Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineChastity_Belt
Unholy livingdead

For slow growing gourmets, pasteurize or sterilize substrate you will spawn to?
    #4265590 - 06/06/05 09:04 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Hi all.  I want to try my hand at some stropharia, but I have question...I can make up jars or mycobags of rye, but to spawn this to the sawdust/woodchip mix--does the final substrate need to be sterilized or pasteurized?  I'm only working with a glovebox here, so I don't know how easy it would be to keep things sterile while spawning the grain.  I would like to pasteurize, but I'm concerned that that the slow growth of this species would just open up the pasteurized substrate to contamination after a couple of weeks.  Any ideas?  Should I just use a lot of grain spawn to the wood substrate and pasteurize it?  Or is sterilization a must for the final substrate? 

Thanks. :grin:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinefalcon
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: For slow growing gourmets, pasteurize or sterilize substrate you will spawn to? [Re: Chastity_Belt]
    #4265714 - 06/06/05 09:37 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

You can add spawn directly to fresh cut woodchips if they are done in
an outside bed. You can also stretch your spawn by adding the rye
to soaked cardboard and letting the cardboard become colonized. Then
lay out the colonized cardboard under fresh cut wood chips.

I think sterilizing rather than pastuerizing if those are the choices
though. Check speekers posts I think he did something similar.

OfflineChastity_Belt
Unholy livingdead

Re: For slow growing gourmets, pasteurize or sterilize substrate you will spawn to? [Re: falcon]
    #4265873 - 06/06/05 10:15 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks.  :smile:

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: For slow growing gourmets, pasteurize or sterilize substrate you will spawn to? [Re: Chastity_Belt]
    #4267116 - 06/07/05 08:59 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

For an indoor grow, it's best to sterilize the wood chips/sawdust. For an outdoor grow, as stated above, it's optional. Personally, for my outdoor wood lovers I place the wood chips in a large pot I have full of water, and bring to a boil. When the water boils, I shut off the heat and let the water and wood chips cool slowly. When they're cool, I take outdoors and spawn. This seems to give my mushrooms a bit of a head start over whatever other fungi might have already been colonizing the wood.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineChastity_Belt
Unholy livingdead

Re: For slow growing gourmets, pasteurize or sterilize substrate you will spawn to? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #4267469 - 06/07/05 11:29 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks! Has anyone here done a g2g from jars of grain to bags of woodchips/sawdust in a glovebox? Should I just forget the grain spawn and use liquid mycelium to inoculate sterilized bags of wood chips?
Thanks!

Offline5meopsyco
Stranger

#4267479 - 06/07/05 11:34 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

ive done it with pink oysters, it worked awsome, as soon as i get my grow room finished it will be fruit along with my reishi, and shiitakes...

OfflineChastity_Belt
Unholy livingdead

Re: For slow growing gourmets, pasteurize or sterilize substrate you will spawn to? [Re: 5meopsyco]
    #4267611 - 06/07/05 12:04 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I'm using DIY spawnbags, so there's a plastic ring supporting the "mouth" of the bag.  Was going to cover this with Tyvek and foil, PC, then, remove the foil and tyvek and transfer grain through the mouth, replace the tyvek and tape, then coffee filter for dust.  Is this how you did it?  Or something similar?

Thanks.  :laugh:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags