these experiments was simply eating the same dry weight from the same grow. I have a pretty well set ritual for food and drink the day of a trip, so I can't imagine that the contents of my stomach would be that different from one trip to the next. I do understand your objection Mecreateme, but all I can say is that I didn't find any subjective difference in the intenstity of my trips other than a faster come-up and a slightly shorter trip overall.

Has anyone ever tried baking mushrooms into brownies or a cake? I've always wondered if that would work or if the heat would be too much.

--------------------
When you get the blanket thing you can relax because everything you could ever want or be you already have and are.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience