Home | Community | Message Board

Phytoextractum
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Air Pump, Perlite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineGhosty
journeyman
Sitting Water
    #4265701 - 06/06/05 11:34 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

does water in perlite evaporate? or does it sit at the bottom?

If it does sit what it a good way to remove it, my terriarum is currently a wooden box lined with plastic. I was thinking about putting holes in the bottom of the box but its a bit heavy to have something underneath the box(would crush it).

Would an air pump with wands running under the perlite in the water combat against the problems of sitting water(contams.etc)?

--------------------
-weird

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinewillmafingerdo
the noob
Male User Gallery

Re: Sitting Water [Re: Ghosty]
    #4266106 - 06/07/05 01:14 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

i only add enough water that the perlite can hold it.. mabye im wrong doing this, but my humidity was alwasy 85-99%.. but i quit using perlite once i figured out that my casing put off enough humidty themselfs... dont know if this will help ya out or not..

--------------------
:scaryshroom: :shitstorm: :mattz: :bongload: :gethigh: :scaryshroom:

I am not lost.. i am going there looking for it.. and when i get there and find it, i will know what it is..

"The way to stop violence is not to go out and let your head be beaten in but to say, you want to take my life risk yours!"

"are you sure u want to eat all them shrooms??"  "yes i want to hear what my mind has to say..."

remember opions are like assholes, everyone has one and they all stink.

OfflineGhosty
journeyman
Re: Sitting Water [Re: willmafingerdo]
    #4266984 - 06/07/05 09:46 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

ummm.. but that doesn't answer me question :P

but now that you say that.. it makes me think that just an air pump in a jar of water will provide sufficient humidity as I will be using casings

--------------------
-weird

Invisiblebackupwards
peon

Loc: somewhere else
Re: Sitting Water [Re: Ghosty]
    #4267039 - 06/07/05 10:21 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

perlite doesn't actually soak water in, but rather it holds it in little pores on its surface, yes it does evap off. best to just soak it for awhile and then drain any excess off and then put in chamber. this has worked best for me, keeping humidity up to 100% at times.
standing water will have more of a chance to contam. you can add h2o2 to the water to inhibit any growths from occurring.
as far as adding wands, yes you can do that with water in the chamber, but you will need to put somthing on top of it for support of the cakes as perlite will float in water. wire mesh or something of that sort.
peace

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Mountain Northwest
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Sitting Water [Re: backupwards]
    #4267072 - 06/07/05 10:39 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

You want zero standing water. As said above, always drain the perlite before adding to your terrarium. Any standing water will actually lower the humidity, as it reduces the amount of air in contact with the perlite.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Air Pump, Perlite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation