Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere, Everytime.
Amateur rock music production - GarageBand versus Logic
    #4264071 - 06/06/05 02:33 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Hey guys... I've come to seek your wealth of knowledge.

Here is the deal... I am thinking about dropping some cash on a new computer set up for recording my music. I am not terribly experienced with most modern music production programs... I currently use a PC with Guitar Tracks Pro 4 (Cakewalk) to record, and I'm really not very satisfied with it. (my biggest gripe so far is probably the complete lack of dynamic track volume control...)

I also use Guitar Pro 4 to compose layouts sometimes... it's not the most friendly interface, but I like how it utilizes midi to guarantee timing... what I'd really like is something that combines this kind of composition-friendly midi style for say... custom drum tracks and bass, with real-time recording for my guitar and vocal tracks.

I'm not sure how feasible this is, but I do know that Guitar Tracks Pro is waaay behind in this area... all it can do is basically a midi metronome. I'd really like a built in customizable drum machine, essentially.

Right now I'm leaning towards just picking up a G5 and using GarageBand, but I don't have a good grasp on how limited it's abilities are. (I read some reviews, none of which seemed very informative.)

So I'm wondering... what can Logic do that GarageBand can't? Is it a matter of mastering quality? I know that GarageBand is a lot simpler to get started on, and that is a major plus to me... but I'm not generally one to sacrifice something more useful just because it has a higher learning curve.

So what I'm trying to figure out is whether or not there are some really substantial leaps and bounds that Logic offers over GarageBand that would be signifigant to me personally.

I noticed that Logic offers some degree of sheet music notation transcription. Am I right to assume that it will only transcribe midi tracks, etc. or will it also somehow transcribe what I'm playing on a guitar, for instance?

And does GarageBand offer any kind of sheet music interface?

I know this whole thing is kinda rambly and lacks specificity, but I'm posting it anyway... if anyone wants to help me out, I'd be appreciating it. :smile:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMiddlemanM

Re: Amateur rock music production - GarageBand versus Logic [Re: JacquesCousteau]
    #4264554 - 06/06/05 05:00 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Logic 7 has far more routing possiilities and editing features than GB.
It's DSPs and compression algorithms are far superior to GB as well.

But, Logic 7 is counter-intuitive and akward in my opinion, compared to DP4.
DP4 is like all of Logic's features and quality combined with GB's high productivity speed.
Plus, the MOTU hardware sounds far better than anything other than ProToolsHD.

I run DP 4.5 on a G4 Dual 1.5 Mirror with an 896HD and Mackie HUI.
I've been told my mixes sound pro, and i have never had a click, pop or freeze.

There are MAD audio bugs / fan noise issues with the G5.
Just ask around at www.osxaudio.com and they'll tell you,
buy a used high-end G4 or wait for the new G5 revisions.

There are pitch-to-MIDI plug-ins for Logic and DP4, but the tracking is very unstable.
I use a Roland GK-2A MIDI pickup on my axe and my licks appear as perfect notation in DP4.

InvisibleMiddlemanM

Re: Amateur rock music production - GarageBand versus Logic [Re: Middleman]
    #4274185 - 06/08/05 11:11 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

:sniffs armpits:

InvisibleautomanM
blasted chipmunk
 User Gallery

Re: Amateur rock music production - GarageBand versus Logic [Re: Middleman]
    #4274240 - 06/08/05 11:20 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

the key to better avoiding the "clicks and pops" is to write all ur tracks to a separate hard drive. i think the SATA150 10,000 RPMs are great for that. i live in a serious music city and probably build at least 2 computers a week for private studios.

--------------------
No, no, you're not thinking, you're just being logical. ~ Niels Bohr

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder