Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
A thread about forums...
    #4252823 - 06/03/05 04:07 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

:thumbup:The shroomery was the second forum I joined, which was only about 2 months after my first forum. SO I have only been a forumee (?) for about 5 months or so, and I love them.

Imagine the social implications that forums are having. It has exponentially increased the sharing of information, knowledge, and bullshit worldwide. Now, instead of being limited to a certain radius from my home of people that I can interact with and talk to about a love, insight, or way of life, I can talk to everyone around the world about it (with a computer).

Forums are superior to chat rooms because it is more concrete and tangible. It is like a library of conversation and thought. I think everyone needs to find a forum that focuses on their own objects/subjects of affinity.

A forum is collective knowledge amplification. A forum is an affinity depot. A forum is a hobby/interest guild.

Hooray for forums.... :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
Re: A thread about forums... [Re: SneezingPenis]
    #4252884 - 06/03/05 04:23 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Yep, they're great aren't they? I used to post a lot on Usenet, but I found forums to be much more useful and entertaining!  :laugh:

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #4253081 - 06/03/05 05:14 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I started at Lycaeum, then Bluelight, Then Ta Da, the Shroomery. Now I spend 95% of my time here. I like the feeling of being part of this somewhat dysfunctional family.  :grin: :heart: Of course I'm not the one being dysfunctional. :mushroom2: :tongue:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Edited by Icelander (06/03/05 05:30 PM)

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
Re: A thread about forums... [Re: Icelander]
    #4253111 - 06/03/05 05:19 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Icelander said:
Of course I'm not the one being dysfunctional. :mushroom2: :tongue:

Hang around for a while. You will be....  :grin:

Offlinetrunksan
PsyChicken
Male

Loc: UK, Hellas
Re: A thread about forums... [Re: Icelander]
    #4253129 - 06/03/05 05:26 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Forums are great. However, I feel that (just like in real life) people enter a topic even though they don't have anything to contribute it.
I find that annoying in both the the physical and virtual world.

I read many differen kind of forums, Music, sport, video games but rarely post anything because there are very few cases that I feel that I'm contributing to the conversation.

InvisibleIcelander
Male

Re: A thread about forums... [Re: Le_Canard]
    #4253137 - 06/03/05 05:28 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I plan on it. :blah: :whack: :cussing: :headbanger: :rockon: :yesnod: :lol:

--------------------

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
    #4253341 - 06/03/05 06:28 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

It's not just "forums", they are only the most obvious example of what has become a paradigm-shifting invention: the Internet.

I think a lot of people, certainly the "average man on the street", still have little or NO idea about how much the Internet is changing our world...and how much it will change our world. We are still only in the first stages of this change, but it will continue to accelerate into the foreseeable future.

I remember when the Internet had only a few million people on it. When it was ruled by researchers and computer nerds. When most people still didn't even know what the Internet was, let alone had ever been on it. It wasn't "cool", to be online, in those days :smirk:

Now, just over a decade later, over half a billion people (~600 million, link) are online and connected! That's 1/10th of the world's population! :eek:

The Internet is bringing us all closer together. Twenty years ago my chances of getting to know someone from the other side of the planet were slim to nil. Today, I am a mere click away from connecting with like-minded people almost anywhere on the planet. Where in the past people were more or less forced to conform to the group of people they are stuck with, today we can seek out others like ourselves - which helps to further define who we are and how we view ourselves. Having people who think like you, who share the same thoughts as you, just a click away makes a massive difference.

In some ways, I see this leading to a fracturing of what we think of as "society" right now. Instead of being in a local society, we can be in a global society...one where we pick and chose who we want to interact with.

I think in another 10 years, we will really start to notice the things that have changed and will change due to this network.

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

Offlinecrunchytoast
oppositional

Loc: aporia
Re: A thread about forums... [Re: trendal]
    #4254603 - 06/04/05 12:23 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

1. i like i can find anyone who is on my wavelength that day thanks to the internet.

2. paradigm shifting? further: internet changes consciousness.
one day scientists will be able to scan the brain and make virtual copies of it, virtually immersed. life/death lose meaning (copy, delete). a person cloned x10000 in 2 seconds: individuality lost. internet is stage before this. internet is evolution of group mind- god mind.

--------------------
"consensus on the nature of equilibrium is usually established by periodic conflict." -henry kissinger

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Rabbit Hole
    #4254793 - 06/04/05 01:24 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

This is a meta-thread; it's a thread not about a topic, but about itself!

I like that. Gives me an idea:

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/4254784/an/0/page/0

--------------------
Republican Values:

1) You can't get married to your spouse who is the same sex as you.
2) You can't have an abortion no matter how much you don't want a child.
3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

4) We need a smaller, less-intrusive government.

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
Re: A thread about forums... [Re: trunksan]
    #4254984 - 06/04/05 02:34 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

trunksan said:
Forums are great. However, I feel that (just like in real life) people enter a topic even though they don't have anything to contribute it.

I read many differen kind of forums, Music, sport, video games but rarely post anything because there are very few cases that I feel that I'm contributing to the conversation.

Imagine a forum like this where everyone agreed with each other...

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
    #4255066 - 06/04/05 03:25 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

BORING!

--------------------
Republican Values:

3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
Re: A thread about forums... [Re: Diploid]
    #4255069 - 06/04/05 03:26 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

no shit.... I mean, yeah right Diploid, it would be amazing..... i completely disagree with you on this one...

Offlinetrunksan
PsyChicken
Male

#4268547 - 06/07/05 03:17 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

psilocyberin said:
Quote:

trunksan said:

I have no problem with arguements, I mean people messing up conversations like:

changing subjects
posting stupid posts
attacks for no aparent reason
..... etc

arguement is gr8

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Re: A thread about forums... [Re: trendal]
    #4268936 - 06/07/05 05:35 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

The Internet is bringing us all closer together.

Indeed! I think the Internet is humanity's last chance hope for world peace by way of how the it's making the world smaller, how people from all walks of life, all countries, all faiths come together in places like this and learn to call each other 'friend' where just 10 years ago we'd have referred to each other as 'foreigners'.  :heart:

Perhaps even more importantly, it is bringing kids from disparate cultures together in places like IRC where they learn about each other and forge friendships never before possible due to the distances involved. :heart:

--------------------
Republican Values:

Offlinetrunksan
PsyChicken
Male

#4272625 - 06/08/05 04:26 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I was watching a french documentary a few months ago and this professor was sayin something that was amazing and I had never thought about it:

One of the problems with under-developed countries is the lack of educators and acces to knowledge generally (books for example). This can be easily solved with any machine that can access the internet, so he was suggesting that those countries in the future will be able to get that knowledge through the internet and people will be able to educate themselves and their communinties. I'm not making any claims about not requiring personal teaching here, it would be much better if they had teachers and schools.

The only problem is that they lack the infrastructure. However, he was suggesting that at some point (in the very near future) wireless internet will be available at almost any point in the world so as long as someone has electricity there will be many ways to access the internet.

InvisibleIcelander
Male

#4274435 - 06/09/05 12:48 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Diploid said:
The Internet is bringing us all closer together.

Indeed! I think the Internet is humanity's last chance hope for world peace by way of how the it's making the world smaller, how people from all walks of life, all countries, all faiths come together in places like this and learn to call each other 'friend' where just 10 years ago we'd have referred to each other as 'foreigners'.  :heart:

Perhaps even more importantly, it is bringing kids from disparate cultures together in places like IRC where they learn about each other and forge friendships never before possible due to the distances involved. :heart:

I don't know about last chances, but I have met, and now find friends where I only suspected they existed. As a kid I used to wonder if I was missing, by way of them living somewhere far away, a great friend or great love. I am glad to be among you. :heart:

--------------------

Edited by Icelander (06/09/05 12:49 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder