Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineDruginduced
Stranger
 User Gallery
Talking to my doctor about medical marijuana!
    #4260261 - 06/05/05 03:03 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Hi guys, I just wanted to get some other people's opinions on this matter.
I have been seeing a psychologist for depression and he has prescribed me a few different pharmaceuticals that have done very little to help alleviate the depression. I recently started smoking marijuana and it has done so much more for me over a smaller amount of time than any of the pharms have for my depression, and over all ability to fuinctiion and be hapy in society. I am planning on telling the doctor of my use and the results I have obtained from using marijuana. Actually my next appointment is next weekend i beleive, so I have about 6-7 days until I will talk to him.

Because medical marijuana is OKed in the state i live in, do you think I would have a chance of having marijuana prescribed to me by my psycholgist? I plan on telling my doctor that I am going to end my use of effexor (the drug he currently has me on) and continue my marijuana use, whether he prescribes me it or not. Plus, it would be great to not have to worry about getting a ticket or what not if i was to ever get caught by a law enforcement officer.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Loc: I re·side [primarily] in...
Re: Talking to my doctor about medical marijuana! [Re: Druginduced]
    #4260329 - 06/05/05 03:22 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Go for it!

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

OfflineDruginduced
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #4260350 - 06/05/05 03:27 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I think I can expound upon my previous post a bit to make what i am thinking more clear.

When asking my doctor about medical marijuana, what are the chances I will be seen by him as a dirty druggie who just wants to get a Legal MJ hookup? And do psychologists even have the power to prescribe medical MJ? I have so many questions but so few answers

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
    #4260384 - 06/05/05 03:36 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

For starters, Psychologists can't prescribe anything. Only a Psychiatrist can. For another, depression isn't on any list of possible ailments which may be helped with marijuana. Sorry!

Edited by Le_Canard (06/05/05 03:42 PM)

Offlinetomk
King of OTD

Loc: PNW
    #4260414 - 06/05/05 03:43 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

What state are you in?

A psychologist cannot prescribe anything in many states, because they don't have an MD. Do you mean you are seeing a psychiatrist?

--------------------
"I am eternally free"

OfflineDruginduced
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Talking to my doctor about medical marijuana! [Re: tomk]
    #4260488 - 06/05/05 04:05 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Ahh yeah sory I always get the two mixed up. I meant a psychiatrist! I am dissapointed to hear that marijuana can't be prescribed for depression. But not a big deal really. I will tell my psychiatrist what I plan on telling him anyways...

OfflineDruginduced
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Talking to my doctor about medical marijuana! [Re: Le_Canard]
    #4260698 - 06/05/05 05:25 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

ToiletDuk said:
For starters, Psychologists can't prescribe anything. Only a Psychiatrist can. For another, depression isn't on any list of possible ailments which may be helped with marijuana. Sorry!

are you sure its not on the list marijuana can be prescribed for? i find tons of information about treating depression with maryjane on google

OfflineDruginduced
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #4260823 - 06/05/05 06:04 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

ToiletDuk said:
For another, depression isn't on any list of possible ailments which may be helped with marijuana. Sorry!

aCTUALLY Thanks, to Norml I did find proof. In Washington anyways.

Quote:

Norml.org said:
Washington

SUMMARY: Fifty-nine percent of voters approved Measure 692 on November 3, 1998. The law took effect on that day. It removes state-level criminal penalties on the use, possession and cultivation of marijuana by patients who possess "valid documentation" from their physician affirming that he or she suffers from a debilitating condition and that the "potential benefits of the medical use of marijuana would likely outweigh the health risks." Patients diagnosed with the following illnesses are afforded legal protection under this act: cachexia; cancer; HIV or AIDS; epilepsy; glaucoma; intractable pain (defined as pain unrelieved by standard treatment or medications); and multiple sclerosis. Other conditions are subject to approval by the Washington Board of Health. Patients (or their primary caregivers) may legally possess or cultivate no more than a 60-day supply of marijuana. The law does not establish a state-run patient registry.

AMENDMENTS: Yes. Last year, the Washington?s Medical Quality Assurance Commission approved Crohn?s disease, Hepatitis C, and "any disease, including anorexia, which results in nausea, vomiting, wasting, appetite loss, cramping, seizures, muscle spasms, and/or spasticity, when these symptoms are unrelieved by standard treatments."

Specifically: Read the AMENDMENTS part.

any disease which results in... wasting, [or] appetite loss

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

#4260830 - 06/05/05 06:06 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I haven't read about any state with medical MJ laws that approve it for treatment of depression, but I'm certainly not the final word here.

The California Compassionate Use Act of 1996 states " To ensure that seriously ill Californians have the right to obtain and use marijuana  for medical purposes where that medical use is deemed appropriate and has been recommended by a physician who has determined that the persons health would benefit from the use of marijuana in the treatment of cancer, anorexia, AIDS, chronic pain, spasticity, glaucoma, arthritis, migraine or any other illness for which marijuana provides relief."
That sounds pretty open to interpretation, so I may very well be wrong about prescribing weed for depression.

My personal experience is that weed didn't help my depression at all, but your milage may vary. Ask your doctor - it couldn't hurt. Good luck with your efforts! :laugh:

OfflinePowerTrip
Polypharmaceutical Shaman
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The void
    #4260882 - 06/05/05 06:23 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I thought it was nearly impossible to get medical marijuana in the states. I saw Montel Williams on CNN talking about trying to get the laws passed to allow the use of medical marijuana. He has some very painful and debilitating disease but I can't recall the name right now. He said something like only seven people in the US are on a program where they get medical marijuana given to them. I may be confusing his statement though, he said that seven people were getting it from the government as part of a study.

--------------------
I spit reality, instead of what you usually learn
and I refuse to be concerned with condescending advice
cause I'm the only motherfucker that can change my life

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
Re: Talking to my doctor about medical marijuana! [Re: PowerTrip]
    #4260889 - 06/05/05 06:25 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

He's probably talking about the federal government. The state governments are much more lenient in handing out medical MJ.

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

Re: Talking to my doctor about medical marijuana! [Re: PowerTrip]
    #4260899 - 06/05/05 06:28 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I don't live there, but California has legalised medical-use marijuana, I'm sure. There may be other states as well. It's hard to get passed in most states as the anti-drug zealots come out in force whenever something like this is proposed....  :frown:

Invisiblepsyillyazul
verbal doubleedged sword BFTD

Loc: zion
    #4260969 - 06/05/05 06:51 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Have you told your Psych that you smoke?? They generally don't like to be lied to on the questionaires that you should have filled out. He would have wanted to know about 'foriegn' chemicals in the mix while in his care. I have much the same situation with depression and THC. I was diagnosed with social anxiety and depression a while ago. I was on Prozac, Zoloft, Lexapro, Hytrin, Trazadone, Xanax... I seem to have a reverse reaction to THC when compared to other users. A lot of people report marijuana induced depression and anxiety, but with me it truly is medicinal. Chills me the funk out, quick. What has really done the trick for my depression symptoms is becoming aware of the causes, or the conditioning. Mushrooms have saved my life in this respect. Dumping all that bullshit on the table and ironing it out is the only way to resolve imprinted emotional conflict, in my opinion. Haven't considered a permit for weed, haven't seemed to need one yet. Rad idea though.

OfflineDruginduced
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Talking to my doctor about medical marijuana! [Re: psyillyazul]
    #4260983 - 06/05/05 06:56 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

psyillyazul said:
Have you told your Psych that you smoke?? They generally don't like to be lied to on the questionaires that you should have filled out. He would have wanted to know about 'foriegn' chemicals in the mix while in his care.

First time i ever used pot was about 1.5 month ago or so. Ive been seeing the doc for about 4 months.

Invisiblepsyillyazul
verbal doubleedged sword BFTD

Loc: zion
    #4261551 - 06/05/05 09:04 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I see. The hell with pharmaceuticals! I think nature has the cure.

Offlinebrowndustin
dustybuddy

Re: Talking to my doctor about medical marijuana! [Re: psyillyazul]
    #4267359 - 06/07/05 10:53 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Pay attention to the news yesterday? The Bush administration raped everyone in a 6-3 vote that federal law still reigns over state to state laws that govern medical marijuana use. That means if you're using it medicinally, no one cares. They're still gonna kick your door down, still going to ransack your house, and still treat you like a criminal who's using a class 1 drug.

This is shitty news. But go ahead and try getting that card. We'll win the battle some day.

--------------------
When the stress burns my brain it's like acid raindrops
maryjane is the only thing that makes the pain stop

Offlinefloydguitar
smooth guitarist

Re: Talking to my doctor about medical marijuana! [Re: browndustin]
    #4267714 - 06/07/05 12:32 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

go for the worst he will say is no

InvisibleSociety
Mmmm... pizza
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Talking to my doctor about medical marijuana! [Re: floydguitar]
    #4268917 - 06/07/05 05:27 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Just as a reiteration of what others have said, there's no way in hell any doctor would prescribe marijuana for depression anywhere in the world. If it was found out that a doctor did this in the US, they'd lose their job and 'freedom' faster than a rabbit mates.

And if you tell your psychologist, they'll probably recommend strongly against it. I honestly don't believe that marijuana is a good way to treat depression, ESPECIALLY in the long term. Long term usage usually leads to decreased lung health.

--------------------
Delicious Pizza

OfflineDruginduced
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Talking to my doctor about medical marijuana! [Re: Society]
    #4269761 - 06/07/05 09:25 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

SocietyRejects said:
Long term usage usually leads to decreased lung health.

Ever heard of vaporizers?

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

Re: Talking to my doctor about medical marijuana! [Re: Society]
    #4270257 - 06/07/05 11:50 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

SocietyRejects said:
Just as a reiteration of what others have said, there's no way in hell any doctor would prescribe marijuana for depression anywhere in the world. If it was found out that a doctor did this in the US, they'd lose their job and 'freedom' faster than a rabbit mates.

And if you tell your psychologist, they'll probably recommend strongly against it. I honestly don't believe that marijuana is a good way to treat depression, ESPECIALLY in the long term.

I agree, speaking from personal experience. In the darkest days of my severe depression, weed only made me more depressed, increased the guilt I felt, and sent my anxiety through the roof....

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract