Home | Community | Message Board

Myco Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Rye Grain, Scales, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineMych
Stranger

When looking for substrate, what are the nutes to look for?
    #4262220 - 06/06/05 01:35 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Just curious as to what specific things make a substrate have a better nutrient base than others.. like any specific "nutrition facts" that mych likes?

i was thinking about boiled peanuts used like grain... but i dont know how to differentiate the nutrition properties between each material

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleQuiescence
Intriguer
 Arcade Champion: Hexxagon

Re: When looking for substrate, what are the nutes to look for? [Re: Mych]
    #4262232 - 06/06/05 01:40 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Tryptophan. Thats what is turned into the good stuff.
Thats why people suggest things like quinoa.. rye.. or my new favorite.. bulgur wheat.

Try bluhoney's recipe... I love it.
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat...rue#Post4224593

~Quiescence~

--------------------
God raised up the fellow who was relaxed in the company of tax collectors, prostitutes and other outsiders, and went on to say that many of them would be welcomed to God?s banquet table long before those self-righteous people on display at church.

OfflineMych
Stranger

Re: When looking for substrate, what are the nutes to look for? [Re: Quiescence]
    #4262265 - 06/06/05 01:49 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Quiescence said:
Tryptophan. Thats what is turned into the good stuff.
Thats why people suggest things like quinoa.. rye.. or my new favorite.. bulgur wheat.

Try bluhoney's recipe... I love it.
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat...rue#Post4224593

~Quiescence~

i cant imagine that tryptophan is the only thing that makes for a good substrate. if so why cant we simply add tryptophan to the substrate?

InvisibleQuiescence
Intriguer

#4262287 - 06/06/05 01:55 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Fair enough.. so 'nutritious' things that have a lot of trytophan. If you can find it in a health food store.. and it has a lot of tryptophan(not that it will list it on the box) .. then it is probably pretty darn good.

Think about what health experts say.. White bread is bad.. whole wheat bread is good.
White flour doesn't work well for mushies.. whole wheats and their flours do.. .. . . ..
But you can just add tryptophan. I think Agar was talking about it. Don't quote me on that. I know someone bought and was using it. But its tricky using it in a pure form.. he had some problems. So get it in a natural food.

Like that better?  :tongue:

:wink:

~Quiescence~

--------------------
God raised up the fellow who was relaxed in the company of tax collectors, prostitutes and other outsiders, and went on to say that many of them would be welcomed to God?s banquet table long before those self-righteous people on display at church.

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

#4262290 - 06/06/05 01:57 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Tryptophan is a big deal believe it or not.

Rye is one of the best subs...Besides poo of course...

Poo as far as i know is full of N...And N in high amount Burns substrates...but anyways..My point is Lots of N with Tryphans...Whoa...that's a good time :thumbup: :cool:

I'd like to further anwser you're question but damn, My eyes burn from reading so long :smirk:

-Gnostic

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

Re: When looking for substrate, what are the nutes to look for? [Re: Quiescence]
    #4262296 - 06/06/05 01:58 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Quiescence said:
Fair enough.. so 'nutritious' things that have a lot of trytophan. If you can find it in a health food store.. and it has a lot of tryptophan(not that it will list it on the box) .. then it is probably pretty darn good.

Think about what health experts say.. White bread is bad.. whole wheat bread is good.
White flour doesn't work well for mushies.. whole wheats and their flours do.. .. . . ..
But you can just add tryptophan. I think Agar was talking about it. Don't quote me on that. I know someone bought and was using it. But its tricky using it in a pure form.. he had some problems. So get it in a natural food.

Like that better?  :tongue:

:wink:

~Quiescence~

I read sonething Similar :thumbup:

I've never doubted Agar.

Cept one time. He posted a pic and said that he never posted about it before...But he did once before :stoner: LOL

-Gnostic

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

Re: When looking for substrate, what are the nutes to look for? [Re: IGnosticAbhorI]
    #4262298 - 06/06/05 02:00 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

if so why cant we simply add tryptophan to the substrate?

That's exactly what that thread is about. Adding it to the sub.

-Gnostic

OfflineMych
Stranger

Re: When looking for substrate, what are the nutes to look for? [Re: IGnosticAbhorI]
    #4262325 - 06/06/05 02:07 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

IGnosticAbhorI said:
Quote:

if so why cant we simply add tryptophan to the substrate?

That's exactly what that thread is about. Adding it to the sub.

-Gnostic

alright so we have tryptophan.. how about the other things to look for. carbs, fats, etc...
like if there was a PERFECT substrate, what would it consist of? what should not be in it?

InvisibleQuiescence
Intriguer

#4262377 - 06/06/05 02:20 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

I like bulgur wheat. I don't think anything is perfect. Do you have a perfect food to eat? You like some foods for some reasons.. and some for others....

If your asking for the exact nutritional needs of young growing mycelium.. like a food pyramid for mushrooms.. I have no clue.

If you find a natural grain that has tryptophan.. and it doesn't have any additives.. then it will probably work pretty well... If it was something that your mommy would have liked you to eat when you were small.. and you didn't want to cause it wansn't candy.. go with that.

Sorry.. not sure what else to tell ya...

Good luck.. try searching.. tell me if you find something cool.. Like Bulgur wheat. MMmmm. Did I tell you how much I liked that stuff?

~Quiescence~

--------------------

OfflineMych
Stranger

#4262809 - 06/06/05 10:14 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Quiescence said:
I like bulgur wheat. I don't think anything is perfect. Do you have a perfect food to eat? You like some foods for some reasons.. and some for others....

If your asking for the exact nutritional needs of young growing mycelium.. like a food pyramid for mushrooms.. I have no clue.

If you find a natural grain that has tryptophan.. and it doesn't have any additives.. then it will probably work pretty well... If it was something that your mommy would have liked you to eat when you were small.. and you didn't want to cause it wansn't candy.. go with that.

Sorry.. not sure what else to tell ya...

Good luck.. try searching.. tell me if you find something cool.. Like Bulgur wheat. MMmmm. Did I tell you how much I liked that stuff?

~Quiescence~

yea im basically looking for all the nutritional needs of mych. that way i can identify if one grain will be better than the other.. etc

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #4263214 - 06/06/05 01:11 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

>yea im basically looking for all the nutritional needs of mych

You will not find it.

Agar knows...hes probably the only one on the board...and I doubt he'd give it all to you exact anyway...and if he did...I doubt youd understand it. There are many things they need...heres a few exerpts from agar speaking on the subject..

"Hint - Cellulose, hemicellulose, lignin, fiber, carbohydrates, proteins, oils, lipids, polymers, vitamins, nitrogen, soluble macro mineral trace elements, and cultured (dead) cells of certain microbes, mixed into a holding material that has a high moisture & nutriant retention capacity, as well as good permeability to gas/air."

"carbon / nitrogen ratio <17:1, nitrogen 2.6%, phosphorus 0.2-05%, potassium 1.5-2%, calcium 1.5-2%, available boron <2 ppm, available ammonium <10 ppm, soluble salts 3.0-5 OdS/m.

I don't mean to burst any bubbles. But, It is not something anyone can find, nor buy at Walmart, or anywhere else for that matter. Nothing like it exists."

If your just looking for the best substrates to fruit from...stick with tried and true. Rye berries works the best fruiting by itself...but best is WBS spawned to poo...unless you get into making your own compost from the base ingredients as agar is doing.

Straight rye:

Horse poo:

What more do you need?

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

OfflineMych
Stranger

Re: When looking for substrate, what are the nutes to look for? [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4263291 - 06/06/05 01:37 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

scatmanrav said:
>yea im basically looking for all the nutritional needs of mych

You will not find it.

Agar knows...hes probably the only one on the board...and I doubt he'd give it all to you exact anyway...and if he did...I doubt youd understand it. There are many things they need...heres a few exerpts from agar speaking on the subject..

"Hint - Cellulose, hemicellulose, lignin, fiber, carbohydrates, proteins, oils, lipids, polymers, vitamins, nitrogen, soluble macro mineral trace elements, and cultured (dead) cells of certain microbes, mixed into a holding material that has a high moisture & nutriant retention capacity, as well as good permeability to gas/air."

"carbon / nitrogen ratio <17:1, nitrogen 2.6%, phosphorus 0.2-05%, potassium 1.5-2%, calcium 1.5-2%, available boron <2 ppm, available ammonium <10 ppm, soluble salts 3.0-5 OdS/m.

I don't mean to burst any bubbles. But, It is not something anyone can find, nor buy at Walmart, or anywhere else for that matter. Nothing like it exists."

If your just looking for the best substrates to fruit from...stick with tried and true. Rye berries works the best fruiting by itself...but best is WBS spawned to poo...unless you get into making your own compost from the base ingredients as agar is doing.
[/QUOTE]
alright that i can accept.. to an extent
[QUOTE]
Straight rye:

Horse poo:

What more do you need?

now this part definately makes sense :smile:

InvisibleHyphalTryptamin
Stranger

#4320273 - 06/21/05 12:31 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Well, i was wondering if a combination of both soaked quinoa and rye would be effective or not. Supposedly quinoa has the highest amount of trytophan than any other grain, but alas it cannot be used as a substrate alone, so therefore maybe it'd be succesful if incorporated with rye.

--------------------

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
    #4320336 - 06/21/05 12:50 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

LOL, later I will try to answer this in writing.
Right this minute, I am in the middle of something else.

--------------------

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: When looking for substrate, what are the nutes to look for? [Re: agar]
    #4320456 - 06/21/05 01:30 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

http://mushroomspawn.cas.psu.edu/Agaricus%20Mushroom%20Growing.pdf

http://mushroomspawn.cas.psu.edu/Preparation.htm

http://mushroomspawn.cas.psu.edu/PhaseII.htm

http://mushroomspawn.cas.psu.edu/SpawnGrowth.htm

Reading these, taking notes of the applicable parts & knowing cubes like a bit more N (dung loving @ N2.7) - will tell you about everything you need to know.

With the exception of how to put it into reality - unless you manufacture custom compost on a fair size scale.

--------------------

InvisibleQuiescence
Intriguer

Re: When looking for substrate, what are the nutes to look for? [Re: HyphalTryptamin]
    #4320607 - 06/21/05 02:30 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

I have a jar of pure quinoa that is colonizing right now. It goes a little slower... but you can do it. I plan on mixing it with a bulgur wheat/verm/quinoa jar.

That should turn out something pretty nice. :wink:

~Quiescence~

--------------------

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #4320643 - 06/21/05 02:40 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

#5 is after PC'ing

1st pic is day 6 M/S inoculate.
2nd pic is day 9 (shaken only once @ 20% colonization)
3rd pic is about 12 or 13 days.

WBS is good stuff - as spawn.
Once you spawn it to h/poo.
You will know why - I say so.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Rye Grain, Scales, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation