Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineEightball
whore consumer
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Software for geneology and logging of cultures
    #4222374 - 05/26/05 12:05 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I was planning on using a bar code system linked to a database to keep track of petris, culture tubes, and grain masters, as well as their casings/tubes/blocks and their fruits. Basically this would let me make sure i dont overextend a culture line as well as give me a very accurate log of all mycelium produced from a parent source, its charactoristics, and its children. Also by placing a barcode on the sides of petri dishes, they can remain stacked and scanned to determine identity of petri. This also makes labeling petris easier because I will have a function where i hi-lite a parent mycelium source and then click something to produce X amount of offspring. It can then generate the unique id's for the barcodes and set up all the information in the database by itself. Just click, set #, and print the bar codes. The recommended barcode scanner for this would be wireless with an LCD on it to display critical information about the culture. ie species, generation etc. This may seem a bit over involved for the average hobbiest but very nessesary for large libraries.

Probably could even work for spore vendors to keep track of where each batch came from to isolate potential contaminated batches and also link the spore offspring back to a specific agar culture.

My big idea for this program is to eventually link it to a table top petri UV sterilizer + agar filler + bar code labeler + parafilm wrapper. Only thing is they run about $12k so im going to try and design one myself. But the software should be pretty useful regaurdless of weither or not I actually get around to creating an autonomous petri station.

Heres the elements of my database as it stands now.

Species, Generation, Parent_id, Specimin_id, Speed, Health, Date_Created, Locaton, Specimin_type(ie petri, culture tube, grain master,spores), sku Code (generated from the previous data)

So if anyone has any features they want to see in it, let me know. Also any other pieces of data to keep track of besides what i just listed?

--------------------
If you're frightened of dying and you're holding on.you'll see devils tearing your life away.
But...if you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels
Freeing you from the earth.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offline4hodmt
AspiringMycologist

Re: Software for geneology and logging of cultures [Re: Eightball]
    #4223926 - 05/26/05 06:57 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I was just thinking of doing this very thing early. try googling "barcode software"

--------------------
all posts made by 4hodmt are entirely ficticious. the user 4hodmt has noa ffiliation with any company, or organization; any endorsements made by 4hodmt are to be considered a joke. any similarity between a person (or story) 4hodmt is talking about is entirely happenstance. 4hodmt is not to be taken seriously under any circumstance. furthermore, he does not know what he is talking about. Please ignore anything 4hodmt has to say.

_______

"Trust me, I'm from the future.

Actually I'm not from the future, but I did lived there for a while."

- Baby Hitler

Offlinexburn
V card
Re: Software for geneology and logging of cultures [Re: 4hodmt]
    #4224008 - 05/26/05 07:23 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

probably would want to be able to choose between some preset agar recipes to file it under and be able to add your own presets. Just so you can keep track of what kind of agar you have been transfering to avoid sensece. I dont think i really made much sense right here. But i tried. AAAAA my brain hurts

--------------------
Check out the official MushroomWiki at http://www.mushroomwiki.com. Stop by and contribute.

OfflineEightball
whore consumer
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Software for geneology and logging of cultures [Re: xburn]
    #4224384 - 05/26/05 09:22 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

excellent point xburn. Keeping track of the agar is definitely very important. I'm going to add that right now.

--------------------
If you're frightened of dying and you're holding on.you'll see devils tearing your life away.

OfflineJpilot
Stranger
Male
Loc: Netherlands, The
    #4252280 - 06/03/05 01:24 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Hey, this is a really cool idea. I was looking for this a while ago, to keep track of my cultures. Do you have any idea when the software is ready ?

OfflineEightball
whore consumer
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Software for geneology and logging of cultures [Re: Jpilot]
    #4255418 - 06/04/05 09:50 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

basically i want to get ahold of a barcode scanner first but really I could be working on it now. Adding the scanner should basically be just adding a 'keyboard' from what i've read about em so far. You scan something and it sends that something via keyboard ps2 port. So as far as time it takes to make it, probably a couple of days. Plus of course theres going to be data types i forgot to add but really for databases thats a quick fix. I could have it done today if i had some adderall to stay interested in programming. And thats another thing, the language. I was thinking php/sql and just keep the shit on some web server. Other people could log in to access their data or i guess they could set the php/sql up on their own server. But yeah the programming language is another big decision that can possibly prevent a large # of people from using it (ie if i wrote it in vb net vs MS Access report vs php/sql).

--------------------

OfflineEightball
whore consumer
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #4255753 - 06/04/05 12:04 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

So i think i'm going with php/sql on a centralized server allowing shroomery people or whoever else to log into their own account/workspace.  This way if anyone trades cultures, the new owner will be able to reference the geneology of the culture too.  This would allow people to also get an idea of what media a specific culture as been grown on in the past to account for any nutrient diversity required.  I think participation will be the hardest aspect to overcome because the system works well in theory when theres a nice population of users using the geneology tracking, trading cultures, changing up mediums, and eventually producing new 'alpha' generations of the species then distributing them and repeat.

Also by using php/sql it makes the software work with virtually all OSs and can remotely access your data from anywhere with a net connection.  By keeping it web based it also means I (probably more like Tak since he's hosting it) can possibly have some minimal compensation through banner ads and keeps the actual database and php code protected for proprietary (and security) reasons if I ever decide to make it commercial software and able to be installed on someone else's server (ie. some University wants to use it to maintain their private collection, damn right they're gonna pay for it).

I think the only seriously recommended tools to get would be a barcode scanner ( maybe a cuecat for like $5-10 on ebay) and labels for your printer to print the barcodes on.  If you have one of the wireless barcode scanners or one of those retail barcode printers, more power to ya.  :thumbup:

As always, any ideas are welcome.

--------------------

OfflineJpilot
Stranger
Male
    #4256553 - 06/04/05 04:22 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

On the dutch eBay site I found an USB barcode scanner once. It was about 75 euro. When you scan the barcode ( it recognizes almost all barcode types ) the data will be put in the input field of the software. You could also use you're keyboard to type the number by hand.

I'd rather run the software on my own server, than always logging in on someones server. Otherwise no Internet means, no use of your software.

Does the barcode itself also also says's what species you have, or do you have to scan it first ?
If you're software works the way i think I will buy a barcode scanner and printer. ( should be around 100/150 euro )

edit:
Let me know if I can help you somehow.

Edited by Jpilot (06/04/05 04:23 PM)

OfflineEightball
whore consumer
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #4257092 - 06/04/05 07:07 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

you would have to scan the barcode and have it set up to display on the barcode scanner itself. The barcode would basically store a alpha numeric string, the reader would simply be sending this data as keyboard input to wherever the mouse cursor is or whats "in focus". It would likely be up to some intermediate script to handle sending the data to display back to the reader. This reader of course would have to have an lcd.

For initially i cant really support returning data back to the reader. I have no way of getting ahold of test units and no real time. I will look more into it but unless they have some nice native solution in most of the lcd units, it will be a while. So just grab a cheap barcode scanner with no lcd initially. If you search ebay for 'cuecat barcode' you can find a thing that looks like a cat for $5-10 which handles barcodes.

--------------------

OfflineJpilot
Stranger
Male
    #4258788 - 06/05/05 04:08 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Well I think the best way is just to finish the software, and enter the barcode numbers with your keyboard, and just print the labels by yourself. If you think the software does it's work the way you like, you can buy an additional scanner and printer later.

Invisibletak
geo's henchman
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: nowhereland
    #4258859 - 06/05/05 06:01 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Definately. No one needs to go out and buy a bunch of shit. You can print barcodes with your home printer. And you can enter the numbers with your keyboard, but even easier can probably select them from a list.

--------------------
The DJ's took pills to stay awake and play for seven days.

OfflineEightball
whore consumer
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Software for geneology and logging of cultures [Re: tak]
    #4260027 - 06/05/05 01:38 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

gun range closed due to rain so im gonna be working on this now.

--------------------

Offlinexburn
V card
    #4260266 - 06/05/05 03:05 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

mmmmm adderooll

--------------------
Check out the official MushroomWiki at http://www.mushroomwiki.com. Stop by and contribute.

OfflineEightball
whore consumer
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Software for geneology and logging of cultures [Re: xburn]
    #4264778 - 06/06/05 06:11 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

just dropping by for an update. Tak and I have been working on the site, registered a domain, and pretty much got the database structure established. So now its basically PHP/SQL work + making it look pretty + thinking of various analysis functions to include. I've thought of some interesting directions the site can eventually take, facilitating trading and easy tracking of genetics of a strain that was aquired through the site (from some other member). We'll keep you updated and eventually post the URL when we are ready for a public test.

--------------------

OfflineEightball
whore consumer
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #4264799 - 06/06/05 06:18 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

From what I've heard of this website and 'software', I would...
You may choose only one

Votes accepted from (06/06/05 06:18 PM) to (No end specified)
View the results of this poll

OfflineJpilot
Stranger
Male
    #4276351 - 06/09/05 02:25 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I'm currently playing with some barcodes. May I ask.. What type of barcode do you use.

I'm already looking for an scanner on eBay :smile:

OfflineEightball
whore consumer
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #4277256 - 06/09/05 06:23 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I believe we're using the "3 of 9" set. Using a php script to turn it into an image. Taks gonna be in the process of moving this weekend so ill prolly be finishing up the rest of the project. Not a hell of a lot left to do, dynamic printing options so people can set it up so it prints on their own label sheets. I would love to get ahold of all the standard sizes if anyone has any place to find em. Otherwise it may be a crude system of inputting the label dimensions, their offset from the sides, and the spacing between the labels. This crude system can very quickly turn into some nice presets saved to the database from users who submit them with like the label manufacturer and 'model' number etc.

Besides that image stuff, theres some random tedius sql to add and a load of form validation crap to keep users from f'n up data inputted.

--------------------

OfflineJpilot
Stranger
Male
    #4310742 - 06/18/05 12:05 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Time for an update , how far are you :laugh:

OfflineEightball
whore consumer
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #4312587 - 06/18/05 11:39 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

pretty much done as far as functionality.  Still a bit of tedious data entry left and some polishing up of the user interface.  Can create trees for different strains you have and view them in a 'tree' kind of setup.  Tak's been pretty busy with moving and i've been way too distracted with school/friends/other work this week but its just about ready.  Also I had some input from someone doing a multi room and strain gourmet grow and they wanted a timeline sort of feature to record and predict future yeilds and cycle times.  With the current platform we have developed, this addition of functionality should be fairly simple, but not likely implemented in the first public version. So yeah check back in a few days and hopefully we'll be ready for users.  :laugh:

--------------------

OfflineEightball
whore consumer
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #4361262 - 07/01/05 09:03 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

wow its been a while. Tak finally got settled in to his new place and we spent quite a bit of time lately on the code. We still need graphics done and a little bit of tweaking to the code and its ready to go. The past 2 days we've really done nothing waiting on a dedicated server to get setup, but i believe we should be moved in this weekend at some point.

As for the cue cat barcode scanners, very cheap on ebay ($10 ea) and you have to make one slight modification (open the cover and clip a wire) to get it to not send encrypted data to the pc. Then you just plug it in, install driver, and scan barcode. The text of the barcode will be entered wherever the cursor is or text box thats in focus. Very cheap way to speed up any barcode reading (as opposed to reading->typing). I would love to buy like 100 of these and give em away to shroomery people but sorta broke at the moment.

Anyways, stay tuned for updates.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags