Home | Community | Message Board

Myco Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Hemp

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1

Loc: Flag
One-man pot crusade begins [SD]
    #4262600 - 06/06/05 04:22 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

One-man pot crusade begins
June 5, 2005 - rapidcityjournal.com

Packs loaded with hemp energy bars, hemp pretzels and medical-marijuana petitions, Hermosa political activist Bob Newland set out for Sioux Falls on Sunday afternoon - on a bicycle.

"It's a personal growth experience," he told reporters, who stopped him 10 miles east of town for brief interviews.

Newland is riding to collect signatures on petitions for a 2006 ballot measure to legalize medical marijuana in South Dakota.

He is also bicycling in memory of his late friend Mike Ducheneaux, who was convicted for possessing the marijuana he used to relieve muscle spasms related to a spinal cord injury.

Newland said Sunday that when he explains how the ballot measure is intended to "help the sick and dying," almost no one refuses a signature.

He believes he will log about 500 miles on the southern two-lane route across the state, through Vermillion.

He will turn around there and pedal back to Rapid City, "if nothing explodes," he said.

The most likely component to "explode" might be the bike's human engine. "I haven't bicycled 500 miles in my entire life," Newland admitted to reporters, who stopped him on S.D. Highway 44 East, 10 miles east of town.

His bicycle is a Giant Revive "semi-recumbent" model that allows him to sit upright and enjoy the view. He is also towing a bike trailer. The bike, trailer, nine assorted packs and miscellaneous gear weigh more than 120 pounds.

Newland is a long-time proponent of industrial hemp.

He is also a frequent candidate for the Libertarian Party. His bicycle helmet bears a "South Dakota Gun Owners" sticker, as well a sticker for "South Dakotans for Safe Access," the group Newland founded to promote legalizing medical marijuana.

"Oh good, it's raining," Newland said as pedaled away - wobbly, until he picked up speed - heading east on the one-man "Matthew Ducheneaux Trail to Safe Access Bicycle Tour Across South Dakota."

On the Web
Follow Bob Newland's progress and get more information about South Dakotans for Safe Access at http://www.sodaksafeaccess.org/

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Cacti junky
 User Gallery

Loc: The bridgesii bridge
Re: One-man pot crusade begins [SD] [Re: veggie]
    #4262767 - 06/06/05 09:43 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

:cheers: to this guy

Manoa said:
I need to stop spending all my money on plants and take up a cheaper hobby, like heroin. :lol:

Looking for Rauhocereus riosaniensis seeds or live specimen(s), :pm: me if you have any for trade

fuck this site
Re: One-man pot crusade begins [SD] [Re: SuperD]
    #4263035 - 06/06/05 12:07 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

fuck yeah, thats the spirit!

Loc: Flag
    #4327268 - 06/23/05 02:50 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

South Dakotan completes cross-state tour for medical marijuana
June 22, 2005 - siouxcityjournal.com

SIOUX FALLS, S.D. (AP) -- A Hermosa man has completed a cross-state bicycle tour aimed at gathering signatures to put a medical marijuana measure on the 2006 ballot.

Longtime activist Bob Newland pedaled into Sioux Falls Tuesday night after logging 440 miles and gathering 250 signatures along the Matthew Ducheneaux Trail to Safe Access Bicycle Tour Across South Dakota.

The petitions need about 17,000 signatures by May 2006 to get on the 2006 ballot. Newland said his target is 20,000 to provide a cushion for invalid signatures.

"We have a year," he said in an interview. "My plan is to find 100 people who will each get 200 signatures."

The day after Newland's June 5 departure from Rapid City, the U.S. Supreme Court decided that people who smoke marijuana for medical reasons can be prosecuted for violating federal drug laws.

Newland said many South Dakotans along the route already knew about his cause, thanks to news coverage and the high court's decision.

"Actually, I picked up $200 in contributions the first three days, and people were stopping me to sign the petition and people were offering me weed," Newland said.

Newland named his trek after Ducheneaux, a quadriplegic from Eagle Butte who used marijuana to ease chronic pain from muscle spasms and died May 23.

In 2000, Sioux Falls police arrested Ducheneaux for marijuana possession. A magistrate judge had agreed to let him argue that he needed the substance for medical reasons, but a circuit judge overruled that decision. The state Supreme Court unanimously upheld his conviction in 2003.

Newland said the journey was designed to raise awareness for the issue and get South Dakotans talking about it.

On a typical day, Newland rode about 25 miles before stopping in a town.

After six hours fighting headwinds and dragging 120 pounds of luggage, his next stop was typically a tavern.

"Going to a tavern to get signatures on the medical marijuana petition is like shooting fish in a barrel," said Newland, noting he'd often get 10 or 20 patrons to sign.

Newland said he'll continue gathering signatures at the upcoming Black Hills Heritage Festival in Rapid City. He also plans to lobby at the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally, although most visitors will be out-of-staters.

"It's not the best place to circulate a South Dakota petition, although with this one I believe I'll get lots of out-of-state money donated to this thing. The rally is invariably hemp and cannabis friendly."

A South Dakota medical marijuana bill was killed 11-1 in a House committee in January. Assistant State Attorney General Charlie McGuigan testified that his office opposes any attempt to legalize marijuana in any form. Marijuana is the most commonly used illicit drug in South Dakota and leads to other illegal drug use, he said.

But Newland, after meeting with scores of people along his bicycle route, said he's confident a state measure will pass if it gets on the ballot.

"Getting it on the ballot is a given, provided we do the detail work, which is actually get the signatures," he said.

fuck this site
    #4328125 - 06/23/05 12:53 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

A South Dakota medical marijuana bill was killed 11-1

Hot damn! Nature haters!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Hemp

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service