Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisibleyousuck
Stranger

Need experienced advice on dunking
    #4259618 - 06/05/05 01:11 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

my first flush resulted in a big crop, my second flush was half of my first flush, and i have yet to even see a 3rd flush (working with grains + 50/50 casing). i know this is because of the water loss, however when i tried to dunk a casing before, it would turn to mudd and fall apart. i tried misting the hell outta my casing after the 1st flush, but it apparently didnt do anything. How can i dunk a casing without it turning into mudd?

ive thought about putting a wire mesh inbetween the casing and the substrate so that i can lift the casing up, and then dunk the substrate, but im not sure what effect that would have on the casing as a whole.

ive also noticed my casing pulling away at the sides as it gets older, and figured that maybe i can pour some water down into the container so that the substrate has a water bath to absorb moisture from.

any advice is appreciated.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleHolydiver
Stranger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The midnight sea
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Need experienced advice on dunking [Re: yousuck]
    #4259627 - 06/05/05 01:14 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Regular casings are hard to dunk because the casing surface turns to mush, as you noticed. That's why when I dunk H/poo substrates I gently remove the old casing surface, and cover with a thin layer of verm. Vermiculte as a casing layer is very forgiving, and receives less abuse during harvest time. So, in a nutshell, it's hard to dunk anything with a regular casing layer for that reason. You can look into removing the old casing and reapplying a thin verm layer if interested.

Dunking is invaluable, the tricky part is figuring out how to work an effective casing layer in there somehow.

--------------------
To find a place to live between the negatives and positives.

Invisibleyousuck
Stranger

Re: Need experienced advice on dunking [Re: Holydiver]
    #4259651 - 06/05/05 01:25 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

ok, point noted, but what about my other 2 ideas? are the practicable? will having my substrate sit in a water bath help remoisturize the casing?

Invisibleyousuck
Stranger

#4260191 - 06/05/05 04:41 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

bump.

Invisibleyousuck
Stranger

#4260880 - 06/05/05 08:22 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

ok screw the other idea, just give me some input on the substrate water bath idea.

i honestly dont see why a substrate cant be in a constant state of dunk.

also, is it necessary to have a thick casing layer if all it does is provide a micro enviroment for the substrate?

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Mountain Northwest
Trusted Cultivator
    #4261226 - 06/05/05 09:52 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

The water bath idea will result in bacterial contamination. Also, for pins to form you want a steady rate of evaporation from your casing layer. If it's soaking wet, it water logs and nothing will fruit. You can dunk bulk substrates between flushes, but even then, you're going to get roughly 75% of your total harvest on the first flush, so if yours has already flushed twice, you're beating a dead horse. Sure you can nurse a third and even fourth flush eventually, but the real estate that tray occupies would be better put to use with a new one. I've had the best yield per square foot per year by flushing twice, then burying the leftovers in the garden. I get a pleasant surprise after each good rainfall and my grow areas produce very well.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineWronguy
Trusted Cultivator
    #4261247 - 06/05/05 09:58 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

yousuck said:any advice is appreciated.

Don't do it. I have no doubt that there is a small benefit to dunking, but I can tell you from my meager experience that the difference between doing it and not doing it was negligible.

Try not to make your cultivating endeavors so complicated. Dunking adds more complexity to the grow and can easily ruin your substrate if you don't what you're doing. Keep it simple.

Invisibleyousuck
Stranger

Re: Need experienced advice on dunking [Re: Wronguy]
    #4262375 - 06/06/05 02:20 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

point noted.

Quote:

is it necessary to have a thick casing layer if all it does is provide a micro enviroment for the substrate?

could i get an answer on this one? does casing depth have any effect on the flush?

Edited by yousuck (06/06/05 02:27 AM)

InvisibleQuiescence
Intriguer
 Arcade Champion: Hexxagon

#4262474 - 06/06/05 03:05 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

The casing layer should be about 1/4 the depth of the substrate or so. So 1" substrate = 1/4" casing. 4" substrate = 1" casing. But thats just a guide.

The casing provides extra water for the mushrooms. And since they are 90% water.. that is a pretty good thing.

But probably a bad idea to put a 1" casing layer on a 1" substrate.. it will take a long time to colonize.. increasing contamination risk...

~Quiescence~

--------------------
God raised up the fellow who was relaxed in the company of tax collectors, prostitutes and other outsiders, and went on to say that many of them would be welcomed to God?s banquet table long before those self-righteous people on display at church.

Invisibleyousuck
Stranger

Re: Need experienced advice on dunking [Re: Quiescence]
    #4263012 - 06/06/05 11:55 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

heh, yeah, i did that before, but strangely enough it didnt take any longer to fruit, only an extra 2 days i think.

thanks people, this has been a big help.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation