Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Autoclave, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinethashaman
Biophilosopher

Aliens Substrate vs. BRF coco-coir/vermiculite casings experiment. Will update...
    #4260631 - 06/05/05 07:00 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Hey all, well I experimented about 8-9 months ago with my first grow op simply using the PF TEK with 1/2 pint jars and brownrice flower/vermiculite substrate. Out of about 12 1/2 pint jars i was able to net about 165 grams dry. I also learned how to replenish my stack by making spore syringes from prints. This was kinda fun. Anyways I had to take down my op, because I was moving, the semester hit and bam!! I was shroomless and heartbroken. Now summer is here, and I have got a completely new set up. PMP with LECA & Continuous Airation via two long bubbling rods. I will have pics soon. It does look pretty sweet. This time I am going to try my hand at casing. I have access to an Autoclave this summer so I will probably do a 60/40 verm./coco coir tek for the casing layer and continue with the BRF till I master that substrate. I am going to keep a project log...and I will keep you all posted with pics...OK SO FINALLY I GET TO THE QUESTIONS...

I am going to attempt PESA and Ecuadorian strain, Two separate casings. Probably do 10-12 jars per casing. So I know my PMP keeps the humidity very constant at about 100%. This is kinda high from what I understand. So i bought a timer for my light source and the Airation system. What kind of cycling would you guys/ and gals recommend, so that my humididty isnt TOO high. The bulb is 120 watt growlite, and about two feet from the PMP. Also I CAN fruit casings in my PMP right? I would like to if possible because the continuous supply of O2 would keep me from having to fan. Any recommendations are welcomed...anyone who wants to help should post opinions/pointers/whatever else you want here. I am completely open to this project and look to have a blast! I will keep you all updated with pics frequently! My syringes should arrive in about a week or two. TTYL!

Edited by thashaman (06/26/05 02:44 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

Re: Couple of Questions before I get my operation back up and running. .. [Re: thashaman]
    #4260764 - 06/05/05 07:46 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Best thing to do...

Make holes in the top and stuff with polyfil, about 1/4 to 1/2.

That allows for more o2/co2 exchange and will drop the humidity...

Either try that or watch your Rh flux. a bunch...

-Gnostic

OfflineWronguy
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Couple of Questions before I get my operation back up and running. .. [Re: IGnosticAbhorI]
    #4260936 - 06/05/05 08:39 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

I was just going to tell him to forget about making cultivating so damn hard and go with the Double/Single Tub teks. Good looking out Gnostic. I don't know if you are advocating these teks, but I sure am.

Seriously though Thashaman, don't make this any more complicated than it has to be.

I went from this:

To this:

I did no fanning, no temps check, no misting. I simply let indirect sunlight do it's job during the natural course of the sun's rotation and left the container in a room that fluctuated from 68-75 degrees with some decent air circulation.

Casing provides all the humidity you will ever need. Perfect you casing techniques and you'll end up with nice even flushes. My flushes suffer because I did not take the time to make sure it was even.

Half of that first flush came in at 5 1/8 ounce dry. I still have some more drying to do too! Flush number 1 only. More are on the way.

Am I a cultivating genius? Hell no, I'm a fricking newbie with only 3 grows under my belt.

Invisibledeanofmean
mycophagous

Loc: PNW
Re: Couple of Questions before I get my operation back up and running. .. [Re: thashaman]
    #4261014 - 06/05/05 09:07 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

scrap the hydroton after pin show.
then all you need is a way to get ride of co2.
invert the PMP and leave the lid asquew.
Elvis has left the building.

Offlinethashaman
Biophilosopher

Re: Couple of Questions before I get my operation back up and running. .. [Re: deanofmean]
    #4266004 - 06/07/05 12:45 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

OK GUYS WELL MY SYRINGES ARRIVED. I WENT TO FIND THE BRF I HAD SAVED FOR A RAINY DAY AND WHOLLY SHIT, ONE OF MY ROOMMATES ATE IT! MADE SOME MUFFINS OR SOMETHING. SO WHAT DID I DO? I PREPARED TO EXPERIMENT WITH A SUBSTRATE I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF ANYONE TRYING OR USING BEFORE. I HAVE AN 8 MONTH OLD SPORE SYRINGE THAT WAS LAYIN' AROUND SO WITHOUT TOUCHING MY NEW ONES I WENT OUT TO HAVE A LITTLE FUN. I JUST ARRIVED AT MY CHEM LAB HERE AND BEGAN BY SOAKING SOME CRACKED WHEAT KERNALS IN WATER AND HEATING FOR APPROX. 30 MIN. I ADDED SOME VERMICULITE AND MIXED UNTIL HOMOGENOUS. PREPARED TWO 1/2 PINT JARS UNTIL I CAN GET SOME BRF TOMORROW. THEY ARE IN THE AUTOCLAVE RIGHT NOW. I WILL LIKELY GROW THESE TWO CAKES SEPARATELY FROM MY CASINGS. I WILL LET YOU ALL KNOW HOW THE NEW SUBSTRATE GOES.

Offlinethashaman
Biophilosopher

#4337472 - 06/25/05 11:20 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Ok well sorry for the delay in updates. Alot has happened since my last entry. The experimental 1/2 pinters were bunk. The substrate was ok I think but my spore syringes were so old that the cobweb easily took over. I scrapped em'. However I did prepare, autoclave and inoculate 6 1/2 pint Alien's substrate with B+ cubes. From those I made 3 casings. 6x6. All are in my PMP right now. In addition, I inoculated 4x 1 pint aliens substrate with the remaining B+. Waiting on those to fully colonize. I inoculated 4 1/2 pints with ordinary PF style BRF with my favorite strain of cube, PESA. Those were cased and also in PMP. The remainder of the syringe went to innoculating 6 x 1 pint BRF. Those are still colonizing. ONE THING TO SAY! AUTOCLAVES KICK ASS! 12 1 pint jars, 9 1/2 pint jars, some Aliens substrate, and some BRF, NO CONTAMS! I will update soon with pics. LAter all.

OfflineArcanePerception
The only rule isthe golden rule
 User Gallery

#4337601 - 06/25/05 11:56 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

If you have any spore solution left I would recomend making a Karo liquid culture for you next time quart jars colonize in about 10 days + or - 3 days and you wont have to keep making spore syringes or wonder if the homemade syringes are contaimed. And next time since you have access to the autoclave anyway you should make your jars with rye berries they make bigger more potent shrooms than any flour or grain based substrate but if you wont really nice shrooms a bulk tech with Horse poo is the greatest

--------------------
Oh, welcome to this world of fools
Of pink champagne and swimming pools

Offlinethashaman
Biophilosopher

Re: Couple of Questions before I get my operation back up and running. .. [Re: ArcanePerception]
    #4338169 - 06/26/05 02:42 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Hey thanks alot for the input. Yea' I see so many teks on this forum every day. I started with PF cakes about 8 months ago. I had decent yields for cakes. Now I am experimenting with casings. I'm definately having a blast learning about mycology. I study biochemistry and so I naturally love biology. I am less concerned with getting high potentcy/high yield ect. at this time and more concerned with collecting information/experimenting and just really having a good time. But I have definately heard about the horse poo teks and rye berries and undoubtedly will one day give this a try...As I said I will have pics soon.

OfflineHoss
Stranger
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
    #4338279 - 06/26/05 03:25 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

"I WENT TO FIND THE BRF I HAD SAVED FOR A RAINY DAY AND WHOLLY SHIT, ONE OF MY ROOMMATES ATE IT!"

LOL!!!!  :lol:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Autoclave, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation